Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Edmonton Alberta- Sleevers

Hi everyone...just wondering if there is anyone around that is in the Edmonton or surrounding area. I am scheduled to have a VSG on Aug 14, 2012 and would really like to speak to others that have had this procedure.

Thanks

Rhonda

Hey Rhonda

I live in the Edmonton area too(gibbons). I'm having my sleeve on august 17th. Yeah so excited. Are u having it here? I'm getting it in Puerto vallarta

Awesome...I am in Stony Plain. I am having my sleeve here in Edmonton. Getting so excited and nervous. Your going to Mexico...OMG. I never really thought of going somewhere else to have it done. It would be nice that you could go get surgery and have a bit of a vacation at the same time. How many days do you have to stay there for?

I only have to be there for 5 days,but were there for 7. It's awesome I can't wait

I bet its going to be fantastic..was there a long wait to have the procedure done there? What kind of starting weight are you heading in with? I have managed to lose a lot on my own over the last year or two..started at 270-now I am 187. I can't wait for the sleeve to help finish the losing and then maintaining. It is a long process while waiting here in the WWprogram but I have had great support and awesome care, and the modules and classes have been very helpful.

Hello from Red deer :)

I'm having VSG here in Red deer on August 30

Nice to meet you..hoping we can talk more about the journey we are both embarking on and be there for one another to discuss how things are going. I am sure there will be many ups and downs before we get to the end.

I hope to be on that losers bench and be the BIGGEST LOSER i can be.

Best of luck to you

Rhonda

I'm in Edmonton and debating having the procedure done in Mexico as well. I am seeing my doctor tomorrow to get started in the WW program so at least Im heading in the right direction if I can't afford to self pay for my procedure.

It's a bit of a journey, however I have had great results on my own with weight wise. I am getting so excited for my sleeve :). Make sure you start the community modules right away and start to journal your food, and a pedometer to count steps. This will give you a blazing start when you attend first appointment at weight wise. Any questions, please ask, this is my second time...first go around I quit before ever getting to discuss surgery.

Rhonda

It's a bit of a journey, however I have had great results on my own with weight wise. I am getting so excited for my sleeve :). Make sure you start the community modules right away and start to journal your food, and a pedometer to count steps. This will give you a blazing start when you attend first appointment at weight wise. Any questions, please ask, this is my second time...first go around I quit before ever getting to discuss surgery.

Rhonda

Thanks for your advise Rhonda! I booked four appointments over the next couple months to get me started. May I ask what made you quit the first time?

I am up in Grande Prairie, not very close but close enough to Edmonton. I had my surgery May 20th in Mexico, and have had no issues (knock on wood)

Hi mkardh,

So nice of you to join us...Wow, sleeved in Mexico...I was thinking that would be ok now that I have educated myself on it. A vacation and sleeve all in one :) Please tell us about your journey and how things have been going so we get an idea what to expect and also what you have found easy and or difficult if you dont mind sharing.

Rhonda

likedemapples,

I thought I did reply last night but I dont see it here. I quit weight wise because I went through a seperation and having 4 kids and a job that had crazy hours it was almost impossible to keep my appointments without missing work. Missing work ment I could not pay my bills and added stress that I just did not want to deal with.

I am actually glad that I left because this time when I went I was sooooo ready to make the change in my life and it was evident. I weighed less than when I left the program and I have been on a steady decline for months. The clinic knew I was motivated and really ready. I am so excited to be on my way to the sleeve.

Like I said, be ready and have those classes done and also keep journalling all your INTAKE and count those steps....you will drastically reduce wait times over those who did not go prepared :)

I use an app for journalling because I HATE it..but it has been a great tool that has kept me on track.

Cant wait to chat with you more!

I researched vsg for almost 6 months before I decided to finally do it. I had run into a friend that had it done in Mexico last year and to date she has lost 130 lbs. She also runs the weightloss travel tourism here. I was very nervous about going down to Tijuana, afterall it is Mexico. I second guessed my decision right up to when they put me under. I went the self pay route because I don't have the patience to go through Alberta health. I used medicard and pay 300$ for five years. I don't think thats too bad considering the money I've wasted on other weight loss schemes.

We flew into San Diego where the clinic had a driver meet us and bring us across the border, 2 of us had our surgery that day, the other 2 had it the next day. We arrived Sunday afternoon and flew home Friday, so 6 days. By the 3rd day recovery we were walking around Revolution Avenue shopping. I have not had any issues so far with recovery and the incisions healed very nicely. I was in a stall for the past 3 weeks but am glad to report it is done and I am losing again.

I haven't told too many people because of some negativity I got from a few I did tell. I definitely never told anyone I was having it done in Mexico until I got back. I just said I was having it done in San Diego. I am at the point where I am eating most everything, except steak and raw veggie. I use myfitnesspal to track my food and can't believe how easy it is to go over your daily allowment of carbs, gotta be careful. I hope Ive answered your questions if you have more just ask :)

Glad to see the success that you are having. I am guessing there are many people who do self pay because of the wait times here in Canada as a whole. I know that the weight wise clinic wait times have got considerably shorter over the last 5 years. I still wish it was faster however I think that for me it was fairly quick. Referral went in Nov, first appointment in March and surgery in Aug. I would of done self pay, but I really could not afford it right now. I was actually looking into the lap band but since coming to the forums I would never go that way now. I am glad I did some homework and came out with the sleeve as my option.

Can you use some of the fees on your taxes as medical expenses? That would help out some. I am sure others are interested in knowing. I heard that you can write off all appointments and module (classes) as well. not sure if its true or not, expenses such as fuel and KLMs, as well as a meal if its over a certain amount of time. Anyone know if this is true or not?