Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest Weight Loss Surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for Weight Loss Surgery patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your Weight Loss Surgery decisions as well as providing you the Weight Loss Surgery support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive BariatricPal member features!

Join our 250K+ WLS member community. It's free!!!

Fatigue...when Does It End After Gastric Sleeve Surgery?

Views
Started by Lisa821, Dec 23, 2011 3:53 PM
19 replies to this topic
19 replies to this topic

Lisa821

Expert Member

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted December 23, 2011 - 3:53 PM

I really need to vent.I have had intense fatigue since about my 2nd wk postop. I'm about at week 7 and I am still totally tired ALL OF THE TIME!! Has anyone else lived through this? If so, do you eventually come out of it? If so, how long before you start feeling normal?

I eat/drink right, sleep 8 continuous hrs/night, I work a full time job and have 4 very busy kids. I'm sure I get plenty of activity in a day. Now I am about to add in an exercise routine. Bahhhh! I just can't imagine how I am going to do it. I have zero energy. For instance, right now, it's 2:50pm where I am, I'm at work and if I closed my eyes for even 2 minutes I would be asleep. What is even scarier...is that I have to drive about 30 min to get home and I have to fight falling asleep all the way home. I just wish I knew what is wrong with me! My doctor checked my labs and everything was fine, I take my vitamins every day and I'm just totally frustrated cuz I get kinda crabby when I'm tired (I guess most people do).

Well thanks for letting me vent and if anyone has any ideas or words of hope let me know.
Big hugs.
Lisa
  • kgb likes this

Mike Cannon

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
Posted December 23, 2011 - 8:47 PM

I can totally relate to you. I am only 10 days post op and everything is going really well. I went back to work this week and by the time the afternoon comes around, I am yawning all the time. I have a 2 1/2 year old and he keeps me busy when I get home. I sure hope my energy level will pick up too and get back to normal. Good luck to you and Merry Christmas!
Mike
  • kgb likes this

illgeturhairdid

Junior Guru

• Surgeon: Ashutosh Kaul
  • Surgery Date: Dec 2011
  • Height: 5 feet 4 inches
  • Starting Weight: 310
  • Weight Lost: 116
  • Current Weight: 194
  • Goal Weight: 150
  • BMI: 33.3
  • My Blogs
Posted December 23, 2011 - 9:20 PM

I'm in the same boat. The last two nights I have felt like an over tired baby. I understand now why they cry from being so tired, because the last two nights that is exactly what I've done... Had myself a good cry over it. Crying doesn't help one bit with exhaustion either!

CowgirlJane

BariatricPal Host

• Surgery Date: Dec 2011
  • Height: 5 feet 5 inches
  • Starting Weight: 308 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 168 lbs
  • Current Weight: 140 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 158 lbs
  • BMI: 23.3
Posted December 23, 2011 - 9:50 PM

I am less then two weeks out, feeling good but unbelievably tired. I was warned about this... first 2-3 weeks would be like that.

Are you sure you are getting enough fluids? That is the most obvious reason for exetreme fatigue.

I hope you find a good solution - it is pretty miserable being so tired.

italianlady13

Guru in Training

Posted December 23, 2011 - 9:55 PM

I was exhausted for a good 4 months. I'm doing better now since I have increased my caloric intake to more than 500 calories to about 1000. I can't get in much more than that. I also took sabbatical from teaching for five months so I will return to work nxt week. I'm certain I will be exhausted all over again.

kgb

Posted January 1, 2012 - 12:11 PM

I'm close to I month out from my operation and I'm tired quite often. I'm really hoping it will go away once I start my mushies next Tuesday. I'm going to see my surgeon, dietitian, and exercise physiologist on Thursday, so I'm going to ask them about this since it's prevalent in the community. I'll report back my findings!

take care!

carbgrl

Aspiring Evangelist

Posted January 9, 2012 - 10:36 PM

Lisa,

I haven't had sleeve surgery yet but, I was extremely tired after I got the band for several weeks and after one other "female" surgery. So, I know it's normal to have fatigue but, are you getting enough protein?

Any kind of surgery is a big deal. Take care of yourself.

sleeve 4 me

Living the Best Me I Can Be :)

• Surgeon: Robert Zane
  • Surgery Date: Aug 2010
  • Height: 5 feet 6 inches
  • Weight Lost: 49
  • BMI: 25
  • My Blogs
Posted January 13, 2012 - 12:01 AM

I started feeling so much better at 3 months post op, then I did something DUMB! I STOPPED TAKING MY VITAMINS on a regular basis, DUMB!!! Then I was tired again. Now I have to take 2 multi vitamins a day, BUT I FEEL soooooo much better.

jewelwithin

Posted January 13, 2012 - 8:27 AM

I am in the same boat and very worried because I go back to work next week. I'm between a rock & a hard place because I'm self-employed and cannot afford to take any more time off. I'm just saying a prayer and talking to my kids (12 & 13) about things I may need more help with. Otherwise, when it comes to things like house cleaning and running here, there & everywhere, I'm just going to have to let a few things slide.

On top of that today and yesterday I have had terrible nausea. Today it came with heartburn. And today the ondansetron didn't help a bit. I'll be calling my doc on all this.

Sleeved&Hopeful

Aspiring Evangelist

• Surgeon: Mario Almanza-reyes
  • Surgery Date: Feb 2012
  • Height: 5 feet 4 inches
  • My Blogs
Posted January 13, 2012 - 5:05 PM

I am worried about the fatigue too. I already tire easily because of diabetes so I know I'm going to be extremely exhausted after the sleeve. I hope my husband doesn't get too frustrated. I am hoping once the excess weight is shed I will be much more energetic. I am hoping that you will be more energetic too once you incur more weight loss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Dec 20
    MrsMurky721

I've been working on this protein shake for three hours! UGH! I m...

Show comments (4)
View All Updates