Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thankfully I am not having to go to the Thrift shops yet. I am still shopping from my closet. Keeping those 4 sizes smaller has been a real positive for once.

I've kept the four sizes also.. So I had anywhere from 22/24 to 14 from my lastYo yo diet. I'm cleaning closets out now and can't believe all the clothes that have to go. Starting to fit in some of the fourteen. After that it is thrift stores...already scouted a great one out:).

We have a clothing consignment shop nearby and I take all my old but still in good conniption stuff there! I am going to be sleeved in December and I am looking forward to getting rid of all my big girl clothes! Cannot wait, plus I'll get cash back from them too that I can spend on new clothes!!!

Actually, I have become pickier. I have gotten rid of almost all of my too big clothes, but have decided to replace it with fewer clothes that I genuinely like - not just clothes I could stuff myself into. If I buy something and I don't like it afterall, i give it away immediately. It is lovely to have a closet that isn't stuffed (I used to keep enough clothes for my varying sizes) and that has only things I really like to wear.

I go to Ross Dress for Less about once every month or two because the smaller I get the fast clothes get baggy on me. I joined a friend shopping a month or so ago as she had a bunch of coupons that made her favorite store even cheaper then Ross! I never pay more then about 10-12 for a top. My big splurge was a London Fog short trench in red which just looks great (think "what not to wear" styling!) with my coloring and has been so worth it even though it is about a size too large already.

I don't really have a personal style so much, but I like fitted clothes. Wearing things that are a bit tailored looking and that can be tucked in etc make me look and feel trimmer. I am also using Shapewear - not the brutally tight ones, but pretty comfortable. They make a big difference in getting that "put together" look.

Right now though I need to make a major purchase - a winter coat for horseback riding. I was hoping to be closer to goal before buying it, but I am getting cold out there so it is a necessity. My frugal nature hates that, but in fitting with my "wearing what makes me feel good" I NEED to get a decent looking coat suitable for winter riding. Right now, I am layering under my "fall" shoftshell jacket as it is already a bit big on me but that won't cut it once we start getting freezing weather.

I've been getting rid of all my various sizes in my closet that my yo yo diet from the years had made necessary. With that being said my smallest size is now getting baggy, I'm finally am going to need a smaller size that I haven't owned...yah! My winter coats are pretty baggie, but I'll stick with my extra large just until some great sales hit around Christmas.

Everybody deserves too shop!! Shop everyday, shop 3 times a day! Especially if its the thrift store. You deserve it. Shopping is the best part of weight loss(for me)

How about you? I go to the thrift store at least once a week' date=' maybe three.... I did need to toss/give away 95 percent of my clothing....and now Im sure I have replaced that... but JUST have to check out that thrift store one more time...just in case there is something I have missed.

I have always liked cloths... have cultivated a style for myself...but when I was heavy (for most of 20years) I would feel like buying something else, because I never felt like I looked very good in anything. Clothing can only do so much for covering up the fact that you are fat. As I have lost weight, I feel like I do look good, better than before for sure. I can buy cloths that are not from the Womens dept. The thrift store is fine with me... we have a Goodwill close to work that carries fabulous things, designer, vintage and other... for a song. I don't make much money, and the thrift store prices are not breaking the bank... I just sort of hope I STOP the habit pretty soon or I will be drowning in cloths. I don't have great storage and do not want to live on a pile of cloths! I think part of what I am doing is finding my look.... I keep trying stuff on and looking in the mirror... to try and "see" myself... the new me. I am also scanning fashion blogs. I used to work in fashion display, and dressed windows and such, used to get paid for my fashion sense... after I got heavier and heavier, it was so hard for me to see myself in that context...very hard. What do you think? I do put some of the new cloths back in the recycle pile when I don't think I will end up wearing them... this helps...but I do feel a little frenzied.

...oh yes, I also am finding ways to "go out" more, see people I haven't seen in a while, hang out, and reintroduce my new self to the town again... Got to have something to do so I have an excuse to dress up! I even dress up to go to work, which does not care one way or the other... just part of the reinvention...[/quote']

This life is no dress rehersal kick ass when you can..... go for it have a wonderful time loads of love and hugs S from Scotland

I'm addicted to shopping. :( not good!!

too bad this thread is no longer active I would like to discuss our new shopping habits. I'm not bypassing my bills to shop but I am receiving frequent packages from online stores that I love. I love not having to go to the mall sometimes so its easy for me to pick up a few cute tops, boots, jeans or a dress online. Now I just told myself I need to stop but now its time to think about spring/summer. uh oh.

I've been struggling with this, too. People who have never been plus sized don't understand what a weird world you're dropped into when you're no longer only able to shop 2 racks in 4 or 5 stores. I was a size 20 and am now an 8/10 and I found it overwhelming at first to walk into a store and have literally everything available to me. I started going nuts buying more than I could afford or reasonably wear. I'm getting much better, though, and here are some strategies that have worked for me:

• i realized that much of my overbuying came from the "fat girl clothes" thought process - I almost never found anything that fit me well at a 20 so now if it fits I automatically want to buy it. Regardless of whether I actually like it or not. I've started taking things into the fitting room and asking myself "if I went home without buying this item, would I regret it? Will I wear it more than once a month? Can I think of more than one outfit this will go with?" If yes, I buy it. If I don't absolutely love it and smile in the mirror when I'm trying it on, I put it back. I can always come back if I change my mind.
  • Selling clothes that don't fit me anymore. On eBay or poshmark or a garage sale. Getting some cash back for items in good shape and donating the rest helps.
  • One in, one out. I don't need 5 white tees. If I have a similar item at home but I'm in love with one I want to buy, I sell/donate the old one. Sometimes that's enough to make me not want to buy it in the first place.
  • Setting a monthly budget for shopping, always the same, regardless if you use it every month. Let's say it's $50. If you see something you're dying to have that's $75, wait until next month. If you don't use it one month, roll it over to next month.
  • Realizing that now I can't eat when I'm bored or sad or anxious and that I'm replacing it with the high of shopping. Sounds simple but when you admit to yourself that it's an emotional outlet, it's easier to anticipate when you'll feel the urge.

The truth is that we need clothes and most of us are replacing entire wardrobes out of necessity and often cycle through sizes quickly in our losing phase. The key is to identify the emotions that are tied in with shopping and clothes. Most of us have a long painful history with the fitting room and we're not equipped to separate the emotional part from the logical part.