Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wellbutrin?

Anyone else on this drug? What side effects have you experienced? I've been on for a month now - had everything from jittery feelings, lack of appetite (that one is ok!), shaky hands, racing heart, even hives and welts which went away quickly during the third week........

Has this drug worked for you? How could you tell?

Thanks for your responses.

I think you should speak to your doctor, something is not right and breaking out in hives is not good at all (even if it went away) the heart racing is even more scary. When I was on welbutrin I had 0 side effects. Please call your doc... :D and good luck.

It depends on what dose you are on. My doc wanted me to be on Wellbutrin XL 300mg but I was WAY too awake and agitated with that high of a dose. There is an increased chance of seizure with the higher dosages as well as insomnia and paranoia. When I went back to the 150mg I felt MUCH better and knew that it was right for me. Everybody is different and it could be that Wellbutrin isn't even the right anti-depressant for you. It worked well for me to curb my nicotine and food addiction but I also knew that Paxil and Prozac made me eat and sleep more so those were out. Call your doctor and explain your symptoms immediately. The side effects you are experiencing are nothing to mess around with.

~Liz~

03/10/06

241/173/160

5'7''

Hives and welts are symptoms of an allergic reaction. I would not take anymore without speaking with your physician.

kelli

I am currently not on Wellbutrin but I have taken it in the past. It sounds like you really need to get with your doctor on this due to your symptoms. I have to say Wellbutrin is the reason I started my whole weightloss adventure. I couldn't seem to get off the couch pre Wellbutrin, it got me into a gym and into seeing a phych doctor, not just a family doctor. I never would have admitted that I had issues but it has really helped. Since I have lost so much weight we, (me and doc) don't think I need Wellbutrin anymore. I am physically active so it keeps me sane. I have been reading a lot about 5-htp, an herb that has worked in fighting off carb cravings. Has anyone used this herb? I am interersted in the seritonin boost it gives you so that your not craving unhealthy carbs. Thanks for your input!

I did call my doctor - said that if the itching/hives only appeared once, and went away quickly it is ok to continue taking it. She said that is a side effect some people experience on the med. I confirmed this with the pharmacist. Thanks for all the ideas/suggestions!

I've been on wellbutrin for a year now, and at first I did have a lot of shaking and anxiousness, fast heart rate, etc, and knew that I would, it's a very common side effect. I did have interference with sleep because of it, but between 2 and 3 months it went away. These were things that my dr discussed with me ahead of time, so I wasn't taken by surprise. I took it to quit smoking, but felt so good on it that I decided to stay on it, my dr didn't have any problem with that since I have a tendency toward depression. Everyone has their own reactions to meds, if you reported your hives, etc to the dr/pharmacist and they said it was okay, I wouldn't worry about it. I especially wouldn't worry about it since it was only transient, it would be a different story if it was a constant thing. Of course, if the drug isn't working for you, and you've given it sufficient time, then your dr needs to know this. Good luck, cassie (a non smoker)

I started Welbutrin on Tuesday, and I'm about to crawl out of my skin. I feel nervous and jittery. I also have constant ringing in my ears. I can't wait until tomorrow when I can call my Dr. and ask how to stop taking this.

My Dr. and I were trying this to see if it would help with weight loss--I have not been banded yet. I suffered from depression years ago and took Prozac. I never had any problems with it, so I didn't think anyting of taking Welbutrin.

It's definitely helped with my appetite. I don't feel like eating anything, partly because I feel nauseas. I would rather be fat than feel this way. I don't think I want to wait a month to see if the symptoms will go away.

Has anyone had a similar experience with horrible side effects?

I am on Wellbutrin 300mg and Selexa 20 mg and Topamax 100 mg. I have no problems with Wellbutrin but a friend was put on it in order to quit smoking and she had to quit the drug instead. She had an itchy skin while she was on it.

My husband takes Wellbutrin to aid in smoking cessation. After being on it for about 3 weeks, he experienced severe itching but it eventually went away. He started at 150mg, went as high as 450mg but is now taking 300mg.

I took Wellbutrin for smoking cessation, have not light up in over 5 years. The only side effect I experienced was that I lost 70 pounds. I did of course gain it back and then some once I got off the meds. Can't wait to be banded. Working on a pre-op diet now down 27lbs in a little over 3 weeks.

I've been on Wellbutrin XL for several years. At first it made me not sleep well and I still don't sleep more than 7 hours straight, but the positive effects are worth it.

I do not eat as much. My knees do not hurt as much so I move more. I am way more interested in sex. And when I have sex it is much more fun. I am not depressed and a couch potato anymore. It's great for me. I never had any itching or welts. Frankly if I had, I would ask my doc for a different drug. There are so many out now.

When I took Lexapro it made me very lethargic. That was only supposed to last a couple of weeks. I took it for about 6 months and the longer I took it the harder it was for me to stay awake. I slept 8 or 9 hours a night and then napped off and on all day. It actually did give me a feeling of well being with no depression, but the lethargy wasn't worth it!