Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Curious, Did This Happen To You?... No 3 Week Stall, But A Gain!

I am curious, maybe a little disappointed, but I promised myself I would NEVER write about a stall. Well technically, I'm not. This is my three week weigh in. I expected no or very little loss based on what I have read here. I started solids last Wednesday and knew I've been consuming more calories, maybe 500-800 daily. My weigh in this morning shows a 2 lb gain. Has this happened to others? I know I am a slow loser. I lost 5.5 lbs during my liquid diet and 8.5 over the next two weeks. I read where many lose upwards of 25 lbs during that time. I am patient, but I can't imagine a gain..

Has anyone else experienced this? My Dr did make me throw away my hydrochlorothiazide which is a diuretic, could this be the cause? I have consumed a lot of ham/cheese roll ups this week as a source of Protein and low calories, maybe the salt is causing Fluid retention? (TMI) Also having a Constipation issue. Using benefiber without any real relieve yet. Any suggestions? . Words of encouragement anyone ?

My cycle causes a gain of about three pounds every stinking month. For me, it's normal. So if you're expecting a monthly visitor, that hag could be the one to blame.

I wouldn't fret about it unless you've made a serious change in diet or started a new medication. Maybe try to get as much Water in as possible and lower your sodium if you're concerned. But for me, at least, the journey has had lots of bumps, up and down, instead of a solid string of losses.

And on the slower loss? Everyone is different. I consider myself a slower loser. I think my best month ever was my first month and I lost 18 pounds. I never got even remotely close to that figure again. I don't know if you're guilty of this but I think so many of us focus on the amazingly fast losers - the ones that hit goal in 9 months - and we all think we're going to have the same results. I definitely chose to willfully ignore the folks that had four month stalls and who had to fight tooth and nail for a four pound loss each month when I was preparing for my surgery.

The good news is that it isn't a race, despite the fact that we're all desperate to reach goal. I hit goal after 17 months and it's fantastic to be here. I don't spend a single day being frustrated that it took me longer to get here than it took someone else!

Don't fiddle with your diet too much right now. Your body is still in shock from a major surgery and a huge lifestyle change. You've lost a large amount of weight in a very short period of time. Give yourself a break and just keep following your guidelines. You're going to lose the weight - even if you have stops and starts or ups and downs along the way.

~Cheri

I agree with clk, I even have had a hysterectomy and every month I gain and lose with in that one week. I am a slow loser as well. I lose about 1 lb. a week, so I know how bad that weight gain looks. I try to stay away from the salty meats around that time of the month, because I also swell ( I can tell with my ring ). As for the Constipation, it's common because you're not putting as much food in as before. (tmi) I go about once a week now. If it goes longer than that I have a prune.

I drink Decaf coffee a few days a week and haven't had any real Constipation issues, either. A small gain around your time of the month is normal, and usually disappears (with friends!) afterwards. Since you just started mushies, you may be putting in a few more calories than before, but it's not enough to make you gain "real" weight.

Good luck!! :)

Having the tail end of the 3rd week stall. I also threw out the HCTZ after surgery and thought also that I might be retaining. In my case I think I was just not getting enough Protein so I am working hard on that. I found that a stool softner help keep things going along smoother. Hopefully when I weigh in Saturday I will have lost something. It is frustrating. Hope things pick up for you!

weight.png

i had gained 4 pounds during that 3rd week and one morning i woke up and had lost 7 ---i think its normal--probably Water retention. i still have that issue if i consume too much sodium. if i wake up and my rings tight i dont even bother weighing. good luck and congrats on taking this step!!!

It happend to me in week 5.....which was last week. This week I have gone back on total liquid shakes to see if I can not get the motor turned back on and start losing some more weight. I will keep you posted to see how I do next week at my weigh in. I am one that does not believe in daily weigh ins and only weigh myself on Monday mornings.

same with the monthly here. I will stop losing and gain a pound or two. then after about 2 days of it being done I drop about 4-6 pounds in that week. I never thought I would look forward to my periods (except when I was able to get pregnant..lol) but I do now because I know I will lose weight after them. Dont fret about it because stress tends to make you hol onto weight as well. good luck!

