Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crazy Question About Post Surgery Bm

Hello everybody,

I'm hoping someone can give me some info. I know it seems like TMI, but I'm worried about this. Here's my story: I had my gallbladder removed in '09. Since then, I have to go to the restroom as soon as I finish eating. Literally, take my last bite, and head to the restroom. I've tried changing my diet (doctor's suggestion), but nothing helps. I even have to go right after drinking a Protein shake, and that's not even real food. I'm able to conveniently plan my meals so that I don't have any emergencies, but that's based on 3 meals a day (sort of). When I start my pre-op diet and have to drink 5 shakes a day, I will have to go after each one. It will be weird at work, and I'll be dehydrated before I even have the surgery. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had this problem, and did it continue after surgery?

Thanks, and sorry about the topic.

I'm not sure if it's the same, but I had IBS symptoms pre-op for years. I haven't had those issues post op and I'm 9.5 months out. Maybe it's all the Protein, maybe it's the fact that I'm not eating anywhere near as much, I'm not sure. Hopefully you'll have some time during your recovery period to figure this out...and it will be good news. :)

Good luck!! :)

Yeah.... I had mine taken out in 08 and I'm still the same way. I'm like the poster child for dumping syndrome. I was told it would slow down a lot as long as I stuck with Protein first.... I hope it's true

I had mine out in 2010, and depending on what I eat, have the same problem (probably not as bad as you). I do find that when I have Protein Shakes, it happens a bit faster. I stick mostly to unprocessed foods because I have celiac, but I believe that helps. I have also found that taking digestive enzymes helps a great deal. I am in my 3 month program that my surgeon requires prior to surgery.

Thanks everybody for replying. I'm going to try that Protein first plan. I'll admit the Protein Shakes have made it really easy to snack on bad stuff between meals, but maybe a few slices of deli turkey will work better. I'll know soon enough if it doesn't, lol. Thanks!

Thanks everybody for replying. I'm going to try that Protein first plan. I'll admit the Protein shakes have made it really easy to snack on bad stuff between meals' date=' but maybe a few slices of deli turkey will work better. I'll know soon enough if it doesn't, lol. Thanks![/quote']

Oops, I meant to NOT snack on bad stuff in between. Was that a Freudian slip? Lol

I'm not sure if it's the same' date=' but I had IBS symptoms pre-op for years. I haven't had those issues post op and I'm 9.5 months out. Maybe it's all the Protein, maybe it's the fact that I'm not eating anywhere near as much, I'm not sure. Hopefully you'll have some time during your recovery period to figure this out...and it will be good news. :)

Good luck!! :)[/quote']

I have IBS symptoms now and I'm sure hoping I have the same result as you Lissa!