Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Defining A Higher Power

The concept of a Higher Power is a real deal breaker for some, especially those who, like myself, were a part of abusive religion that was way more about "Power," than about "Higher" thinking.

As a recovering addict of Religion, it was a struggle to sit through a lot of the religious vs spirtual sharing I heard. Little by little, I was able to disconnect myself from the impact I felt from others to realize that the part, "of our [own] understanding," was key to my own definition of Higher Power. Nowdays, I pray for "serenity, courage and wisdom." Much like the trinity I was raised on, this Higher Power suffices to meet my spiritual needs...

What are your thoughts and feelings regarding a Higher Power? {:>} rd

Ok....you asked.... ;)

Any "religion" that centers on man and man's power and ability is destined to fail.

The one true God of the Bible, who is the sovereign of the universe is the only one worthy of praise and glory. And that is our purpose. To glorify God. It is HIS wrath we are under, and He has gifted us with the answer to that problem through the Lord Jesus Christ because he loves us. God is not a power hungry ogre just waiting to cast us into Hell. He is perfect love and joy waiting with outstretched arms for us to answer His call.

We are not banging our fists on the gates of Heaven, wanting to be let in, yet He is keeping us at bay, instead... We are all running as fast and as hard as we can straight for Hell, but in His divine sovereignty and love he stops this one, and this one, and that one, turning us to Him and welcoming us into His family and Kingdom in eternal splendor. That's where I am.

I may have never been quite so vocal on this site about this subject, so I may lose friends, but... that's what I think and feel about it. The Holy Spirit confirms this in my soul.

Since you asks....I do believe in god, however I'm not much of a believer of religion. I feel that religion is mans way of humanizing god. I believe in karma and doing things for the greater good. I was raised and married in the catholic church, and I just have a hard time with l many of their ideology and concepts. I have a hard time believing that it is against gods wishes that I take birth control. I have a hard time believing that there would be a god out there that hates and judges as much as religion does. I love all people, gay straight, transsexual, disabled, ect.

I do not oppose those who are hardcore religious fanatics, just don't preach my way and I won't preach your way same for those that don't have any spiritual/religious beliefs. We live in a beautiful world filled with amazing things, I choose to believe that there is something bigger than us at work here.

I guess I am wondering about A "Higher Power" and how he/ she/ it relates to addiction and recovery...

I guess I am wondering about A "Higher Power" and how he/ she/ it relates to addiction and recovery...

When we are born again in Christ, we are freed from the bondage of sin and death and decay. We have the God-granted ability and power to stop these things. When one is dead in transgression and sin, we are powerless to it. Christ sets the prisoner free in every way.

I was raised in the Catholic church, including Catholic school. My parents were only doing what their parents did, but I never felt comfortable with how much praise and reverence was given to priests, bishops, and especially the Pope. I actually have one priest, one Brother, and a bishop in my family. I'm afraid to speak frankly about this subject, partial fear of being struck down by my family and God alike, but I always felt that just because you "decided" to enter the priesthood doesn't mean your intentions are good, and that goes for any ministry. Because of this, I have NEVER allowed my daughter to spend any amount of time alone with clergy. You can say what you want, but I was given my daughter to love and protect her, even if that means going to hell for it. I love God, but no man on earth is God, therefore, I always have one eye open during prayer. Having said that, I will take a kind, caring spiritual person anyday, or a mean, manipulative religious fanatic.

I was raised in the Catholic church' date=' including Catholic school. My parents were only doing what their parents did, but I never felt comfortable with how much praise and reverence was given to priests, bishops, and especially the Pope. I actually have one priest, one Brother, and a bishop in my family. I'm afraid to speak frankly about this subject, partial fear of being struck down by my family and God alike, but I always felt that just because you "decided" to enter the priesthood doesn't mean your intentions are good, and that goes for any ministry. Because of this, I have NEVER allowed my daughter to spend any amount of time alone with clergy. You can say what you want, but I was given my daughter to love and protect her, even if that means going to hell for it. I love God, but no man on earth is God, therefore, I always have one eye open during prayer. Having said that, I will take a kind, caring spiritual person anyday, or a mean, manipulative religious fanatic.[/quote']

Hmm, I too was raised Catholic, and attended Catholic school. I, however, dont see your point. You must be speaking of your personal relationships with your family that are clergy. But I do,agree that there can be overboard religious people, but that comes in every religion. Hypocrisy knows no bounds

Sorry, just read your comment, after I finished my rant.

I truly believe that all things are possible through Christ Jesus. My faith has helped me through so many things in life, including single parenthood, being the parent of a "special needs" child, and even divorce. Although I may not acknowledge my faith with every breath that I take, I know that without God's help, or what I seem to be His help, I struggle. Whether I'm at work or at home, I know that I'm not doing it alone, if I were, I never would've made it.

