Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Acid Reflux = Chronic Coughing?

So for the past week and a half, I've had a cold. I was hoarse last week, but a few days into that, I began to cough. I mean, coughing to the point of where i'm dry heaving. My lungs are clear; there's no mucus rattling around in there, and my cold is pretty much gone, but i'm still coughing like an old man with emphysema, ESPECIALLY when I lay down. I finally decided to research coughing and why it's triggered so much when I lay down. I got alot of answers back relating to acid reflux. Everything is making so much more sense to me now! I took two tums a while ago...my stomach has settled and I havent coughed in the last 15 minutes or so. Who woulda thunk it?

In my pre-sleeve life I never had an issue with acid reflux. I'm on Nexium and thought that would be enough to deal with acid issues after my sleeve. I put up a post earlier about feeling nauseous all day and not being able to read my sleeve. I'm not totally sure now, but I'm guessing that I may need some more antacids in my diet to keep me from getting so nauseated.

Anyone else coughin alot lately or am I the only one? lol

Just wanted to say that I'm glad you may have figured it all out. You might need to talk to your doc about switching PPIs to see if something else will work better for you. I started with Nexium but did best on Prilosec. The thing that clued me in that I needed a change was nausea and trouble sleeping due to acid in my throat. So yeah, I'd try to change my pills and see if that helps.

Good news is that for most of us it goes away. By four months I stopped having horrible pain if I forgot a pill and by six months I was off the PPI entirely. I no longer have any issues. Hopefully it will be the same for you!

I hope it all gets better soon!

~Cheri

I am 7 weeks post op. I have constant nausea, a sour taste in my mouth and do NOT feel like I believed I should at this point. Nexium helped initially but now seems to have little effect.

Am I alone or is this a normal complication to the VSG?

Thanks to anyone who can hlp. Marcia

I noticed the same thing the first few nights I was home from the hospital. It only happened when I was laying down. I've never had reflux issues either, but my husband has and he was the one that first suggested it and said I should try an antacid (my doctor didn't prescribe one). It worked wonders, so I'm planning to ask my dr about it when I go for my follow up appt in a couple of weeks. Maybe you need a stronger one? My husband has a prescription for Prevacid and swears by it.

very possible. I'm pre-op and was recently diagnosed with "silent reflux" -- LPR, in that I don't have typical reflux, I don't feel heartburn or feel stuff urping back up, but the acid is still coming up and damaging my throat. I was coughing like crazy when I laid down, and also sometimes during meals, my throat was much more sensitive to something disturbing it, and causing a coughing fit. He prescribed a med called Dexilant, which kicks reflux's *ss. My symptoms have gotten much better. I hope it will work for me post surgery.

Back in 96'-98' I was sick a lot. I spent an entire year with bronchitis. It was constant fevers, coughing, antibiotics and steroids. I ended up in the hospital with a diagnosis of COPD. I ended up losing 75lbs. In 98', I started having chest pains. After a trip to the ER, I was diagnosed with GERD. In July of 98', I had an emergency gallbladder removal. That had been the problem the whole time. The gallbladder was acting up causing the reflux. The acid was then refluxing into the bronchial tubes and lungs causing bronchitis and pneumonia. After the gallbladder was remover all problems resolved. A couple of years ago, I started having chest pains and coughing again. I am back on the acid meds and it has resolved once again. I am a testimonial to the power of the effects of too much acid!! Acid reducers work wonders. I take a strong one called Dexilant.

I am 3 months out and was having continued reflux issues (never had issues pre-op). I was on 20 mgs of omeprazole twice daily, and I was just recently switched to Dexilant in the a.m. and an OTC Zantac at night. It has already started working only after a couple days.

This is a good post and answers a lot of questions I was having. I'm a week out today and every since I came home from the hospital Sat. I've been coughing. In the hospital they were giving me protonix. I will ask for some and see if this helps. Thanks again for the post and let us know if your coughing gets better..

I had this problem as well. the doctor told me to try an OTC antacid and suggested Zantac or Prilosec and said it did not matter. I tried Zantac at first and it didn't help at all. After 2 weeks of that I switched to prilosec and that has helped very much. The doctor said hopefully I won't have to stay on it forever. I'm 3 months out from surgery so I hope that I can stop taking it at least by the 1 year mark.

Good luck, I hope you find something that will help you.

I got my protonix yesterday and took one yesterday and one today, I'm proud to report no coughing since yesterday.

Thanks so much, Bensia for posting your experience. I am considering gall bladder removal surgery and although I haven't had many typical gall bladder syptoms, I do have gallstones. I am 35 but have acid for as long as I remember and thought it was just hunger, but it has become MUCH more problematic lately and happens about 6 times a day/night - constantly on and of throughout the day and night. Even on an empty stomach or with just Water or milk, it hurts with anything I drink. PPIs, Tums, Acid reducer meds, Apple Cider Vinegar doesn't help at all, or only like for 10 mins and the pain and burning come back. The only thing that seems less or delay the acid reflux to help at all is eating. I have even resorted to drinking while I eat so there is less pain and burning. I have tried elminating the basic dietary problem foodsaand drinks for acid/gall bladder, but I get the acid pain no matter what I eat and drink (but it is the worst on an empty stomach or with just water) so I've given up. The burning/pain from acid wakes me up at night on empty stomach. My WLS was a year ago. Hopefully it will be solved with the gallbladder removal surgery.

This is/was my only reflux sign! It was constant! I will be 4 months out this week and I take prevacid once a day now and no coughing for a week. I started on protonix, changed to Nexium, back to protonix in the hospital then prevacid when discharged. I am sure hoping it goes away all together someday - no problems before surgery.

Almost a year out and have a lot of congestion in my chest. No other cold symptoms. It's been a month like this. I also wake up in the night with burning. Any thoughts?