Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I the only one having a hard time losing the weight? I am almost 8 weeks out and yes, I have lost some, but it seems like I am not losing like most people on here do. I am up a pound, down an half pound, then back to where I started. I am 56 years old so maybe my loss will be slower than someone who is more active, but I am getting so depressed. I went back to work last week and there is a constant parade of food that comes into our office. I have resisted, but every day is harder. I cannot eat much at a meal, but I know that I could snack my way into a gain. Things like chicken seem to still choke me, but yet a few almonds here and then another few an hour later don't bother me at all. It took me 8 months and lots of prayer to get the surgery, and I am so afraid that I am going to fail at this. Since I went back to work I want to snack all day and sometimes it's all I think about. I leave early and it's almost dark when I get home. I sit at a desk all day with very little time to get away from it. Is there anyone with ideas on how to tame this?

Hey NewKat,

I was sleeved 8 weeks ago today and have lost 18 pounds since surgery (plus 20 pre-op). I can fluctuate as much as 3 pounds a day and that messes with my mind. I've found that eating plenty of Protein and getting my Water in help curtail the snacking. I track everything on myfitnesspal.com and that helps too(I'm bosslady1001 on there if you want to send me a friend request - there are several sleevers on there). And of course, exercise makes everything better - but I'm not as good in that department as I should be.

I'm 50 years old and I know I won't lose as fast as a 20 year old, but at least my weight is trending downward instead of upward. Hang in there - we can do this.

I'm a slow loser as well. I'm 15 weeks out and so far lost a total of 45 lbs (including preop). But you know what? I'm losing. Don't compare yourself to anyone else. I know its hard. I use to do the same thing and at times still do. But I'm happy as long as I lose.

Make sure you take your lunch and Snacks for the day. Be prepared that is the best advice I have. I eat 3 meals and 2 Snacks per day.

If you haven't joined www.myfitnesspal.com do so now. So many of us VSG'ers on there and you can look at each other's food diary to get ideas. Make sure to share your food diary as well so we can view yours and help you out if its needed.

I'm Texasmom65 on there.

I thank you both so much for the reply! I don't feel like I am the only one that is slow losing now. Do you mind telling me what you have for a snack? I came to work early this morning so I could walk around this complex and it made me feel like I was getting something done. I plan to keep this up. I will look you both up on myfitnesspal this weekend. Thanks again, Kathy

Hi Kathy,

I am almost 15 weeks out and I seem to be a slow loser also. I am down 47 pounds. I hear stories of 60 pound losses in the same time and it can become discouraging. Regardless, I am thrilled with my sleeve and know I will continue to lose. My health is much better which is the reason I did this, so I cannot complain. I do not always eat perfectly because of my crazy lifestyle, but I can't and don't want to eat very much anyway. My weight seems to go in chunks-nothing for a while and then "Bam" 3 pounds gone in a day. Hang in there.

Am I the only one having a hard time losing the weight? I am almost 8 weeks out and yes, I have lost some, but it seems like I am not losing like most people on here do. I am up a pound, down an half pound, then back to where I started. I am 56 years old so maybe my loss will be slower than someone who is more active, but I am getting so depressed. I went back to work last week and there is a constant parade of food that comes into our office. I have resisted, but every day is harder. I cannot eat much at a meal, but I know that I could snack my way into a gain. Things like chicken seem to still choke me, but yet a few almonds here and then another few an hour later don't bother me at all. It took me 8 months and lots of prayer to get the surgery, and I am so afraid that I am going to fail at this. Since I went back to work I want to snack all day and sometimes it's all I think about. I leave early and it's almost dark when I get home. I sit at a desk all day with very little time to get away from it. Is there anyone with ideas on how to tame this?

Hey Kathy,

I just thought I would pop a note on here... Try not to worry about being a 'slow loser' ,,, the sleeve is a brillant tool that will help you.

Before my sleeve, I tried EVERYTHING I could to lose weight... you name it I tried it, bought it, got the tee-shirt... you know what I mean. Today, I weighed in at my lowest since 1996! I borke throught the 12 stone marker and I am now 11 stone 10lb or 164lb. Honestly, I couldn't have done this without my sleeve. Over the last 6 weeks I have bounced up and down the same 3lbs ...I have not changed my diet or exercise but my body has just decided to get rid of some fat. I am nearly 16mths out and still losing... I will get to goal, or at least my surgeon's goal... I will rethink when I get there... I am 10lb away.

i just want you to know that it is doable... that even if the scale seems to be your enemy, it will eventually become your friend. But in the mean time, please don't let it dictate how you feel. At 8wks post op, you are still 'new' and you body is still a little shocked at the changes. It will happen for you...

Keep your chin up and keep doing what you are doing; follow the post op programme and get plenty of fluids

All the best...

Kathy, about Snacks... I like greek yogurt and sometimes I add a little Bear Naked Peak Protein granola if I want a little crunch. I've just discovered dry roasted edamame too - lots of Protein in a salty, crunchy snack. I keep almonds on hand and Kashi GoLean Protein & Fiber bars. When I want something sweet, I'll have a fudgesicle or a sugar free popsicle.

