Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bougie Size And Amount Of Weight To Lose - Is There A Relationship?

But if even if your boogie's big don't you have no gremlins in there anymore? :P

(I bet someone gets that).

But if even if your boogie's big don't you have no gremlins in there anymore? :P

(I bet someone gets that).

I love that!!! LOL I had a 36 bougie. Aside from the evening after surgery, I did not have any problems drinking Water, keeping fludis down, sliming or vomiting. Since I started on mushy food I could eat at least 4 oz. I feel like I can eat almost "normal" size portions. I can eat a smart ones meal with no problems. I can eat about 1/2 chicken breast 2-3 oz, plus 2-3 oz of veggies no problem. Sometimes I wish I had a little more restriction and faster weightloss, but I'm glad I didn't have any of the problems. When I had the lapband I slimed and vomited almost daily and I knew I couldn't live the rest of my life like that. I'm happy I can eat chicken, turkey, salad and veggies again. My surgeon said she likes the 36 because she believes it's the size with the least complications but, I agree the surgeon's technique will vary widely depending on how close they sew to the bougie... I also agree it's most important to be comfortable with the surgeon. How many surgeries has he/she done, what's his precentage of leaks, is it a center of excellence... I think if someone would didn't know I had surgery watched me eat they'd would just think I'm a light eater and not suspect I had surgery. I'm very happy aobut that. Running to the bathroom to vomit during meals is a horrible way to live.

Yea MEMEME, you are right....I just find it very hard to maintain the "diet" for long periods of time....I know....that's my problem...I didn't think I would have to originally and now the hard cold facts are what is left! I'm sure there are food issues here.....thanks for the reality check!

Bemabound,

I know there are a lot of people, probably most sleevers, that feel that way about diet now and maintain later, but I think there of some of us too that have to find our own way and follow our own rules.

I spent four years with the lap band and was unable to eat heathily and was like Carbgrl. I ran to the trash nearly every meal to throw up. It turns out I had extensive scar tissues and adhesions around my stomach, around my band, and around my port.

Anyway, I decided a while ago that I wasn't going to diet anymore. I've dieted for probably 35 years, and I've learned that dieting doesn't work for me because it makes me feel deprived and because I have a wicked rebellious streak in me. (If you want me to do something, tell me I can't do it.) Instead, I just choose to eat healthily for life, forever.

The sleeve allows me to do this where I couldn't do it before on my own. Instead of raging hunger demanding something high in calories and fat, I can choose a healthy lowfat alternative, and this is because I am no longer starving and because I no longer have much, if any, ghrelin.

I don't ever plan to change the way I eat now. It's not a diet for me. I eat everything that I want, and I make good choices most of the time. For example, if I want a piece of chocolate, I'll have a small piece of dark chocolate, which is actually good for you, but I won't have it every day or even every week. If I eat healthy meals 99% of the time, I'm fine with that. If I want a bite or two of something, I'll have it. I eat now the way I plan to always eat: small portions, healthy choices, no drinking during meals, fruit, vegetables, nuts, lean Protein, etc.

This is the way I am managing my life and my health and may not be for everyone. I am happy to report that the scale is still moving at a rate of 2 pounds per week. If I find after I reach goal that I am still losing and when I get to the point that I no longer want to lose weight, I'll address adding in a few more calories at that time, but I'm sure that won't be too much of an adjustment to my current meals.

I've written what I do with the hope that it will help you. The word or concept of dieting sounds like it is distressing to you, and so I wanted to let you know that it doesn't have to be a diet. It can just be that you choose to eat healthy foods now that you have the help of your sleeve. You've already lost a huge amount of weight, and you should be very proud of yourself for that.

Do you know who Cabernet Queen is on You Tube? She's great. I believe she had Gastric Bypass, but she is still an inspiration to me and other sleevers. Anyway, she wrote this thing about what she learned after having weight loss surgery. Here's a link just in case you are interested: http://barefootandbe...-i-learned.html

Thanks so much, that is how I wanted to live as well...knowing I would never be/nor choose to be skinny but just healthy and shooting for quality of life with my family. My challenge is the slippery slope that food is for me but I will keep up the good fight! You were very encouraging!