Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Plication Weight Loss Surgery to gastric sleeve weight loss surgery revision

Hello everyone

I had gastric plication about a year ago...and it was a complete failure coz I failed to maintain weight loss then put all the weight on ....my doctor advised me to have CT and then he said that my stomach is bigger than it should be at that stage..I failed to continue lossing weight just two months post surgery.It seems that the doctor didnt tight my stomach enough..Now I went to another surgeon to have a revision surgery from plication to sleeve...I'm the first in my country...I had baruim and the doctor said it can be done...Is anyone thinking about a revision from plication to sleeve ....I'm really so scared..need support

There's a couple of members on here and on obesityhelp.com that are looking at revisions due to the same issue. One lady had to revise due to complications with her plication, but it was a forced revision, she had no other alternative.

Best wishes on your revision. I hope the others chime in soon for you ! ! !

Keep us updated on your progrees! ! !

Hi Sarah, long time no hear. You're brave. Please keep us posted. I stalled the same as you so I'm definitely interested. You may want to post on http://www.sleeveplicationtalk.com/ too as I'm sure they'll want to hear.

My thoughts of revision options were that it might be possible to get the intestinal part of the Duodenal Switch if you meet the criteria (I'm not heavy enough - BMI ~29 at the mo). If you did go that route you'd seriously have to be committed to taking your Vitamins, getting in 100g protein/day and getting regular labs done.

Good luck and ((hugs))! smile.gif

BTW if you hear about StomaphyX and the ROSE or POSE technique don't bother. People only lose about 20lbs and then gain it back when the restriction goes... been there, heading that way.

Hi Sarah,

I have thought about this same thing. I had my plication back July of last year. Actually start out exactly at 233, like you. I have lost a little more than you, 65 lbs. But have seriously thought about revising to a gastric sleeve. Not because of the slow weight loss but because of the not knowing what is going to happen to my health down the line because of having the plication. They don't know the long term results of this surgery and it does concern me. Also, with the gastric sleeve they take out the grehlin. If I could do it over, I would defiitely get the sleeve. So expensive though. I can't justify going to Mex. again and paying more money. I have 18 lbs to go so I am pretty happy. I has been sooooooooooooooo slow since Christmas, I only have lost about 12 lbs since then.

Were you this nervous for your first surgery? What country are you from? You did it the first time and you are ok, right? Why not finish what you started? You will be happy you did. I wish you well.

Julie

Hello everyone

I had gastric plication about a year ago...and it was a complete failure coz I failed to maintain weight loss then put all the weight on ....my doctor advised me to have CT and then he said that my stomach is bigger than it should be at that stage..I failed to continue lossing weight just two months post surgery.It seems that the doctor didnt tight my stomach enough..Now I went to another surgeon to have a revision surgery from plication to sleeve...I'm the first in my country...I had baruim and the doctor said it can be done...Is anyone thinking about a revision from plication to sleeve ....I'm really so scared..need support

Hi Sarah,

I have thought about this same thing. I had my plication back July of last year. Actually start out exactly at 233, like you. I have lost a little more than you, 65 lbs. But have seriously thought about revising to a gastric sleeve. Not because of the slow weight loss but because of the not knowing what is going to happen to my health down the line because of having the plication. They don't know the long term results of this surgery and it does concern me. Also, with the gastric sleeve they take out the grehlin. If I could do it over, I would defiitely get the sleeve. So expensive though. I can't justify going to Mex. again and paying more money. I have 18 lbs to go so I am pretty happy. I has been sooooooooooooooo slow since Christmas, I only have lost about 12 lbs since then.

Were you this nervous for your first surgery? What country are you from? You did it the first time and you are ok, right? Why not finish what you started? You will be happy you did. I wish you well.

Julie

Hi Julie,thanks for posting

I had my surgery a year ago but for free coz it was a clinical trial

I'm from Egypt....so the procedures is not very well known here

I'm now back to the starting point as if I had never done any procedure

I wasn't that nervous before plication because it seemed so save with no risks with no cutting or stappling

But now my case is a little bit different coz the risk of having a leak or bleeding increases(not so sure but I readit in one of the forums)

My surgeon said that it can be done and he found enough space to do the sleeve,he tried to comfort me

but doing another procedure is scary now ...but I can't stay fat anymore

:angry:

Thank u again for your reply...wish you all the best

Sara i'm from Egypt too & i'm desperately trying to find a good reliable skilled SLEEVE surgeon here in Egypt. Ur help will be extremely appreciated.

