Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any 'self pay' sleevers out there?

Just found out that my insurance won't cover the sleeve because my BMI isn't high enough. So they're basically telling me I'm fat enough for bypass or the band but not fat enough for the sleeve. What kind of messed up logic is that???

But I digress....

My question is: for those of you who self paid for your sleeve, what was the total cost? Also, are there finance companies available for this sort of thing or did you just go to your local bank?

Thanks in advance!

I was self pay in TN and I paid $16,500 for surgery, hospital, anesthesiologist, and 1 year post op visits. It did not cover all pre op tests such as EKG, labs, ultrasound, etc. All together I've spent about 18,000 but would do it again in a heartbeat! I couldn't find a medical loan company so I was going to use my bank but my parents stepped in with a loan that I am now repaying minus interest! Good luck! It's worth every penny!

I was a self pay in TX. For the surgery and follow-up doctor visits I paid $16,400. Some doctor's offices offer a type of medical credit card that you can get. Good luck. It is definitely the best thing that I have ever done for myself!

Hi, I know there are several here who won appealing their insurance denials and won. Seems to me you would have a good case if they are willing to okay bypass and band. I was self paid here in S.Ca. The surgery and a year's worth of post op visits and labs was 15,900. I probably had to pay an addiction 1500 for some of the pre op tests, UGI, pyche eval, nut eval and path on the part of my stomach they removed.

I was a self pay in Louisiana and my cost was $13,600. That included everything. If I have a complication and have to go to hospital to be admitted all I have to pay is $200. I was just in for 3 days for dehydration and its nice to know what would of been a several thousand dollar hospital bill was only $200.

I was with Dr. Ganta in Austin, TX. It was $14,500 for his fee, the nut, the fitness and psyche eval. It includes a year of follow up along with the hospital, anesthesiology, etc. I had to pay my own pre op testing (not sure, hoping the insurance will pick some of those up!). He's fabulous doctor, I was surprised that was his self pay fee, I've always been treated VERY well at his office. I thought of going to Mexico but I wanted the after care and I knew I needed it. In the end, I couldn't be happier with my choice.

I didn't want to bother flying anywhere. My entire cost was a little under $12000. I drove 3+ hours to get there so I haven't gone to any post-op appointments but that would be included if I needed it. I was very happy with my surgery.

Dr. Nick in Plano, Texas charges $12,200. This includes him, the hospital fees, the anesthesiologist and follow up visits for life. He accepts Care Credit (www.carecredit.com) and all major credit cards. The path to self pay was about three weeks from first consultation to surgery itself. Nice and fast. Any preop testing is covered.

$8750 with Dr. Aceves in Mexicali, Mexico. One night pre-op in a hotel, three nights in the hospital. He's done thousands of them.

Also, I agree with a previous poster who said appeal your insurance decision. It sounds to me like they will pay for the sleeve as part of the duodenal switch surgery which is usually for higher BMI patients. If your innards aren't rearranged it's a much easier surgery, certainly less complex that bypass.

I was a self pay in Louisiana and my cost was $13,600. That included everything. If I have a complication and have to go to hospital to be admitted all I have to pay is $200. I was just in for 3 days for dehydration and its nice to know what would of been a several thousand dollar hospital bill was only $200.

Just found out that my insurance won't cover the sleeve because my BMI isn't high enough. So they're basically telling me I'm fat enough for bypass or the band but not fat enough for the sleeve. What kind of messed up logic is that???

But I digress....

My question is: for those of you who self paid for your sleeve, what was the total cost? Also, are there finance companies available for this sort of thing or did you just go to your local bank?

Thanks in advance!

I was self pay . . . here in San Antonio TX i paid $15,500 and that included everything, surgeon, hospital stay 3 days in a private hospital, all supplies, anesthesia, leak test, labs, 1 year of follow up, etc. . I went through our credit union and got a nice loan for 3%. Good luck

i'm getting an inheiritance next month, and my insurance won't cover it all all. i'm paying 17.5k, i think, but also needed 2 ekgs and a stress test- hope my insurance covers those!:rolleyes: my price includes 2 years of nutrition and excercise mentoring. best of luck to you! oh, btw, i live near seattle, wa.

But I digress....

Thanks in advance!

Dr James Redmann in Covington. LOVE LOVE LOVE him!!! He goes above and beyond what any doctor I've ever met does. And I'm a nurse, so I've been around all kinds. :)

I am also in Louisiana. Would you mind sharing what doctor you are using?

I am in GA and I paid $15,500 and that cost included an insurance policy that would pay in case of complications...good thing because I had bleeding a week later and had to have emergency surgery, 3 nights in ICU and several more days in a regular room. If I had not had the insurance that came with my self-pay package, my bill for the complications would have been about $70,000. It might be a good idea to check and see if your surgeon offers this. The insurance is BLIS and it is specifically for bariatric surgery.