Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome & Sleeve

I had NO CLUE that carbs and pcos were a bad combo.. no one ever told me. I also have hypothyroidism along w pcos.. am I doomed for quick weightloss?

Also can you get an IUD with having pcos? and how soon after surgery? thanks ladies =)

I have pcos and an iud. I have the paraguard iud, I wanted that one because there is no hormones in it. So far it has been fine (installed in 2008) and has caused no other issues or weight gain. I would ask your doctor though. And yes pcos sucks in the carb department and it so does make a difference when you lower your carb intake. Good luck!

Im about 10 months out and I can say that I think this surgery IS the cure for PCOS. Those of you that seem worried about it maybe being harder then normal to lose weight after surgery because of the PCOS I would say dont worry. I have followed my doctors recomended diet (no startches) low carbs (healthy carbs fruits, yogurt, ect.) and I have found that I am loseing weight faster than maybe someone without PCOS. For the first time in 5 years my periods are normal again (i would go 3 months without a period before) I have also noticed a direct association between my weight loss and my cycle. About a week after my period my weight loss stalls, then about a week before my period i drop 3-5 lbs and again during the week of my period I drop another 3-5 lbs. I dont have any structered excercise that I do I try to keep moving but diet is key. Stay away from startches/ bad carbs and the sleeve will be a success! I hope wen i go for my one year checkup in december I will be at my goal weight of 125. Dont let yourself think that because of the PCOS you are just naturally going to lose slower because I believe it to be the exact opposite.

For those of you who noticed a restoration in your cycles -

Are any of you Trying to Conceive? Is there anyone out there with PCOS who has had success conceiving after the surgery? I would love to hear about it - I need some hope!

Thanks.

Hi All. I found out that I had PCOS last year but I know I have had it my whole life. I found out because I was healthy as could be and working out insanely and my weight did not reflect that one ounce (literally). After tests and such it was determined I had it and the Sleeve was suggested by the surgeon. I guess I am nervous because I can restrict calories now, but it does not work... so i am not sure it will work after surgery. Going to surgeon tomorrow but glad that even with PCOS, the Sleeve is successful for you all as well :)

Hello all,

Just a quick update on my progress. I have lost a total of 56.8 lbs. (This includes 15 pre-op lbs using metformin.) I am no longer taking metformin and trying to regulate my blood sugar on my own. I am a little over 3 months post-op.

I have noticed an increase in the amount of egg white cervical mucus each month. Prior to the surgery, I rarely had any even though my periods had become regular. Two months after the surgery I noticed that my cycle shifted by one week making it a 35 day cycle but since there is an increase in EWCM, I am guessing/hoping that my fertility is increasing somewhat.

Initially, I wanted to try to have a baby right away after the surgery but now I think its best to wait the 12- 18 months. I am not eager to put 50 lbs back on and/or have thre restoration of the pain I was experiencing in my back. I also realize that the baby should have the healthiest environment possible. The healthy and stronger I am, the healthier and stronger the baby will be!

Anyone else notice any improvements physically? Don't forget to post when you get your BFP!

:) GOD BLESS!

BABY DUST! :)

My cycle was restored to precisely 28 days. Then I went a few months with 30 day cycles. All in all the surgery has improved my ability to menstruate and ovulate regularly. (An ultrasound in June indicated that I had ovulated on my own.) I am still not pregnant but I am undergoing a frozen embryo transfer. My weight loss was stalled due to a failed IVF attempt in June. ( I wasn't allowed to exercise or reduce my calories any further for 8 weeks which brought my metabolic process to a halt.) Since I didn't get pregnant I definitely regret it. It is painful to see those little embryos and then they don't survive.

Well, that's my update. I know I used to be on this thing like glue for answers and I hope to be able to provide a positive on for you!

Hi all. I'm 31 and suffer from cervical stenosis and pcos that causes my infertility. I have been doing infertility treatments for the past two years that have made me gain massive amounts of weight due to meds/injections and depression from all the failed attempts. I had my fist consult nov 13 and I decided on the sleeve as my procedure. I have to wait 3 months to complete all the insurance pre requisites n will schedule surgery march/April 2013. So excited. My game plan is to start back on birth control this month because it helps decrease the presence of cysts due to pcos and hopefully will help with the weight loss process. I would like to be healthy. I have no goal weight in mind. My goal is whatever I lose in 18 months following the surgery and that is when I will try to have a baby again. I am risking time waiting but I believe if I got pregnent at the weight I am now I would n the baby would suffer. I am willing to take the risk.

Current weight 250

Jeans sz 20

Age 31

I have similar worries about going through this procedure. With my PCOS, what if the weight doesn't come off or only partially comes off? What is this about Hair loss?

Guys I am happy to tell you I had a baby last year! I did lose weight, I gained a lot back during pregnancy but am working on getting back on track. I recently found out I have insulin resistance related to my PCOS but I am working on maintaining that by eating a low carbs diet.

I hope you guys are all doing well!

Guys I am happy to tell you I had a baby last year! I did lose weight, I gained a lot back during pregnancy but am working on getting back on track. I recently found out I have insulin resistance related to my PCOS but I am working on maintaining that by eating a low carbs diet.

I hope you guys are all doing well!

Congrats on the little one! How exciting for you!

I was diagnosed with pcos at age 20. I have gained weight, have ammenorhea, high bp, high cholesterol, did infertility to get my twins. It is the only goal I have not achieved in my life-weight loss. I tried a lap band 5 yrs ago which was a disaster. Tomorrow I get my sleeve and begin a new journey. waited two years for this day.

@@twinmommy2014 just curious as to how your weight loss journey is progressing? I am 7 weeks out tomorrow.

Hi All, i am new to the PCOS forum. I was diagnosed with PCOS 15 years ago. I went thru fertility treatment to have my son. I have pretty severe facial hair and insulin resistance. I was sleeved on Dec 22nd. My weight loss has been slow compared to some others. I have so far lost 15 lbs including preop diet. I am a vegetarian and so is very hard to go too low carb as i have to rely on dairy and legumes for my protien and eat veggies. So I am thinking about 40gms per day......my biggest frustration at this point in addition to the weight is facial hair! Can anyone share if losing weight after sleeve has decreased or stopped facial hair?

Thanks to both of you for sharing your fears and accomplishments. I too have PCOS and Hypothyroidism and I too have been very concerned that I will be the one fat girl that will not loose weight after the surgery. Its encouraging to hear how well someone experiencing some of the same medical issues as me has been able to turn it all around and be healthy and happy! Its also good to hear that I am not the only one having these fears. I am scheduled to get sleeved on 5/4.

I wish all the best to both of you and hope to see more of your progress! Good Luck!

Hi! Just found this post and I too have pcos & hypothyroidism. How much weight have you lost to date?

I too have PCOS & hypothyroidism. I had my surgery almost 3 weeks ago. I lost 17 lbs the first week and then hit a stall for week 2 and half of my 3rd week. I finally lost 4 lbs this past weekend. I was very depressed about the stall, and figured that because of my PCOS I was amongst the few that the surgery doesn't work for. I hope I am wrong. I wish all my PCOS sisters well!

Hi! I also have pcos & hypothyroidism. How much weight have u lost?