As far as my food addiction, it never occurred to me to pray for deliverance from it. Maybe, it's because I'm not as debilitated by it, or feel that my health is not so bad, that I NEED to ask for His help with it. When I think about people dying with cancer, my being fat and diabetic somehow doesn't seem like all that big of a deal. I have started asking for His help with this surgery, because I feel the uncertainty and fear trying to take over, before I even have the surgery.

Hmm' date=' I too was raised Catholic, and attended Catholic school. I, however, dont see your point. You must be speaking of your personal relationships with your family that are clergy. But I do,agree that there can be overboard religious people, but that comes in every religion. Hypocrisy knows no bounds[/quote']

First off, don't make assumptions about me or my family. My comment is an opinion and just that, as this is a public forum.

What I meant is that just as a doctor decided to go to law school, does it mean that he/she wanted to care and heal others? Maybe. When a lawyer decides to go to law school, are his/her motives altruistic? Maybe. When a priest decides to go to the seminary, does he only want to serve God and God's people? Maybe. The only person that knows what is truly in a person's heart is God, not anyone else on this earth. I think the reverence should be reserved for the God, who made the ultimate sacrifice, His son.

When we are born again in Christ, we are freed from the bondage of sin and death and decay. We have the God-granted ability and power to stop these things. When one is dead in transgression and sin, we are powerless to it. Christ sets the prisoner free in every way.

How does this impact on addiction? Lots of very good Christians struggle with OCD and addictive behavior?

I think we have to be careful about taking another's inventory when discussing faith related issues....

First off, don't make assumptions about me or my family. My comment is an opinion and just that, as this is a public forum.

What I meant is that just as a doctor decided to go to law school, does it mean that he/she wanted to care and heal others? Maybe. When a lawyer decides to go to law school, are his/her motives altruistic? Maybe. When a priest decides to go to the seminary, does he only want to serve God and God's people? Maybe. The only person that knows what is truly in a person's heart is God, not anyone else on this earth. I think the reverence should be reserved for the God, who made the ultimate sacrifice, His son.

Exactly. Im not assuming anything, just going off my own experience. I was agreeing with you! Please dont take offense, as that wasnt my intent

How does this impact on addiction? Lots of very good Christians struggle with OCD and addictive behavior?

This is true. My best friend is tormented by anxiety and depression and she is one of the strongest Christians I know. Sanctification (becoming more like Christ) is sometimes a slow process, but is one that God promises us he is working in us. When one is first saved, it's like God has us by the ankles and is shaking all the sin out of our pockets. A lot of it falls right out and away, and some sticks like glue, but the process will continue. Christ has already accomplished these things for us so that if we are in Him, we HAVE the power to not do....whatever it is that needs to be stopped.

That does not necessarily mean we will achieve it immediately because we will be fighting our flesh until we die. What we have is HOPE (expected dependancy) that we CAN put off these behaviors and continue to ask God for relief from it, because it is His will that we do not sin. And when we pray according to His will, He will grant us what we ask. It may not always be in our timing, because often times we have something to learn from our situation, and sometimes someone ELSE has something to learn from our situation.

I told you....I'll blabber all you want ;) Get me to talkin' about Jesus, and I'll go on and on! I hope any of it makes sense and/or helps....

These are things I have learned and personally understand to be true.

As a recovering person, I rely on the science of addiction studies, which assures me that addiction is not evil or sin, it is a disease. Some of the behaviors that are symptomatic of my disease are serious and must be adddressed. Not through guilt and shame, but by the most effective recovery techniques, added to a basic spiritual factor that is also effective in breaking the bond substances and addictive behaviors have over me. Science also tells me that meditation, prayer, sharing, confession of behaviors, and journaling, as well as other spiritual activities, are part of successful recovery.

Chapter Five of The Big Book of AA tells us:

"Do not be discouraged. No one among us has been able to maintain anything like per­ fect adherence to these principles. We are not saints. The point is, that we are willing to grow along spiritual lines. The principles we have set down are guides to progress. We claim spiritual progress rather than spiritual perfection.

"Our description of the alcoholic, the chapter to the agnostic, and our personal adventures before and after make clear three pertinent ideas:

-- That we were alcoholic and could not manage our own lives.

-- That probably no human power could have re­ lieved our alcoholism.

-- That God could and would if He were sought.

-- Being convinced, we were at Step Three, which is that we decided to turn our will and our life over to God as we understood Him. Just what do we mean by that, and just what do we do?"

This is where action must be added to faith...The 12 Steps helps us begin the process....{:>} rd