Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aceves Sleeve August 7

Hi All

I did not get to see a California sunset, but I did go to the beach early this morning. I took a few moments with my feet in the Water to speak to God, and hopefully he is listening. I have had an issue with the fact that I am permanently altering this body that he (GOD) made.I have no tatoos or piercings , I am healthy except for my weight, I dont want to push my luck. Oddly enough, I felt his presence on that beach. I recieved no reassurance, but also recieved no doubt that what I was doing was the right thing.

I returned my rental car and caught the shuttle back to the airport at 9:30am and the driver (Ramon) was already there. We waited on my 2 sleevemates, one showed up and the other one did not. We got in the van and headed towards Mexico. It took about 2 hours and we were at the Hospital. The hospital is small compared to most US hospials, but have no doubt it is a real working hospital.

Yulonda (Nina's mother) was waiting and quickly took us both through 4 tests. We gave urine and blood, did a chest Xray and an EKG. To show Gods sense of humor here....I pulled off my shirt for the EKG and Yulonda and the young (very attractive too) nurse started laughing and went out the door (just what a fat guy fears the most right....). A minute later the nurse comes back in with some shaving cream and a razor, apparently my chest was too hairy to stick the EKG thingies to.So now I have a spot about the size of a raquet ball shaved in the center of my chest. It looks like my third nipple now as I have hickies where the suction cups were!!!

We met with Dr Campos for about 30 minutes, then Yolanda came in and gave us final instructions, and we paid our fee. We were allowed to have a last supper and up to 2 last drinks (I had no drinks). She gave us an antibiotic and a sleeping pill to be taken no later than 10pm. Ramon then drove us to Hotel Lucerna and checked us in around 3pm. The hotel is very nice, has 2 pools and 3 resaturants. The rooms are on par with an older Crowne Plaza, with full tile bathroom. I went for a swim for a couple hours and then to dinner.

This process runs like a well oiled machine so far.....lets hope it goes that way tomorrow.

Thanks for the update speedbump! Please keep 'em coming. I'll keep you in my thoughts tomorrow, I'm sure you'll do great!

We are headed to the airport to meet Ramon!! Wishing speed bump best of luck!! Wish me luck too!! It's hot hot hot here and in Mexicali!!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great!!

Hi All

We got picked up at the hotel at 7 sharp. Ramon brought us to the hospital and he ushered us to our rooms. I changed into my Hospital Gown and the parade of doctors and anesthesiologist etc came through. I met Dr Aceves and he seem like such a genuine guy, he informed me that there would be 5 additional doctors in the OR to observe. At first I was a little put-off by it, abut then I thought "I am never gonna see any of these people again, so what.

The anesthisis came in and explained how he would put me under. They use an epdural and general anesthesis. They sedated me to the point that I did not even remember getting the Epidural. The next thing I knew I was in recovery. They would not let me out of recovery until I could move my legs. So I started with a toe, then a foot and then the other toe and so on. I wanted that oxegen mask off my face, so I was working it as much as I could. I have been very itchy ever since surgery.

They brought me to my room and I dont remember too much of the next cuple hours, I can remember mostly after 3pm. My wife called and was very upset that Yolanda had not called as promised, and then she told me that I had a Hiatal Hernia repaired also. They kept asking if I had urinated yet and I was still dead down there. it took until 2am to start urinating, but then every half hour I had to go again. My bladder normalized this morning.

At around 7am, the newbies showed up (met Moonrisen) and we did our blue dye leak test. I passed and so I got the tray with tea, cranberry juice and apple juice. I am working on the tea right now.

Good so far: I speak no spanish but have been able to communicate fine with everyone. Dr Campos and Dr Aceves are great and I have seen them both 3 times so far (along with the 5 other doctors).The hospital is clean, and always being cleaned. So Far a well oiled machine.

Not So Good: We had night staff that were either cutting up loudly or completely asleep. I had to go in the hall to wake the nurse after 20 minutes of my drip machine beeping, she was out cold.

Speedbump,

SOOOOOOOO happy that everything went smoothly for you and that you passed your first leak test!! Glad to hear that Dr. Aceves is as great as everyone says he is. Were you able to get liquids down easily? It seems fairly common that sleevers also have to have a hernia repaired in the procedure as well. Thank you for posting your experience...it is so helpful to all of us coming after you! Keep us updated....sending you good energy.

OBTB

I can drink small sips with no problem so far, I just had a 8oz glass of gatorade over the past half hour, now Im working on the apple juice. You will definatly know when you hit full, it is a little painful, Ive been burping after almost every sip. Not the bear growls im used to, but little bursts. They took my IV out today and then I headed straight for the shower. That was a real turning point for me, getting clean and shaved, and in my own PJ;s.