If I'm obsessing about something in particular, I will have a few bites and that usually takes care of my craving. I don't want to live a life denying myself of things I enjoy, but I am trying to be smarter about it.

One thing I've noticed is how selective I've become. Last night, my husband and I grabbed a quick bite at Waffle House before my son's football game. I ordered a ham and cheese omelette, with grits and wheat toast. I dug through the omelette with my fork until I found the perfect bites, had a couple of bites of grits, and then ate two or three bites out of the middle of the toast. I only ate the primo bites of everything. I used to save the best until last, but I'm learning to start with the best and then I don't want the rest. I looked at my plate after I was finished - still lots of food there and it was all torn up and moved around from me digging through it. It made me smile knowing that 3 months ago, I wouldn't have thought twice about it - my plate would have been clean!

I am only in my mid-30s, and am also a slow loser. I am 4 weeks out, and have lost 13 pounds since surgery. Yeah, it's slower than many on here, but I accept that every single body is different and that every journey is individual. And, let's be honest. I have no right to be upset. I would have never lost 13 pounds in 4 weeks without the sleeve. So let's Celebrate the trend and not the pace. Here's to trending downward!

I am in my early 40's and 8 weeks post-op tomorrow. I am really struggling mentally with that damn scale. It it moving at a turtles pace. I can rationalize it in my head all day long but that really doesn't help. I am trying to stay positive and be happy with 2-3 pounds a week on average. I try to look at the way clothing fits, actually size I now wear. I was a solid 20 before surgery and I am not a solid 16. To be able to buy non-plus sized clothing is a major pick-me-up for me. I still wish the scale would move faster. I have lost about 25 pounds since surgery and about 50 since I have started this journey with my 6 month supervised diet. The weight is coming off and the inches are melting away. It is just going to take me longer to meet my goals...unfortunately.

I'm 57. I will be two weeks out, this Tuesday. I was sleeved Oct 25. I had lost 53 pounds on my own before surgery keeping my calories under 1300 a day. Now I am basically getting in 510 calories a day and I haven't lost a pound!!

I know it's early. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't discouraged.

I see my surgeon tomorrow. Maybe they'll give me some answers.

I also recommend MyFitnessPal. It's a great tool- I log everything I eat. If you have a smartphone (or an iPod touch like I have), you can download their app and log your calories when you're on the go and away from a computer. If you want to add me, my username is kalars88. We can compare food diaries and see each others weight losses. It's a lot of fun :smile1:

Everyone loses weight at different speeds, so don't be discouraged. You may be in a stall- I get those all the time. I drop weight quickly the week before and during my period, and then during the other 2 weeks of the month I stall. It's frustrating, but as long as the scale keeps moving it's all good :smile1:

I 44 and yes I am a slow loser too :) I know it gets seriously discouraging when you see the numbers not move as fast as others but the "everyone loses differently" is really a true statement. I have lost 70lbs so far. Mind you that is 70 from last year. I lost 34lbs during my Dr's apptments to pre op that was from June 2010 to April 2011. Then pre op I lost 16lbs. So you can do the math and see that is only 20lbs since my surgery. I am 6 months post op now and I am 15lbs away from my weight goal but I have made so many of my other goals that I am at peace with the weight loss to date. If I didn't have the sleeve, all that weight that I lost pre op would be winding its way back with a vengence right about now. With it, I have been able to lose 20 more. Keep fighting the good fight and you will get there.

I am 7 months out also and I started at 240 and I am currently at 171 (as of this morning) I just want to cry sometimes. I am constantly worrying what I am doing wrong. I keep my calories right at 800 per day. I eat my Protein first. I rarely cheat ( sweet toot, bread) I am just so frustrated. I have moved from a size 22 to a size 12...And yes that is good, but I would like to be a nice happy 8....I would like to be at least 150...I understand that I am almost there....I am fighting tooth and nail to get there....Do you guys have any suggestions....i am at the end of my rope and I do not want to throw in the towel yet...but I think that the level of frustration that I am at...this could be possible....lol

Oh I am the Queen of slow losers and have been on this board many a times to talk to my fellow sleevers about it, you are so not alone !! I have lost 60 pounds and I am 6 mo and 3 weeks post op it is sooo fustrating I totally understand I have stalled and gained through this whole process I would think why the hell did I get this stupid surgery!! But as time goes by I know i would never be here without it !!! I am so lucky to of been able to get this wonderful tool and have to be realistic that I would never of been able to do this alone, if I could I would have been health a long time ago..Right? I have gone from a size 18/20 to 10/12 ..how can I not love that.. Be strong you will look back and say wow I promise. I suggest myfitnesspal too feel free to add me lijuarez be honest with yourself there its important, make sure to take measurements !! There vital to tracking loss, we may not see it on the scale but you will in inches. Find a exercise you like doing !! Pack your food for the day and healthy Snacks, my job likes to feed us every chance they get too, so i feel you. I am here if you ever have any questions, good luck and enjoy this wonderful journey.

So...from what I gather even we so called "slow losers" average about 10 lbs per month? Yeah, we should be very upset. Before surgery we were losing how much per month?