Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Help: Pills After Gastric Sleeve Surgery Make Me Sick!

Ever since my sleeve on 10/17/11, I get really nauseous and feel like I might throw up (and sometimes get diarrhea) if I take any of my meds within the first half of the day. Did this happen to any of you and was/is it forever or can I expect this problem to go away eventually? Seems like my sleeve gets "looser" as the day / evening wears on. Does that sound familiar at all?

Also, ANY extended release meds at ANY time of day or night make me really ill.

Can you offer some insight? Thanks in advance!

I found that I can't take my Calcium Vitamins if I have an empty stomach. When I've tried to, I start producing a lot of saliva and feel like I could throw up but don't.

I'm 4 months post op and still have to be really careful with my pills. It is important to take only 1 or 2 pills at a time and also to space the next set of pills 30-45 minutes apart. If I take too many pills or take them too close together I get violent heartburn, then I salivate, then I start to dry heave and have foamies (i never fully throw up) then I have to go diarrhea. It is quite the episode. But I have the quanitity and timing of pills finally all figured out... for the most part :)

Also, I take an XR at night with no trouble. Make sure you have a little something in your tummy. But I don't advise trying to take pills right after you eat, it is hard to get them down and can hurt. And yes it does seem easier to do everything at night.

When I asked my dr about my pill problem he said it was because I was overwhelming my stomach. Try to figure out a couple pill plans and don't give up!

Hope some of this helps. Email me if you need more!

I tried to take all my pills on a completely empty stomach last week and it was UGLY. :) As long as I've had my Protein Shake I'm in good shape, and I try to take them slowly.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches