Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, I've Decided To Hang It Up . . .

7 years ago we bought a used Honda Goldwing GL1800 and rode it quite a bit. Since my surgery we have hardly ridden at all, last year started out with torrential rain storms every weekend then turned off gawd awful hot for months on end. Not conducive to riding at all. I put it up in storage last fall after one or two short jaunts.

This weekend was the first time I got it back out, aired up the tires and checked everything out and took a 3 hour ride. I was miserable. My a$$ hurts after about 30 minutes because I have so little padding there now. I've tried beaded seat cushions, memory foam, gel pads and sheep skins and it still just plain hurts. I feel so much smaller now too and I felt a tad overwhelmed. So we chatted at a rest stop and we both think it's time to sell the old girl (the bike not my wife :) ). Our interests have just changed so much post-op and time is more at a premium since I spend about 9 hours a week at the gym and riding my bicycle. It was fun while it lasted but with the insurance, personal property taxes, basic maintenance and the cost of gas it's costing me like $100 an outing. OUCH! We'll miss it but are moving on to other things.

Just writing to tell you that not only does you BODY change sometimes your desires and hobbies do to.

Lets hope that you find a new fun and exciting hobby to fill your time! You deserve it!

Great post. Funny how things change and it definitely sounds like you are making the most of your new life and using your body to get your thrills so to speak and not a motor bike!!

I have bike envy rootman!!! LOL I learned how to ride and got my motorcycle endorsement two years back. Can't afford a bike now, but some day. That is on my bucket list. I love it. Used to ride in my teens with my boyfriend. Promised myself one day I would learn. I thought my mother was going to die when I told her I signed up for a riding class!! I am a single mom with two kids, so she was worried. You know, even if I never can afford that bike, I don't regret taking the class.

My first car was stick and I wanted it that way so that I knew I could drive anything if I had to. My current car is the only one that I have owned that was not stick. Now, if the only think around is a motorcycle and I have to get some place, at least I know I can do that too.

I feel for you, but totally understand how things and interests change. At least you got a nice last ride (all be it a sore behind!). Enjoy where life takes you next and have fun.

You are getting rid of your bike, I am trying to convince my Hubby I will not die on one if I buy it...lol

I learned to ride when I was 18 and owned 3 bikes before I had a terrible accident (at age 29) (just me....hit something small on the road, slide onto a dirt shoulder and flew about 30 feet into the ditch!). That was 13 years ago and I broke my wrist (needed a plate inserted), broke 3 ribs and punctured my lung, ruptured my spleen, dislocated my shoulder and had crazy-bad road-rash (think burn-dressings for a month afterwards just to get them to heal enough for regular bandages) on my elbows and knees.

And as if that wasn't enough, I must have had a small gallstone I wasn't aware of. The force of the crash impacted the stone into the wall of the gall bladder where it festered. A month later, I was admitted back into hospital with a burst gall bladder, septicemia, and EXCRUCIATING pain. I nearly died! Gall bladder bits were removed (my first laparoscopic surgery!) and I eventually recovered.

Luckily no long term effects (and thank God, no head injury, though my helmet was caved in on the side!). I swore that day to my family that I would never ride again.

That doesn't stop me from wanting a bike again, especially every spring when I see them first appear after the long cold winter.

There's a reason they call motorcyclist's "organ donors". And most of the time it's not even due to our own negligence in riding. It's circumstances, other drivers, etc. But there's no protection, and too dangerous, in my opinion.

If I had kids, I wouldn't even consider it.

good post, life does change.

However, no matter if my butt finds the saddle too hard, I am still riding my horses!!!! In fact, I am getting much more into riding as I am getting lighter and trimmer.

I miss riding my old bikes! Seen some guy riding on the back wheel on the freeway yesturday and it actually scared me! Now I just bought a Schwinn and need to get the nerve up to ride it. LOL ;)

We went riding on Sunday. Got, yet another, "thumbs up" from a passing female moterist. They crack me up sometimes!

Dangerous...yes....but I sure do love the wind in my face!!!

I am hoping that with my weight loss, my hubby and I will be able to ride two-up. I am too big -- was too big for his KLR 650 -- but some day we hope to ride together again.

Lol root I rode for years then sold mine always regretted it just bought another one (Sport bike) gained 150lbs since I last rode one my belly is in the way now and you say you have no padding now post op I've never had any LoL now I am selling the sport bike to buy a Harley Ultra classic I think I'm to old for the sport bike thing now. The ultra Classic is going to be my post op present to myself. I have to admit I felt over whelmed when I first started back riding but I'm getting the hang back and my wife loves it. I hope I don't change after surgury I love to ride myself .

I'll be danged f I didn't fire it up again to take it to the dealer to replace the rear tire and the thing stalled and was DEAD! The year old battery just upped and died! Another $100 out the window! Just venting guys!

After 18 years, my hubby got a bike last weekend. A Yamaha VStar 1600... I NEVER was interested in riding until now. Finally feel like I will not topple us over. Went on my first ride, it was scary but hubby was happy and I will be too. Want to be closer and do more together.

Rootman, I can see the emotion bikes can bring. Hopefully, this does not turn out to be a money pit like when we had a boat :(

Great post! My hubby and I sold our Goldwing Trike last year and have replaced it with regular bikes.... the kind with pedals and no engine.... LOL Much better for our health!

I've ridden motorcycles off an on since I was 12, starting of road, then moving to road bikes for a while. A few close calls put me off of it but I sure miss it. I've always wanted a Sportster, just a local runabout. I love how they handle and I love the fact that they look like an engine with just enough attached to make it into a bike. :)