Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Popcorn After Gastric Sleeve Surgery....

My surgeon had me on full liquids when I left the hospital. As of two weeks I went onto mushies and soft foods. I have had a few crackers with egg salad on them and I was told this is okay. I meet with the nutritionist again in February and will be asking her about popcorn. I know this journey is about losing weight and being healthy... However if I'm ok with slowing the process to have popcorn once a week I feel as though that is my decision.

Please be careful having popcorn so soon :( If something bad were to happen I'd be scared away from popcorn forever! Don't do that! PLEASE!?!?!? LoL

Does it taste as good post op?

So guess what I came home to tonight?? I guess my mother made more popcorn then she wanted and there was a big air popped buttery bowl of popcorn sitting on my kitchen table..... It went right into the trash the second I sniffed it and I poured Water over the top of it.... Suckers.

Against my Drs orders, I have been eating popcorn nearly daily since about a week after my surgery. You can eat alot more popcorn than other foods since it squishes down real small when chewed up good. I am probably only eating 4 oz, but it seems like alot!! I find it to be a very satisfying snack. Never bothers my tummy.

I was going to reply to this last night, but since my initial reaction was one of sadness and a bit of disgust, I decided to go to sleep instead. This gave me a chance to think about what you wrote and I figured out the heart of the matter. It's not that you're eating popcorn way too early, it's that you are doing it against your Doctors orders and are bragging about it. To me, this clearly demonstrates one of two things:

1) A lack of respect for the medical profession

and/or

2) You have not spent the necessary time really dealing with your eating problems.

There is a REASON the doctors give us dietary guidelines to follow is not always just to jerk us around; there is a point to it, whether you recognize it or not. You are consuming this irritating food far too early and therefore putting yourself at risk of a leak or other complication. Does anyone know what a potential result of gastric leakage is? That's right...DEATH. Yup...you are increasing your risk of death, all because you want to eat popcorn at one week.

Yes, the odds of it getting that far that you would actually die from gastric leakage is small...but it's a lot smaller if you follow your doctors orders and wait.

Again, see a professional and begin working on your food issues. If you really want this surgery to work, you will need to address the reasons for being fat in the first place. If you do not, it will not work.

Best of luck to you in the new year. And to everyone else out there! Be safe and have a Happy New Year!!!

Well said, Bugwitch.

The potential result in (almost) every surgery is Death...the common result from leakage is bloody stool/urine..i didn't eat a whole bucket of popcorn and it had no butter and no salt just plain popcorn. My surgeon said im healing 40% faster than the "normal" patient. My swelling was gone within a week and my incisions were healed within a little over a week. The normal heal time for the staple line is 4-6 months. Not a minimum of 6. I was on a "liquid" diet for the first week and then mush for 2 soft solids for 2 and then solids 2 weeks from soft diet. Also if anyone loves chili go to wendys and pick some up without cheese, then add your own fat free cheese. Puree if on mush. AMAZING!!!!!!!Banane55.gif

Banane55.gif

Banane55.gif

Banane55.gif

conehead.gif

popcorn sounds really good right now. I tried my daughter's cheddar cheese popcorn and it was really good..... LOL

I am currently 2mos Post Surgery....no more popcorn for me...I use to love Popcorn...unfortanately..it was alwasys with Extra Butter...Yum...but now.. No way!....

I had popcorn at the Movies w/ my husband 3 weeks ago...OMG..I thought I was going to choke to death. One of the kernel hulls got stuck in my throat...that was enough for me.....

I'm a popcorn addict! I thought about popcorn when I woke up from surgery. I thought, OMG, what did I just do? I'll never have popcorn again! lol

It's the only craving I've had since having the surgery. I'm only 6 days out and counting down the months until I can have it again.

<div>

IMG 3027

</div>

<div> </div>

<div>

Look what I found on clearence for $15 at Target tonight!!

When it comes to popcorn, I am the unfortunate one that works in a movie theater. :( I had my manager put me in the box office or usher since I knew if I worked in concession, I would be too tempted to grab a cupful and chow down in between busy periods. I have noticed I don't care for the smell of popcorn as much anymore, though. I'm 6 weeks out and going to wait a couple more months to try some, at least.

Ok- so I was bad. I had the best of intentions when it comes to popcorn. Yes- I bought the whirley pop at Target but only because it was on clearence and as soon as I took the picture holding my prize I packed it away so I couldn't be tempted by it. Then yesterday I was walking around Big Lots with my sister and they had like an entire section dedicated to NutriSystem products. I've become a label junky since surgery so I started peaking at the labels. -Did you know they have a popcorn snack? ?? The stats on it were pleasing to me so... I may have purchased 2 or 3 bags of it. (Hey, they were only 50 cents!) I bought them with the intention of just having them on hand for the future because AGAIN the nutrition info on them was VERY pleasing to me- especially compared to other popcorns.

Well- it proved too much temptation for me. While my sister and I loaded our purchases into my trunk I saw the bag and... Opened it and shoved a few peices in my mouth before my sister had the chance to stop me.

Several things happened at once. Those few peices tasted ok (hey, it is diet food after all). My sister looked at me like "really, you butt head!" and I felt guilty. Then I began to panick. What had I just done. Popcorn is my weakness! Surely now that I've had it I won't be able to resist it again and I'm barely 6 weeks post op. All of these things took place within 5 seconds of me putting three peices of popcorn in my mouth.

THEN!!! I miracle happened. I didn't want anymore!

I'm sure this won't last forever. I am already dreaming about my WhirleyPop. But for now I'm ok. I pray that those three peices will not do me any harm. I'm barely 6 weeks post op.

I'm so glad you are all here to share these struggles with.

I have just started eating popcorn (after Christmas). It is definately a slider food for me. But, it does taste good, and it doesn't upset my stomach like it used to (bad GERD years ago - popcorn was a big NO).

I think the best thing right now is to not let it get to you too much. Don't dwell on it, because at least for me, that's when the excuses start... if you catch my drift. Hugs!!!

I am in Chicago this weekend and I got a free small bag of cheese popcorn from one of the great popcorn stores here free today. I put it in a plastic bag and going to take it home. I just love cheese flavored popcorn but I know that I can not eat it at 5 weeks........ I also got a free Herseys chocolate Bar......can't have that either. Nobody was handing our free sting cheese............