Thanx :)

Hello everyone I had gastric plication about a year ago...and it was a complete failure coz I failed to maintain weight loss then put all the weight on ....my doctor advised me to have CT and then he said that my stomach is bigger than it should be at that stage..I failed to continue lossing weight just two months post surgery.It seems that the doctor didnt tight my stomach enough..Now I went to another surgeon to have a revision surgery from plication to sleeve...I'm the first in my country...I had baruim and the doctor said it can be done...Is anyone thinking about a revision from plication to sleeve ....I'm really so scared..need support
Hi, just saw your post. I am going in on Jan 5th, 12 to have a revision from plication to sleeve, to be done by Jose Rodriguez. Did you already have yours done and how was it? Are u losing weight now. I am feeling really scared too. Mine was done 14months ago. I am really worried that my stomach tissue has stuck together from the stutures, making it difficult to give a neat VSG. Please let me know how yours went. I know there is a possibility that you might not read this in time before my surgery.

Hi, just saw your post. I am going in on Jan 5th, 12 to have a revision from plication to sleeve, to be done by Jose Rodriguez. Did you already have yours done and how was it? Are u losing weight now. I am feeling really scared too. Mine was done 14months ago. I am really worried that my stomach tissue has stuck together from the stutures, making it difficult to give a neat VSG. Please let me know how yours went. I know there is a possibility that you might not read this in time before my surgery.
Who was the doctor that did the revision?

Who was the doctor that did the revision?

After saying a prayer I made the decision to continue on with my revision since my deposit was made, my flight booked and my mind made up. I headed out one day early before the surgery on January 5th to Juarez Mexico at the Star Medica Hospital to have my revision from Plication to Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. I went alone by the way, crazy thing to do. On my first day I almost wanted to cancel everything because I became scared and depressed. I took my magicjack with me and talk to my family to keep me strong. Now I am so happy I had my surgery. The doctors and staff were amazing. When I woke up from surgery I wasn't even throwing up or feeling horrible pain. There was some pain from the incision and some dizziness, but it was managable. The Plication was a completely different recovery. I vomitted and was so ill after awaken from surgery. I was horribly sick for 2 weeks and was not able to stand on my feet for long. That time my flight back home was like a nightmare in my memory. With the VSG my travel back home last night was okay. I got wheelchair service and the 6hours flight was somewhat tiring but okay. It is now 4days after my surgery and I am so excited to start my second weight loss journey: thanks to Belite weight and Dr. Jose Rodriguez. Not forgetting to thank my weightloss friends for their words of advice and encouragement. God Bless Us All.

After saying a prayer I made the decision to continue on with my revision since my deposit was made, my flight booked and my mind made up. I headed out one day early before the surgery on January 5th to Juarez Mexico at the Star Medica Hospital to have my revision from Plication to Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. I went alone by the way, crazy thing to do. On my first day I almost wanted to cancel everything because I became scared and depressed. I took my magicjack with me and talk to my family to keep me strong. Now I am so happy I had my surgery. The doctors and staff were amazing. When I woke up from surgery I wasn't even throwing up or feeling horrible pain. There was some pain from the incision and some dizziness, but it was managable. The Plication was a completely different recovery. I vomitted and was so ill after awaken from surgery. I was horribly sick for 2 weeks and was not able to stand on my feet for long. That time my flight back home was like a nightmare in my memory. With the VSG my travel back home last night was okay. I got wheelchair service and the 6hours flight was somewhat tiring but okay. It is now 4days after my surgery and I am so excited to start my second weight loss journey: thanks to Belite weight and Dr. Jose Rodriguez. Not forgetting to thank my weightloss friends for their words of advice and encouragement. God Bless Us All.

Hi 4mygirls

I've just read your post I'm so happy for you :purplebananna:

I hope you are doing fine

It's the best decision you have made

By time You are gonna feel better

sleeve recovery is faster than that of plication......you are gonna feel a great difference especially in restriction .

Sometimes you stomach will accept food and sometimes you want be able to eat much.....Congratulation

So glad to hear you are doing well. The sleeve is great and I am so happy for you!