I woke up this am and decided to just weigh myself, even though I didn't expect to lose any. I got a big surprise and had gained 4 lbs over night. Yes my ring is tighter on my finger this am. LOL. I am just going to put away the scale for the week and eat healthy. Tired of the ups and downs of weigh ins. ;)

Thank you everyone for your support. I wrote this in a moment of weakness. I know better, I think! Some days this seems too easy, three weeks out and everything is going so right. I guess mentally you worry about this being your last loss. I spent a lot of time at this site just lurking around pre-surgery and have read enough that I feel very comfortable about what is happening to my body, yet am still in disbelief that I am on the losers bench. I don't feel like I've lost a single pound. My clothes feel it and people in my life are noticing, but it just doesn't feel like a :punishment: like all of my prior diet tries. Dieting felt so much more painful. Maybe because I don't have the hunger, or even the taste buds to eat right now, it just worries me that I may not lose another single lb because I don't feel the deprivation? I'll keep doing everything right and maybe I'll wake with a 7 lb weight loss too. Thanks again..

Happy1957, thanks so much for posting this. I was coming in this morning and planning on asking the same thing! I hit week 3 yesterday and I haven't lost any weight in 5 days. As a matter of fact, I had gained a pound at the end of last week and when I weighed this morning that one pound was back off. I was soooo discouraged. I am a band revision and had no idea that even a slight gain would be possible after getting sleeved. I too, have been reading about all these people that have already lost 20 to 25 pounds by week 3 and thought that this meant I wasn't gonna have good success. Now to hear that everyone seems to stall like this or have a little gain when transitioning into "real" foods, I feel much better. I guess some of us are just slower losers. I go to the doctor today and hope he tells me I can start exercising. I know this will help me to lose faster and kick my body back into gear!! Thanks everyone! P.S. can someone tell me how to post your weights, goals, and that weight loss ticker tracker so I can post. I just joined and can't fiqure out how to do it!LOL!

Hello belittle. You go to to this web site, http://www.tickerfactory.com/ezticker/ticker_designer.php?type=3 make your ticker and cut and paste the address into your profile , on the "signature" page under editing when you need to update it, just click on the tickerr and it should take you right to the site to edit. Hope this help! I suspect I' ll be a slower loser just because of thyroid issues and AGE! I'll be patient as long as the scale keeps going down. The best of luck to you all!

Happy1957, thanks so much for posting this. I was coming in this morning and planning on asking the same thing! I hit week 3 yesterday and I haven't lost any weight in 5 days. As a matter of fact, I had gained a pound at the end of last week and when I weighed this morning that one pound was back off. I was soooo discouraged. I am a band revision and had no idea that even a slight gain would be possible after getting sleeved. I too, have been reading about all these people that have already lost 20 to 25 pounds by week 3 and thought that this meant I wasn't gonna have good success. Now to hear that everyone seems to stall like this or have a little gain when transitioning into "real" foods, I feel much better. I guess some of us are just slower losers. I go to the doctor today and hope he tells me I can start exercising. I know this will help me to lose faster and kick my body back into gear!! Thanks everyone! P.S. can someone tell me how to post your weights, goals, and that weight loss ticker tracker so I can post. I just joined and can't fiqure out how to do it!LOL!

I am 10 days out and I got on the scale this morning to a 2 lb gain from Monday. I am also in the week leading up to my time of the month, so it is probably related. Who knows what or why our bodies do what they do! All I know is I am eating exactly what I am supposed to, getting in my fluids, and walking almost every day. There is no way I am gaining weight and I am sure you are not either. :)

Happy, today I'm exactly 1 month out from surgery.. started soft regular foods this week... I've only lost 3-5 pounds in the last week and a half... I was okay.. until today's mental/emotionaly amnesia!! I forgot that I have to take this day by day... I forgot that this is a journey that involves all of me, not just my physical body... then I remembered, I can do this.. I can use this tool to get to my goal... but, we ALL have these moments... Keep on keeping on sister!!!