Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nightline "weigh Less Drink More"

Did anyone else watch nightline last night, 6-18-12? It was "Weigh Less, Drink More?" about transferring your food addiction to alcohol. They talk about Carnie Wilson & Beth Sheldon-Badore, AKA: Melting Mama of Bariatric Bad Girls Club.

I'm only 1 month out, so I haven't had alcohol yet. Does it really affect you quicker & sober up quickly? What do y'all think about this phenomenon? Have you experienced it? I've never had a problem with alcohol, so it makes me nervous to drink anything.

I didn't see it....so what is it....Carnie Wilson is drinking all her meals now? I've heard it's very common. Alcohal is full of empty calories.....but I for one can not wait to have a glass of wine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's mostly an RnY thing, in terms of physical differences that cause alcohol to hit your system faster and be processed differently, which wouldn't happen with VSG. That said, transfer addictions (ie, psychological addictions transferring from food to shopping, drinking, etc.) are still a risk of course.

Carnie Wilson said she was drinking up to 10 mimosas a day. That's what she told Oprah. And then they were showing all the videos from bloggers talking about becoming alcoholics.

Holly Cow!!! 10 mimosas would put a rough tough bar brawler down!!!! That girls is doing some serious drinking! .....and she's STILL losing weight? Amazing!

Is she still losing weight though? I thought I saw that she was having another WLS?

Naw. She gained a lot of it back. She had a baby too. Last I heard she was the new spokesperson for "Band over Bypass". She is supposed to be getting a lap band over her bypass to try to get the weight back off.

I think you would have to had a prior problem with alcohol or on your way there before surgery. I have drank some in my life but I am not wanting to transfer my food addiction to alcohol. I have transferred it to cooking new high Protein healthier dishes for me and my family. I am having a blast looking up recipes tweaking them and cooking for my family. I also am excited about working out where that was never a thing I was excited about before. I think it is a conscious choice where to transfer your unspent energy from not being able to eat like you could before.

Interesting. I was out with a friend who is 9 months out from surgery. She was drinking shot after shot, plus gin and tonics, then shared a bottle of red wine. We shared a cab and I swear she was sober! I was astounded. I asked the next day whether she could drink like that before surgery and she couldn't. Since the surgery she can drink like nobodies business. She doesn't do it too often but says it is easy to maintain a mild buzz and not get drunk or hungover drinking volumes that would have previously flattened her.

She is still losing weight.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I really use to like a glass of red wine with a good meal maybe twice a week.

Post sleeve I find that if I dont eat before I even take the tiniest little sip of wine it hits me right between the eyes for a few minutes and then I am dog tired.

I tried diluting the wine (stupid to spoil good wine like that IMO) it still does the same.

When I have had the meal first and then take a sip it doesnt do the same and I can at least take a sip or 2 before I start feeling tired.

I have given it up as a bad job and have quit trying to drink wine at all.

I can understand how people can get dependant on alcohol post surgery but you dont need 10 of anything,I would pass out looooong before finishing number 2.

People that needs a crutch will find a new one post surgery,being it biting nails,drinking,smoking whatever.

Well alcoholism is a disease that is usually genetic. Wasn't Carnie Wilson's dad Brian Wilson? Doesn't he have a history of excessive drinking? Or was it just drug use? I can't remember....

From what I remember though on Carnie, they had a 'new' show coming out on Lifetime or something like that and she was having another surgery because after her divorce, she fell apart. IDK what surgery she was having, but ... yeah we can all transfer our addiciton to something else regardless if 85% of our stomach is gone. Our drug of choice may not be alcohol... could be sex, shopping, online gaming... but the addict predisposition, I believe, rests in all of us. For so long, our drug of choice was food. But just like 2bsmallagain states, she's transferred her addiction over to something constructive - cooking healthy for her family. Kudos to those of us that can do that, kudos to those of us that are trying to work on it and kudos to those who at least recognize the problems we might still have whether that be food or something else.

well, i'm voting for my transfer addiction from food to be sex. i mean, if i have a choice, that would definately be it.

well' date=' i'm voting for my transfer addiction from food to be sex. i mean, if i have a choice, that would definately be it.[/quote']

Agreed!

Sent from my iPad using VST

I believe Carnie drank those 10 drinks spread out over an entire day but she felt she had a serious problem with alcohol. (I think her Dad had a problem with alcohol & drugs.)

My doctor says some people transfer addictions to sex, alcohol, shopping & even working out. I enjoy working out a lot & the more weight I lose, the greater the pull at the gym is. So, I see now that I could easily become addicted to one thing or another.

Lol @ choosing sex addiction. Sign me up too!!

Did anyone else watch nightline last night, 6-18-12? It was "Weigh Less, Drink More?" about transferring your food addiction to alcohol. They talk about Carnie Wilson & Beth Sheldon-Badore, AKA: Melting Mama of Bariatric Bad Girls Club.

I'm only 1 month out, so I haven't had alcohol yet. Does it really affect you quicker & sober up quickly? What do y'all think about this phenomenon? Have you experienced it? I've never had a problem with alcohol, so it makes me nervous to drink anything.

I've had wine 2 or three times after maybe ....the three month mark? All three times it was delicious, but the next day, I swelled up like a butterball turkey and felt like the poo. I have determined that it is not worth the week and a half of playing catch up with my weight to even bother dabbling in it. And YES, it hit my senses right away and pretty hard! I didn't even have that much. Maybe 4 oz the third time. (less the other two times) BLEH. I'm done with alcohol.