Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How my life has changed

What has changed in my life since I have lost 105 pounds? I was thinking as my husband and I are planning a trip to Europe in September 2011 how much my life has changed in the last 2 ½ years. 5 years ago I would not have considered going on this type of long vacation. If you are thinking about having Weight Loss Surgery, these things don’t even hit your radar screen right now, because I had NO clue that so many things would change in my life after losing weight.:rolleyes:

1. I always liked myself; I just hated the body I was stuck in. WOW I had no idea how different I would feel about myself after my weight loss.

2. I know I walked with much more confidence after my weight loss and I look people in the eye.

3. I have no problem standing up for others that I feel are being picked on or bullied, or judged by how they looked—their weight, their clothing, the color of their skin. I hate bullies and adult bullies are 10 times worse. LET’S STOP THEM OK!!!!!!!! :P

4. I wanted to give back something to my community and let others know that they could do what I hadn’t been able to do with JUST diet and exercise. I needed to have WLS so that I had the tool to achieve my goal. My tool is the restriction I have with “sleeve surgery.”

5. I am retired and went back and started teaching at an Alternative High School. So many of my students were from dysfunctional homes. I know without a doubt I have made a difference in their lives (they certainly have changed mine.) I am giving 2 of them scholarships to college. Maybe more of us can give something back, big or small. It all makes a difference. Your time helping kids really can make a difference.

6. I am willing to try to educate others about what Weight Loss Surgery really is.

7. I am here to support and encourage others on their WLS journey and I thought that would be a short term thing…now I know I will always be willing to help them in the years ahead. Pay it forward; you may change someone’s life by helping them with words and encouragement.

8. Life is very short, none of us know how long we will be here, and the time is NOW to have your weight loss surgery. This has to be ALL about you and NO one else in your life. It is nice if your family supports you but don’t count on it. And don’t let them discourage you.

9. I get up every morning feeling 20 years younger.

10. I know without a doubt that I will ALWAYS maintain my weight loss. Something I was never able to do before in my life.

11. Eating healthy is really fun. You can cook yummy healthy food that tastes great.

12. Exercise is something that I have always hated, now I want to exercise it actually feels good.

13. I have become a much better cook than I ever was before.:D

The standard things that I am enjoying and they are all the things that you are thinking about if you are about to have WLS or have already had it:

1. Feeling and looking better.

2. Better health and I got off a lot of medications that you I taking.

3. New clothes, shoes, and shopping in places that I never could shop at before

4. Being comfortable and being able to move without my entire body hurting.

5. Wondering if you are the “one” person that WLS will not work on? I promise you it will work for you.

6. Having people notice that I have lost a ton of weight and being able to tell them how I did it.

7. Having someone call me SKINNY—what a GRAND feeling that was.

8. Going on vacations and walking every place I wanted to without having to stop and rest.

9. Giving away all my “fat people” clothes to a shelter where I know they will be need and use.

10. Getting hugs!:kiss:

Please consider how YOUR life can or will change if you have WLS. When I was considering this, I want the best doctor I could find who had done numerous “Sleeves” surgeries with great success and after all my research I knew it was Dr. Aceves. If you are going to do this WHY not have the best there is?

Suzanne

Sleeved by Dr. Aceves Oct 21, 2011

Starting Weight 225 lbs,

Goal Weight 125 lbs

Weight now 120 lbs

What has changed in my life since I have lost 105 pounds? I was thinking as my husband and I are planning a trip to Europe in September 2011 how much my life has changed in the last 2 ½ years. 5 years ago I would not have considered going on this type of long vacation. If you are thinking about having Weight Loss Surgery, these things don’t even hit your radar screen right now, because I had NO clue that so many things would change in my life after losing weight.:rolleyes:

1. I always liked myself; I just hated the body I was stuck in. WOW I had no idea how different I would feel about myself after my weight loss.

2. I know I walked with much more confidence after my weight loss and I look people in the eye.

3. I have no problem standing up for others that I feel are being picked on or bullied, or judged by how they looked—their weight, their clothing, the color of their skin. I hate bullies and adult bullies are 10 times worse. LET’S STOP THEM OK!!!!!!!! :P

4. I wanted to give back something to my community and let others know that they could do what I hadn’t been able to do with JUST diet and exercise. I needed to have WLS so that I had the tool to achieve my goal. My tool is the restriction I have with “sleeve surgery.”

5. I am retired and went back and started teaching at an Alternative High School. So many of my students were from dysfunctional homes. I know without a doubt I have made a difference in their lives (they certainly have changed mine.) I am giving 2 of them scholarships to college. Maybe more of us can give something back, big or small. It all makes a difference. Your time helping kids really can make a difference.

