Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I realize that no one has responded to this thread in almost two years, but I thought I'd take a moment and mention that I've started a Secret Group on Facebook called WLS 12 Steppers Support Group. It's for anyone who is pre-op/post-op any kind of WLS and who is also working a 12 Step Program of any kind. If anyone is interested in joining, please message me your Facebook email address (which is in your profile under "About") and I'll send you back an invite.
I'm really brand new to WLS. My wife and I had our first Consultation with our Surgeon and his staff today making it officially "REAL". We're both going to be sleeved in late Fall, and early next year respectively. But we've been sober long enough to know that we'll really need support from people that speak our language. So, the more the merrier. Hope to see you there.

Suboxone Warning!!!!

I had my GB surgery 14 years ago & b/c of back issues/surgery, was on heavy pain meds for 10 of those years. When I got married 4 years ago, I elected to switch to a Suboxone program with the hope of being able to have children. (Which I never could've done on all the narcotics) And while I am now the proud Mama of a 2 year-old & 6 month-old TWINS, I have suffered through some very extreme negative side effects from Suboxone.

It was only recently that I discovered my problem was w/the NALOXONE (1 of the 2 active ingredients in Suboxone)

Turns out that even though Suboxone is taken sublingually - not usually an absorption issue for GB patients - the NALOXONE is actually swallowed & destroyed in the GI tract, never causing SE's. However as we are well aware, the altered system in post GB patients does not effectively "destroy" the NALOXONE & allows it to reach the brain, where it can do some nasty sh*t to really F w/you!!

Bottom line: Post Gastric Bypass patients should NEVER take SUBOXONE - instead, the generic, 1-ingredient alternative, SUBUTEX (BUPRENORPHINE)

NO JOKE!!

Hi I love this thread. As I'm sober 14 years, and have never needed surgery. The pain pump scares me. I have needed pain pills in the past and with my sponsors help I stop, pray, meditate and think think think. And when the pain is bad I call her and she knows when I take a pill... It sounds extreme to people but I have a beautiful life and have seen too many people with longevity go out with pain medication. I think for me the biggest deal was not letting it be a sick secret..

I see that no one has commented on here for over a year ... Just wondering if anyone was still out there to talk to about their courage, strength and hope ???? I'm going in for surgery on the 12th and By the grace of God will Celebrate 2 years clean and sober on January 30th, 2016.

@@nj_sleeve_girl - IDK your situation and I am not an addict. My 24 y/o son is and is currently in re-hab. All I can say is Kudos to you for going two years clean and sober!!!!

I had the sleeve last May and the stress of dealing with him is getting to me -

Its great to see someone "making it" though :)

The pain wasn't bad - I walked, sipped and only took meds the first day or so and then went OTC. I hope your medical team knows your history, IDK your drug of choice...

I am pulling for YOU!!!

Yes my medical team is aware of my history I had to get certain special clearances by my personal psych dr and therapist, I'm 25 I live by myself 2 and a half hours from my family where I got clean at, but I drove down to my moms today and she's going to take me for surgery and I'll stay with her for maybe a week or so ????

And I know the stress can be hard loving an addict, my mom goes to naranon and that helps her a lot to deal with her end. I will say a prayer for you son ❤️

Man, I am here for you sister! YOU GO GIRL! Two years is more than phenomenal.

Do you have any questions?

I probably have so many questions but I can't think of any right this second, I am just so excited ????