Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You know you lost weight when

when the tall, skinny Barbie type receptionist claims for the last several months you are as skinny as her...

She ordered jeans on line, they came in & 3 pairs were too small for her... she made me try them on to prove her theory... and they all FIT...

in COMPLETE shock!

I just dont see myself that thin...

When you take a new home sleep study and can turn in your CPAP machine! smile.gifsmile.gif

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS! I just had to have my pressure turned down from 12 to 8. By summer I want to be off the CPAP machine.

1) I was mistaken for my younger (smaller) sister at a recent family gathering...

2) I was not recognized by some extended family

3) I went to an off-site meeting for work recently, the receptionist at the organization did not recognize me, despite having worked with her a few times last summer for some event scheduling.

4) Getting double-takes from coworkers as they start noticing the difference.

5) I've been posting comparison photos of me when this first started last spring with new photos each month. I get SO MANY comments about the difference... and many, many people have told me how much I am inspiring them because of all of the changes I've succeeded in making in my life.

6) My grandmother has stopped ragging on me about my "weight issue"... but has started in on asking when I'm going to find a nice, young man to settle down with.

when the tall, skinny Barbie type receptionist claims for the last several months you are as skinny as her...

She ordered jeans on line, they came in & 3 pairs were too small for her... she made me try them on to prove her theory... and they all FIT...

in COMPLETE shock!

That's great! Try to see yourself as if you were just meeting you for the first time! :)

Edited by Rogofulm

1) I was mistaken for my younger (smaller) sister at a recent family gathering...

2) I was not recognized by some extended family

3) I went to an off-site meeting for work recently, the receptionist at the organization did not recognize me, despite having worked with her a few times last summer for some event scheduling.

4) Getting double-takes from coworkers as they start noticing the difference.

5) I've been posting comparison photos of me when this first started last spring with new photos each month. I get SO MANY comments about the difference... and many, many people have told me how much I am inspiring them because of all of the changes I've succeeded in making in my life.

6) My grandmother has stopped ragging on me about my "weight issue"... but has started in on asking when I'm going to find a nice, young man to settle down with.

That's wonderful! Good luck with that last one, and remember, be choosy - you're worth it!

@Rogofulm - someone else said that very thing... My question is HOW do you do that???

I sometimes will be in the middle of something and catch a glimips of my leg or some other body part & be confused then realize WAIT thats me! it still takes me back....

When you go back and visit your surgeon a year later and even HE almost can't believe I'm the same person.

I hope to do this at my 1-year follow up with my surgeon! :)

There are people I've dreaded running into over the last 20 years... my high school classmates, a former roommate, and my exes.

I still have a ways to go before I feel comfortable to appear at my 20 year class reunion... however, I still have three years before I'm at that point... And once I hit my goal, boy-o, I will want to go. Yessirree!

it will be interesting to see the exes and how they respond...

but also, my former roommate and I departed on not-so-good terms... and one thing he made sure to do on his way out is torment me about my weight, because he knew it was my biggest weakness. (It was bad enough that it gave me nightmares and the thought of running into him gave me panic attacks for a couple years afterwards.) I'm not saying I would want to see him again, however, I'm confident enough in myself now that if I were ever to bump into him, I wouldn't respond the way I would've before.

in COMPLETE shock!

Hi @@skinnygirlwithin – Not sure which of my recent posts you're referring to. Please clarify and I'll try to give you a thoughtful answer.

Hi @@skinnygirlwithin – Not sure which of my recent posts you're referring to. Please clarify and I'll try to give you a thoughtful answer.

@Rogofulm you said "Try to see yourself as if you were just meeting you for the first time!"

@Rogofulm you said "Try to see yourself as if you were just meeting you for the first time!"

Ah, yes. That thought has been forming in my head for some time. One day I came to the realization that anyone I meet now will only know me as a slender person. They have no idea that I used to be a "big" guy and are therefore free of any preconceived notions (or prejudices) that go along with that. I've noticed that many people who lose a substantial amount of weight look backwards at who they used to be. Some even look in the mirror and see a fat person disguised in a thin costume. To my mind, that's counterproductive thinking that can make it easier to slip back into the eating habits of their former selves. So... If I try to see myself as new acquaintances see me, then I can accept that I am a normal-sized person – with healthy eating habits! Then I'm more likely to make the choices from the "new" person's perspective, and less likely to be waiting for the time when I can eat all those foods I've been avoiding. The new me either won't be tempted to eat sugars and starches, or will be able to eat them in very limited quantities. That's my plan, anyway. It's all part of my deep belief that we have a limited amount of time after surgery to get our heads in the right place for the future. If we don't, we are at risk of slipping backwards and having to re-start our program at some point. And I'm working very hard to try and avoid that! Does that make sense?

So to get this thread back on track.....

You know you've lost weight when you look in the mirror and identify with the slimmer person looking back at you!

Edited by Rogofulm

Ah, yes. That thought has been forming in my head for some time. One day I came to the realization that anyone I meet now will only know me as a slender person. They have no idea that I used to be a "big" guy and are therefore free of any preconceived notions (or prejudices) that go along with that. I've noticed that many people who lose a substantial amount of weight look backwards at who they used to be. Some even look in the mirror and see a fat person disguised in a thin costume. To my mind, that's counterproductive thinking that can make it easier to slip back into the eating habits of their former selves. So... If I try to see myself as new acquaintances see me, then I can accept that I am a normal-sized person – with healthy eating habits! Then I'm more likely to make the choices from the "new" person's perspective, and less likely to be waiting for the time when I can eat all those foods I've been avoiding. The new me either won't be tempted to eat sugars and starches, or will be able to eat them in very limited quantities. That's my plan, anyway. It's all part of my deep belief that we have a limited amount of time after surgery to get our heads in the right place for the future. If we don't, we are at risk of slipping backwards and having to re-start our program at some point. And I'm working very hard to try and avoid that! Does that make sense?

Makes sense to me. I like this. Thanks for the insight.

When your legs can now move behind your head easier and stay there for a while when your having adult time with your hubby... Sorry I know it's a over share

LMAO!! This is awesome

Walking down 5 flights of stairs:

• I don't have to hold on to the rails to support/steady myself
  • I can face forward, instead of sideways,
  • I can pick up the pace and don't get winded
  • I can walk down in successive steps, instead of stepping right foot down a step, then left foot on to the same step... this is the ritual I picked up after my knee surgery, since my knee didn't bend well after surgery.