Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeping After Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Ive heard that many people can not lay down when they get home from the hospital. I've seen that people sleep in their recliners for 2 weeks to be comfortable. What has your experience been? Should I be investing in a new recliner?

I didn't have problems sleeping. My left side was really sore and you have to roll to your side before you try to get out of bed to make it easier.

I had no issue with sleeping. I could sleep in any position from day 1 and I am a stomach sleeper too. As a side note, because I could move around to any position, I pulled some some tubes from my OnQ ball out.

It took me a week to roll on my side but I used pillows to help. (I am a side or tummy sleeper.) I slept in my bed just fine, but sleeping on my back sucked. LOL

Then again, I didnt have my JP drain or OnQ still in when I went home.

I have a VERY big (but shrinking) stomach. It was not comfortable for me to lay on my side for about a month. I slept in the recliner. I think this is one of those very individual things.

I am three weeks post op today. I was unable to sleep anywhere but my recliner the first 15-16 days or so. I am a "side sleeper" and found that lying on my side caused pulling inside that was uncomfortable. That pain is now 99% gone. It did help, as I transitioned back to my bed, to hold a pillow against my tummy.

My sofa was my bed for the first 2 weeks post op. I probably could have slept in my bed but I was a little afraid. After the 2 weeks I went back to sleeping in my bed and on my tummy and it's been fine. I'm sure it depends on how you feel after surgery. Wherever you decide to sleep, I say get comfortable, curl up and prepare for some good and much needed sleep.< /p>

Pleasant dreams,

Niki

I'm a month out and I still can't sleep on my tummy because i have a little soreness (my surgeon says it's bruising under my incision). the first week I slept on my back, elevated slightly with pillows, and when I couldn't take that anymore, I laid down on my side slowly and carefully and had no problems as long as I took my time getting up (that handy little pillow is a life saver!).

I too think it depends on the individual. I'm looking forward to getting back to my tummy sleep!

I had no issue with sleeping. I could sleep in any position from day 1 and I am a stomach sleeper too. As a side note, because I could move around to any position, I pulled some some tubes from my OnQ ball out.

^^^ LUCKY!!!

That said, I was one of the ones who had to sleep on my back for a few weeks. I'm a tummy sleeper too so it wasn't that great... *sad face*

Get some comfy pillows to prop you up, unless you have the money for a new recliner. If you do, get one! They're just nice to have around for any reason. LOL

Slept on my back for two wks but with pillows behind my back and neck propping me up just like the hospital bed and one pillow under my lower legs n feet for elevation :0) now I can sleep on the left side that doesn't hurt as much as the rt side. But I usually wake up from that strain.

I used several pillows to prop me up in a semi reclined position on the bed. I also slept on my back for the first few weeks (have always slept on my side). It was rough but after 2.5-3 weeks I could sleep on my right side & after another week or so I could sleep on the left.