Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

they consider failure losing less than 50% of excess weight. I have heard a few with regain but no true failure.

Yea, there's technical failure and your expectations.

I've always been a very slow loser. When I'd do Weight Watches I had to undercut their "points" by about 20% to lose 1 pound a week. Now that my body is sleeved it's fighting me tooth and nail to stay fat. I know I will never be thin but I think this surgery will save me from being morbidly obese for the rest of my life. To me, that's success. Although I will agree that my sugeon does not see it that way and that's difficult.

I think the real answer is the standard answer. It's a tool. You still have to watch your diet to win completely.

I think the "failure" is to not utilize your tool to the best of your ability. Just like any tool you have to use it to make something happen ;) I am a super super slow loser but, I use my tool and am now down to 2 pills a day from 20. To me if I never lose another pound that is a success!

To my knowledge all who had the surgery losses weight.

As stated, some do gain and some gain more. But that is

a individualistic matter. Stick to the plan, you will loose,

and keep it off.

Has anyone here had the sleeve and not lost weight? Is there a failure rate? huh.gif

I thought it was something like 30-35 percent gain the weight back?

Gosh, please let me be in the skinny 70%.

I personally think the failure rate is based on the person. As many have said and will say, this is a tool. Just like taking medication for a medical condition, you have to accept what you are doing and only you can make is succcesful. Some people have unrealistic goals or put too much pressure on themselves. My doctor did not set up a set goal weight. I had in my mind what I wanted to weigh which was around 125 which means I would have need to lose over 100 lbs. But as I started to lose weight, I have revised my goal multiple times. I think I am probably at my final weight as I am hovering around 155. When I look in the mirror I can see my collar bones so if I lose much more I may start looking sickly. The only place I am still holding on to excess body fat is through my middle. Yesterday I bought a size 10 pair of shorts. That I did not met my goal, am I failure. NO WAY....I am happy of where I am at. I am no longer diabetic on medication or taking cholestral medication. My husband and I going hiking and I can walk 3-4 miles a day without being winded or look like I may have a attack. Would I love to lose a 10 more pounds-sure but I am not going to obsess over it.. Make small goals and look at each one as a victory and you will be successful!

Technically I am a "failure" as almost 4 yrs after surgery I haven't lost 50-60% of my excess weight. My surgeon has done over 500 sleeves and only has 3 "failures". He said it's rare for a sleever to not lose at least 60% of their excess weight.

I've lost almost 100 pounds now (some of it for the 2nd time LOL) so I don't really think I'm that much of a failure! And some day I hope to get to my goal. it might just take me a little longer.

losing almost 100lbs is anything but a failure. just keep chuggen along. the only failure is when you quit trying.

I hate the word failure... in my head it is the F word....

I am a slow loser ... and was hoping to be at goal by my year anniversary... I didn't get there and I am 17lbs away from ym surgeon's goal and 31lb from my goal... does that mean that I have failed? NO WAY!! I have lost 67lb in that year... in the past, on different diets I could NEVER lose more than 5-7lbs and boy did I battle away for months on end. For my personal goal I have lost 67% of my excess weight and for my surgeon's goal it is a lot higher...

I really think it is all relative; expectations and how the body responds. We are all different!

Oh and Last Chance Lil... I agree with Sassygirl... 100lb lost is NOT a failure!

well I feel like a failure... I have been sleeved about 6months ago. lost 57lbs, gained 4lbs back... how can I gain 4lbs in a week!!! I hope it's Water weight or something.. I feel like just starving myself!

JaspersGirl, don't give up on yourself yet!! 57 pounds in 6 months is AWESOME! You are NOT a failure. You're going to see some fluctuations in your weight, but if you keep focusing on the long-term trends, you'll see progress towards your goal. Sure, it's frustrating, but hang in there!

I was soooo very scared that this procedure would not work for me because I had failed at keeping my weight off so many other times.

I really don't think the sleeve will fail you if you do what you are supposed to do. you will fail it by not working it properly. if you make poor choices and feed it garbage, sure you will gain weight. keep Protein first and you will do great. I personally can not eat much more than Protein if I eat the way I am supposed to. I could snack all day and eat junk, I could see how I could cheat my sleeve and re-gain my 100lbs if I wanted to, but I can't see myself doing that!

Kelly ;)

My surgeon told me most people lose 85 percent of excess weight, which is what I lost. to me those that lose 100 percent work harder or are super lucky.But for me I am okay at 145, size 8 or 10. At 5'1".

it beats the heck out of 220.

I never exercised and just focused on Protein and got my fluids in. I drank iced tea orvcherry koolaid w sugar made weak the whole way. No chemical sweeteners, but sometimes agave. drank more natural broth than whey Protein. I was the naturale girl just sticking to wholesome food not junky food. Ate my favorite stuff but less. Hardly ate a sandwich don't much care for sandwiches or lunchmeat or eggs. Took Vitamin code Vitamins for women made from raw veggies so more BMs finally which is helping me feel better.

My internist said I should weigh 130. but I have maintained my weight a year almost and I feel it is fine.

don't overanalyze, just focus on finding the best best surgeon.