Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i am 4 days away from my sleeve surgery and my biggest fear is the pain killers after surgery. Most people say they didn't really need them so I'm counting on that. I have been in recovery for 3 years and my sobriety means the world to me. I already told my doctor I will not be taking any narcotic scripts home from the hospital but I'm scared. Any other recovering sleevers out there?

I am not recovering, but I only took pain killers one time the day after surgery... and I probably could have gotten by without. Now the day at the hospital was another story... but both my nurses said I used the pump much less than most. Just let them know your desires up front, and they might be able to find pain killers that are not habit forming for you. Good luck with that!

I am not an addict, but I also didn't need to use pain killers post-surgery -- I was given maximum normal doses of paracetamol and I did just fine. I didn't experience much pain with this surgery at all. (I did have a hysterectomy a few years ago and needed morphine for that for a day or two.)

Lots of people have said they managed to get through recovery without Rx pain meds, so it seems totally doable. However, in the hospital, I don't think it's wise. You'll be on the PCA pump, like feedyoureye said, and there will be a limit to the number of times you can hit that button.

I am a pain weenie and I felt like I hit that button religiously every ten minutes, but the day after surgery the nurses were doing a shift change, and the day nurse said to the night nurse (this is starting to sound like a bad joke, but bear with me!) something to the effect of "...and she hasn't been using the PCA very much at all...", so I assume it wasn't as much as it felt like.

I would definitely share your concerns with your surgical team. They need to know about it, and they will be good about using pain meds so that you can rest and heal.

I was so afraid of throwing up the liquid tylenol that the doc sent me home from the hospital with that i didn't take one dose. Most people who've had the surgery will tell you that there's very little post op pain especially if you get the single incision. You will be fine with your sobriety. Both my kids are recovering drug addicts so i can certainly understand your concern. At this point you have weight issues that are going to cause you health problems if they aren't already so you need to take care of it. You will be fine with your sobriety but i definately recommend not taking any meds when you get home. Good luck and i wish you the best! CONGRATS ON YOUR SOBRIETY!!!

I had my surgery in Mexico and the pain meds that I got were non-narcotic. I used them for about a week. If you take it easy and take Tylenol (or some similar pain med) regularly, it will be enough. It's painful and it sucks, but it's not at all unbearable and I'm the biggest crybaby there is when it comes to pain. I am the MAYOR of crybaby town.

Congrats on staying ahead of the game. There are a lot of people in my life who are at various stages of sobriety, and I have conversations like this all the time. You're right to be nervous, but I assure you that if you could make it through the early stages of drug withdrawal then you can totally handle this.

I had an issue with pain meds after an ankle surgery in 03 but didn't go far down that road. I didn't need or have any narcotics after my sleeve surgery as they aren't really nessasary.

I am happy to read all these replys. I am thinking of having the surgery but also worry about my sobriety. Does any body know about having this surgery while taking Suboxone?

I am happy to read all these replys. I am thinking of having the surgery but also worry about my sobriety. Does any body know about having this surgery while taking Suboxone?

Wow! Thought I was the only one. I know this is almost a month late but hopefully you see this. I am having surgery in about a month and I take Suboxone film strips. I do not plan on using anything narcotic except my sub. It's not the best for pain but it'll have to do. My Dr. upped my dosage temporarily for the surgery so I can take it a little more frequently if needed. I'm hoping it will be fine. When is your surgery?

First of all, congrats on your sobriety and your continued sobriety! As for the pain, everyone's different, but I have a feeling you've battled enough to know how to manage anything. I didn't take anything after the morning after my surgery - I had negligible soreness that basically just felt like I did too many situps.

There are plenty of options that your doc can give you, be it combinations of tylenol and naproxen or other options. I don't think anything narcotic is necessary.

I'm not an addict, but my body gets physicaly addicted to opiates like WOAH, almost immediately. I plan to avoid any narcotics after the surgery. If they give me Morphene (likely) I'll just have to deal with the withdrawl symptoms for a week or so. I know some do well on Tramadol, which is a non narcotic.

I'm not an addict, but my body gets physicaly addicted to opiates like WOAH, almost immediately. I plan to avoid any narcotics after the surgery. If they give me Morphene (likely) I'll just have to deal with the withdrawl symptoms for a week or so. I know some do well on Tramadol, which is a non narcotic.

I woke up from surgery vomitting from the morphine. I told them to immediately stop giving it to me as I am sure it was doing more damage than good. I was then put on IV Tylenol and sent home 2 days later with a script for Liquid Tylenol. There is no reason to worry as long as you voice your concern with your surgeon.

i am 4 days away from my sleeve surgery and my biggest fear is the pain killers after surgery. Most people say they didn't really need them so I'm counting on that. I have been in recovery for 3 years and my sobriety means the world to me. I already told my doctor I will not be taking any narcotic scripts home from the hospital but I'm scared. Any other recovering sleevers out there?

I am in recovery, 14 years. Taking pain meds after surgery may be necessary, so I would do it. However I would not go home with a script for them, tell doctor in advnce.

I am in recovery' date=' 14 years. Taking pain meds after surgery may be necessary, so I would do it. However I would not go home with a script for them, tell doctor in advnce.[/quote']

Im 3yrs sober and this is my biggest concern/fear! But I feel pretty secure with my sobriety. lol other than being afraid of the liquid diet! !!

By the grace of my HP I will have 8 years come December 2012. Never thought that I would make it 7 days let alone 7 years. I was sleeved 6/7/12 and took the liquid vicodin / tylenol as needed for my pain management. Did not take more then the prescription stated I could and my husband was great at making sure it was for the physical discomfort and not mental. I took pain meds for 4 days after surgery and switched to tylenol for 3 more days. I had to travel 350 miles from the hospital to home so that had a lot to do with the length of time I took the Rx. Check your motives, talk to your sponsor, pray and TAKE CARE OF YOU! Remember that you are taking a Rx given to you my informed professionals and that you have checked your motives and are not looking for a free high.