Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

No Bowel Movements...Is this Normal?

Views
Started by Naida, Oct 11, 2011 2:48 AM
13 replies to this topic
13 replies to this topic

Naida

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted October 11, 2011 - 2:48 AM

Hello All,

I've read many posts on here about people having problems with diarrhea. I haven't had a bowel movement since the day before surgery. I was sleeved on October 5th, only 6 days ago. I'm getting concerned...shouldn't there be some kind of activity? I'm also having a hard time with my fluid intake. I must drink about 20 to 30 oz of fluids a day. This includes my water, protein, soup, cream of wheat and lots and lots of sugar free popscicles. Did I mention I eat tons of popscicles?!?!

Anyone experience something similar?

Beth323

Posted October 11, 2011 - 3:07 AM

Hello All,

I've read many posts on here about people having problems with diarrhea. I haven't had a bowel movement since the day before surgery. I was sleeved on October 5th, only 6 days ago. I'm getting concerned...shouldn't there be some kind of activity? I'm also having a hard time with my fluid intake. I must drink about 20 to 30 oz of fluids a day. This includes my water, protein, soup, cream of wheat and lots and lots of sugar free popscicles. Did I mention I eat tons of popscicles?!?!

Anyone experience something similar?

Beth323

Posted October 11, 2011 - 3:12 AM

Usually on day 2 they like to see a BM. Are you passing gas? How much pain med are you taking? Lortab/vicoden can be extremely constipating. My Surgeon has us taking in 64 oz fluid a day, and if no BM by day 2 Colace an over the counter stool softner. FYI loose or runny the first few time is not a bad thingPosted Image

Eureka-C

Bariatric Guru

• Surgery Date: Nov 2010
  • Height: 5 feet 8 inches
  • Starting Weight: 299 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 89 lbs
  • Current Weight: 210 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 150 lbs
  • BMI: 31.9
Posted October 11, 2011 - 9:03 AM

I had to take a laxative to get started once my body stalled. After that, I took a fiber supplement (benefiber) with every drink until about 5 months out. I also took a stool softener if I hit the 3rd day and no bm. I am not a fan of constipation, and found that this was important until I could up the fiber in my diet with fresh veggies.

NikiS

Guru in Training

• My Blogs
Posted October 11, 2011 - 10:53 AM

Like you I had a movement the day before surgery. When I was released from the hosiptal I was given Tylenol 3 (Tylenol with coedine) for pain and it's known to cause constipation -- which it did. At my 1 week appointment I told my doctor that I hadn't gone and he suggested Milk of Magnesia. Not "going" after surgery is extremely common... so is watery stools (which I have yet to experience).

I think you'll become more regular when you take in more food. As long as you're passing gas or hearing/feeling rumbles in your lower belly that means your intestines are functioning which is a great thing. Before you know it you'll have stools-a-plenty - LOL.

If you don't go soon, consult with your physician. He/she will guide you with regard to which over the counter medicine to take.

All the best,
Niki

SmokyMtnGal2011

Guru in Training

• My Blogs
Posted October 11, 2011 - 10:55 AM

Did anyone have this issue on their pre-op diet???

Naida

Posted October 11, 2011 - 2:09 PM

Usually on day 2 they like to see a BM. Are you passing gas? How much pain med are you taking? Lortab/vicoden can be extremely constipating. My Surgeon has us taking in 64 oz fluid a day, and if no BM by day 2 Colace an over the counter stool softner. FYI loose or runny the first few time is not a bad thingPosted Image

Thanks Shamrock...I do have a bit of gas but no BM yet. I'm taking Oxycodone for pain but I'm decreased my intake. I will have to see if constipation is one of the side effects. Thanks for the advice! :)

Naida

Posted October 11, 2011 - 2:10 PM

Like you I had a movement the day before surgery. When I was released from the hosiptal I was given Tylenol 3 (Tylenol with coedine) for pain and it's known to cause constipation -- which it did. At my 1 week appointment I told my doctor that I hadn't gone and he suggested Milk of Magnesia. Not "going" after surgery is extremely common... so is watery stools (which I have yet to experience).

I think you'll become more regular when you take in more food. As long as you're passing gas or hearing/feeling rumbles in your lower belly that means your intestines are functioning which is a great thing. Before you know it you'll have stools-a-plenty - LOL.

If you don't go soon, consult with your physician. He/she will guide you with regard to which over the counter medicine to take.

All the best,
Niki

Thanks Niki! Have a great day! :)

Naida

Posted October 11, 2011 - 2:12 PM

I had to take a laxative to get started once my body stalled. After that, I took a fiber supplement (benefiber) with every drink until about 5 months out. I also took a stool softener if I hit the 3rd day and no bm. I am not a fan of constipation, and found that this was important until I could up the fiber in my diet with fresh veggies.

Thanks for the advice eureka! I think I'll call my doctor just to make sure things get on track soon! :)

FishingNurse

Believes in the Sleeve!!!

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
  • Surgeon: Thomas Jones
  • Surgery Date: Aug 2011
  • Height: 5 feet 4 inches
  • Starting Weight: 262
  • Weight Lost: 95
  • Current Weight: 167
  • Goal Weight: 155
  • BMI: 28.7
Posted October 11, 2011 - 2:12 PM

I didn't have a BM for 6 days after surgery! It will happen!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Oct 20
    pupichupi

Ugh so disgusted with myself, I gained 2 lbs for the first time in 7 months a...

Show comments (6)
View All Updates

Trending Topics