Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

The Opti-fast phase was the worst experience of all. Once you get through that (assuming no complications) so much easier. I only ate the bars and the Desserts as I do not like the shakes' date=' actually they make me gag. Once you get onto Clear liquids and mushies etc, you can atleast have flavour in your food.

Good luck with that..I dont have much advise other than it is just a phase to get through, and you will and from there it gets easier.[/quote']

I loveeeeee optifast- haha I must be strange! I can't wait to have it every morning!

I find Optifast watery and tasteless, but plan on blending with ice and berries to improve it. I am allowed salad and non starchy vege, 1cup berries a day so this should give me ariety during prep stage which I am due to start on 1August. I don't know how some people manage on Optifast only for 2 weeks.

Hi shellz

Thanks for replying to this thread. Where in Brisbane are you based? In am in Morningside. I would love to hear how you are getting on post op. cheers KelliV

Hi Kelliv

I am in Forest Lake but work in the CBD. Would be great to get a group to catch up and see how everyone is going. I am really happy and so far it has been no problems, except my larger incision is sore so making difficult to sleep.

I actually had no worries with Optifast but disliked the chocolate and coffee ones. I am thinking I may have one each day.

Where are you having your op. I got scared/nervous a couple of days before and I think I was trying to find a reason to postpone, like just received anaetheastist account 3 days out for $2000 which I was not happy with but after trying to think positively again, I just paid the bill as I thought I have been waiting forever for this. Day of op I was really calm and just couldn't wait. I did expect a lot more pain, nausea etc which I had none so really happy with that. Actually nurses said I was doing really well for major surgery and they said that's cause I had a really good surgeon and anaetheastist so guess his $2000 to put me too sleep paid off. Haha.

Anyway looking forward to hearing about your journey

I find Optifast watery and tasteless' date=' but plan on blending with ice and berries to improve it. I am allowed salad and non starchy vege, 1cup berries a day so this should give me ariety during prep stage which I am due to start on 1August. I don't know how some people manage on Optifast only for 2 weeks.[/quote']

My surgeon wants me on Optifast for at least 3 weeks! He said BMI is 45 but I look like I'm a BMI of 40, so he would expect to see a rather fatty liver (as that's is apparently where I'm storing all my fat- around the organs.) I am hoping to be sleeved on the 25th September, so will start on the 1st September. Question...should I start incorporating one shake a day to work my way up?

Hi shellz,

I would love to meet you in the city one day when you are back at work. Dr John Copp is doing my surgery. He used to operate at Greenslopes and in Ipswich, but now only does it in Ipswich which is a bit of a nuisance. At least he still sees patients at Greenspoles for follow up every Friday. I am scheduled for 14 August. $2000 sounds a lot for anaethestist! I haven't heard from mine as yet so don't know what it will cost. Hopefully I will te a good portion back on Medicare and Defene Health. My dietician suggested only having vanilla and chocolate Optifast. Not sure why, but I will do what he says. Cheers kelliv

I would start building yourself up with Optifast if you have an opportunity. I had to start 2 weeks prior and for about 4 days I had a constant headache and really bad tast in my mouth. After this time, I got through it no worries and actually enjoyed my shakes. I didn't have to blend or add anything else, just shook my strawberry and banana shakes. Good luck with it

Hi kayargh, from way I've heard it woudn't hurt to start on one opti per day leading up to it all, but I'm not going to start my preparation diet full on until exactly 2 weeks out! Good luck

I trialled myself with a week on Optifast whilst doing my research. I coped ok, but very hungry for first 3-4 days. Hunger then strangely disappeared due to ketosis effect. Lost 3.5kg that week which was a bonus. It will be difficult for two weeks, but very worthwhile the effort I am sure.

Hi Kelliv

I did not expect the $2000 for my sleep doctor and only accounted for my gap fee of $4500 to my surgeon as for some reason thought the rest was covered by Medibank Private. Then I read that they were anywhere between $500 - $1000 so I was really annoyed but 3 days out could not do much and it had to be paid before op last Friday so oh we'll just hope I get something back from Medicare.

Do you work in the city? Ipswich is a far distance for you but hey it will be worth it, I just can't wait to start living life.

Hi shellz, I work for myself from home. Have a repeal estate company with my husband and a tourism marketing consultancy with a friend, so do a lot of travelling around Qld. Live 5kms from city so easy to jump on ferry. I expect to be out of pocket around $5000, plus sleep doc. My GP did a joint carer plan fr me which covers bulk of dieticians appt x 4 and the Phychologist visit. I am on Medicate safety net, but it doesn't apply to in hospital treatment. I was hoping I would get more back!

My husband will drop me off in Ipswich and happy for him to pck me up a few days later. My parents may visit in between. How long were you at the Wesley?

Thank you for your advise Ladies, I will start to incorporate the Optifast as soon as possible I think!

A note on the anaesthetist- when you are uninsured you pay around $2000 for one, I was quoted $1670 at Pindara.

I was at the Wesley from Friday morning - wheeled into theatre at 2.30pm and awoke in recovery about 5pm.

The next day Saturday did my swallow test which was horrific and my worst experience of the whole op. anyway all was good and allowed home Sunday morning. Have had a very positive experience.