Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

My Surgery was 20 months ago. I am now about 12 lbs below my original goal of 135 (Ht: 62.5"). I began with my surgeon's plan but found it too restrictive. I then followed the Cornell plan down to goal weight and below. Then I kinda fell off the wagon. Last year I could eat anything and not gain, in fact for a few months, I was trying to put a couple lbs back on. Beginning in August, my weight began to creep back up. I gained about 5 lbs (from 120 to 125). Most of the gain came from 1) being able to eat more and 2) sweets. I've always had a sweet tooth, and sadly the surgery didn't end that. So on Ash Wednesday, I went back on the Cornell Plan which involves 3 high Protein meals, 1 high Protein snack and no sweets. OK, I've been jonesing for the sugar but my weight is coming down.

My question to my fellow maintainers is this: Do you follow a food plan and what does it look like? Do you snack, graze or just eat meals? Carbs? Sweets? How much protein?

Thanks in Advance.

I didn't really follow a diet plan per say. I use sparkspeople.com to track my carbs and Protein. I changed it to have more Protein. I have a sweet tooth too. Gave up candy for lent. (just like I did when I was a kid) however I was eating Cookies etc...finally could only get in to one pair of my size 6 jeans, NO WAY am I buying bigger sizes. I used to have a collection and just kept moving up, Gave them all away. I do love this sleeve.I got 7 lbs to lose (hope to lose 10 so I have some room to sway a few lbs) Keep in touch!

Dee

Thanks Dee, for your response. i too gave up sugary stuff for lent even though I'm no longer a Catholic. Somehow the discipline of lent from youth is still with me; stuff I couldn't give up in January becomes easier to give up beginning Ash Wednesday. Lately I've been reducing the carbs too. This morning my weight was 120.8, Hurray!

I can eat more than I used to be able to, so I think it's important for me to concentrate on Protein and vegetables and to limit carbs. I'm back eating artificial sweeteners and though I don't think they are actually healthy, they are far better than the alternative. Sugar is such a drug for me. The sugar alcohols have side effects which is a good thing for me. I cannot eat a 100gr bar of SF chocolate because of the stomach cramps it causes. This means that my portion sizes are reasonable and not gluttonous--in the end a very good thing indeed.

I think the weight thing will always be a struggle for me, but at least I have a chance of winning this battle now instead of trying my hardest and losing miserably. I feel pretty good of my protein-first diet. My BF and housemate are both on no sugar diets so I don't have loads of temptattion. My boy still eats sugar with abandon, but I can dismiss that more easily. Sugar now seems like pixie sticks or cotton candy--stuff you eat in your youth but wouldn't really ingest during adulthood.

Yikes, typos, sorry everyone. I can spell, capitalize and punctuate, but I cannot proofread!

@ Lisalu - could you tell me more about the Cornell plan? I too am 20 months out but unlike you I haven't even hit surgeon's goal yet, let alone personal goal. I'm still 20 lbs away from surgeon's, 45 from personal.

Hey Globetrotter, nice to hear from you. The Cornell plan looks like this:

3 meals and 1 high Protein snack per day. Protein first, then veggies, then whole grains. Avoid concentrated sweets. Heres a link:

http://www.cornellweightlosssurgery.org/pdf/dietary_guidelines_sleeve_gastrectomy.pdf

Thanx Lisa, I actually found it myself online already and it's what I already do, I am so super frustrated to not be losing weight anymore when I am still chubby and soft yet I work out like a demon and get in no more than 900 cals =(

I'm on the anything I want plan right now.... leaning toward vegetarian Southbeach. The closer I get to the southbeach, the more control I have over the weight and hunger.

---

Reading this over I realized I DONT eat everything I want without end. But I do eat stuff I crave everyday. If I had no stops on my desire, it would be a whole different story. Give credit where credit is due!

I got down to 117, started playing with stupid diets (Nutrition response testing, juice fasts, fasts, etc.) and binged. Gained 17 pounds in November and have lost 11 pounds since 12/01 by following the Dukan Diet! It is similar to the surgeons recommendations. The attack phase (phase 1 out of 4) is 3-10 days long and is unlimited protein! My binges have disappeared. I'm eating a lot of food and I'm satisfied. No cravings at all.