Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Bowel Movements...Is this Normal?

Hello All,

I've read many posts on here about people having problems with diarrhea. I haven't had a bowel movement since the day before surgery. I was sleeved on October 5th, only 6 days ago. I'm getting concerned...shouldn't there be some kind of activity? I'm also having a hard time with my Fluid intake. I must drink about 20 to 30 oz of fluids a day. This includes my Water, Protein, Soup, cream of wheat and lots and lots of sugar free popscicles. Did I mention I eat tons of popscicles?!?!

Anyone experience something similar?

Hello All,

I've read many posts on here about people having problems with diarrhea. I haven't had a bowel movement since the day before surgery. I was sleeved on October 5th, only 6 days ago. I'm getting concerned...shouldn't there be some kind of activity? I'm also having a hard time with my Fluid intake. I must drink about 20 to 30 oz of fluids a day. This includes my Water, Protein, Soup, cream of wheat and lots and lots of sugar free popscicles. Did I mention I eat tons of popscicles?!?!

Anyone experience something similar?

Usually on day 2 they like to see a BM. Are you passing gas? How much pain med are you taking? Lortab/vicoden can be extremely constipating. My Surgeon has us taking in 64 oz Fluid a day, and if no BM by day 2 Colace an over the counter stool softner. FYI loose or runny the first few time is not a bad thingblink.gif

I had to take a laxative to get started once my body stalled. After that, I took a Fiber supplement (benefiber) with every drink until about 5 months out. I also took a stool softener if I hit the 3rd day and no bm. I am not a fan of Constipation, and found that this was important until I could up the fiber in my diet with fresh veggies.

Like you I had a movement the day before surgery. When I was released from the hosiptal I was given Tylenol 3 (Tylenol with coedine) for pain and it's known to cause Constipation -- which it did. At my 1 week appointment I told my doctor that I hadn't gone and he suggested Milk of Magnesia. Not "going" after surgery is extremely common... so is watery stools (which I have yet to experience).

I think you'll become more regular when you take in more food. As long as you're passing gas or hearing/feeling rumbles in your lower belly that means your intestines are functioning which is a great thing. Before you know it you'll have stools-a-plenty - LOL.

If you don't go soon, consult with your physician. He/she will guide you with regard to which over the counter medicine to take.

All the best,

Niki

Usually on day 2 they like to see a BM. Are you passing gas? How much pain med are you taking? Lortab/vicoden can be extremely constipating. My Surgeon has us taking in 64 oz Fluid a day, and if no BM by day 2 Colace an over the counter stool softner. FYI loose or runny the first few time is not a bad thingblink.gif

Thanks Shamrock...I do have a bit of gas but no BM yet. I'm taking Oxycodone for pain but I'm decreased my intake. I will have to see if Constipation is one of the side effects. Thanks for the advice! :)

Like you I had a movement the day before surgery. When I was released from the hosiptal I was given Tylenol 3 (Tylenol with coedine) for pain and it's known to cause Constipation -- which it did. At my 1 week appointment I told my doctor that I hadn't gone and he suggested Milk of Magnesia. Not "going" after surgery is extremely common... so is watery stools (which I have yet to experience).

I think you'll become more regular when you take in more food. As long as you're passing gas or hearing/feeling rumbles in your lower belly that means your intestines are functioning which is a great thing. Before you know it you'll have stools-a-plenty - LOL.

If you don't go soon, consult with your physician. He/she will guide you with regard to which over the counter medicine to take.

All the best,

Niki

Thanks Niki! Have a great day! :)

I had to take a laxative to get started once my body stalled. After that, I took a fiber supplement (benefiber) with every drink until about 5 months out. I also took a stool softener if I hit the 3rd day and no bm. I am not a fan of Constipation, and found that this was important until I could up the fiber in my diet with fresh veggies.

Thanks for the advice eureka! I think I'll call my doctor just to make sure things get on track soon! :)

I didn't have a BM for 6 days after surgery! It will happen!

I don't remember exactly when I started pooping, but it was around a week or so after surgery. As long as you're passing gas, you should be OK for now. You're not really taking in anything to poop at this point!

Yeap! Same thing happened to me. They sent me home witht milk of magnesia but that just was too hard on my stomach. I literally ran to the bathroom after 20 mins and spent the entire night there. I didnt have consistant BM's for a couple months after surgery. After not having any luck with colace I tried Mirlax. That was the most gentle. I only used it if I went a few days with out going.

It all worked itself out about 4 months. Hope that helps.

If i remember correctly I didn't have one for at least 2 weeks post op. However ... I'm not super regular. I used Benefiber and drank some prune juice. It still took days for anything to happen.

Think our bodies are just in shock mode. Trying to hold on to everything it can ... even the stuff that clearly needs to GO! lol

This seems to be a weekly issue here. I always wonder if people are constipated or just wondering if they should go. I can never tell. My doc said not to worry until you could say it was Constipation as a lot of people have very rare movements while on liquid. If you're just not going because there's no need to, he said he would not react. I didn't have any constipation issues until I moved off liquid. Until that time, there just wasn't much to pass through. Just be careful that if you are not actually constipated you don't use anything too harsh yet.

On 10/11/2011 at 7:59 PM, DoOver said:

This seems to be a weekly issue here. I always wonder if people are constipated or just wondering if they should go. I can never tell. My doc said not to worry until you could say it was Constipation as a lot of people have very rare movements while on liquid. If you're just not going because there's no need to, he said he would not react. I didn't have any constipation issues until I moved off liquid. Until that time, there just wasn't much to pass through. Just be careful that if you are not actually constipated you don't use anything too harsh yet.

Thanks