6. I am willing to try to educate others about what Weight Loss Surgery really is.

7. I am here to support and encourage others on their WLS journey and I thought that would be a short term thing…now I know I will always be willing to help them in the years ahead. Pay it forward; you may change someone’s life by helping them with words and encouragement.

8. Life is very short, none of us know how long we will be here, and the time is NOW to have your weight loss surgery. This has to be ALL about you and NO one else in your life. It is nice if your family supports you but don’t count on it. And don’t let them discourage you.

9. I get up every morning feeling 20 years younger.

10. I know without a doubt that I will ALWAYS maintain my weight loss. Something I was never able to do before in my life.

11. Eating healthy is really fun. You can cook yummy healthy food that tastes great.

12. Exercise is something that I have always hated, now I want to exercise it actually feels good.

13. I have become a much better cook than I ever was before.:D

The standard things that I am enjoying and they are all the things that you are thinking about if you are about to have WLS or have already had it:

1. Feeling and looking better.

2. Better health and I got off a lot of medications that you I taking.

3. New clothes, shoes, and shopping in places that I never could shop at before

4. Being comfortable and being able to move without my entire body hurting.

5. Wondering if you are the “one” person that WLS will not work on? I promise you it will work for you.

6. Having people notice that I have lost a ton of weight and being able to tell them how I did it.

7. Having someone call me SKINNY—what a GRAND feeling that was.

8. Going on vacations and walking every place I wanted to without having to stop and rest.

9. Giving away all my “fat people” clothes to a shelter where I know they will be need and use.

10. Getting hugs!:kiss:

Please consider how YOUR life can or will change if you have WLS. When I was considering this, I want the best doctor I could find who had done numerous “Sleeves” surgeries with great success and after all my research I knew it was Dr. Aceves. If you are going to do this WHY not have the best there is?

Suzanne

Sleeved by Dr. Aceves Oct 21, 2011

Starting Weight 225 lbs,

Goal Weight 125 lbs

Weight now 120 lbs

Wow! Thanks for being such an inspiration both in weight loss and as a person. I completely agree with you that there is nothing worse than an adult bully. I have nothing but the greatest admiration for teachers especially the passionate ones which it sounds like you aresmile.gif.

Wow! Thanks for being such an inspiration both in weight loss and as a person. I completely agree with you that there is nothing worse than an adult bully. I have nothing but the greatest admiration for teachers especially the passionate ones which it sounds like you aresmile.gif.

Hi,

Gee thanks, I am a regular person just like the rest of you. I just say how I feel. I promise you I get sooooooooo much back from teaching these students. I tell them I look forward to the days when I get to come and be around them. They are ALL good kids who couldn't make it in regular High School and this seems to be their answer--they are successful here. I have had the privilege of teaching them First Aid, CPR something they many need in life or for a job.

And YES I hate with a passion Adult Bullies, and every time we do NOTHING about it to stop them we are giving them permission to continue it.

Hugs, and thanks for you nice comments.

Can I ask how u made the decision to have your surgery done by Dr. Aceves? I am hearing about a lot of people having surgery done by him but he is quite a bit more expensive than everyone else. If there is a difference I am willing to pay more but wondering if and why?

thanks

Hi,

I am glad that what I said helped you. I will make sure I vote for you. I always want people to be able to have this surgery and if you can WIN it, what a great things.

Hugs,

Suzanne

WOW. That was relly positive and inspiring. Thank you for posting that. I can't wait to feel that way.

Meeting with my potential surgeon for the first time Thurs.

If I am chosen, I will win a FREE gastric sleeve and have surgery early June.

Vote for me starting May 12st through June 1st.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEBQAhVj4Q0

drdkim.net (free weight loss surgery give away)

Vicki

Dallas, TX

Can I ask how u made the decision to have your surgery done by Dr. Aceves? I am hearing about a lot of people having surgery done by him but he is quite a bit more expensive than everyone else. If there is a difference I am willing to pay more but wondering if and why?

thanks

Hi,

Sure, I worked with a nurse who during our time off in the summer had gone to Dr. Aceves and I noticed when she came back to work( I worked for a school district--we had the summers off) she had lost a lot of weight. I trusted her judgment, since I knew what a GREAT nurse she is. She told me where she went and how safe and clean the entire hospital was--what a better person than a nurse to know these things. She said she checked him out every which way. His hospital has less of an infection rate than any US hospital. I thought about it for about 3 months and then I started asking her all kinds of questions. She made me do some research, and EVERY time I did anything his name was always at the top of the list!. I finally told my husband this is what I wanted to do and he said go for it.

First of all you want there very best there is. This is NOT a time to bargain shop for a price when it comes to surgery and your doctor. What you get when you have him do your surgery, is a doctor who has done more sleeve surgeries without any problems over 1000 and only one leak and it was not his fault) compared to other doctors. He checks your new stomach out 2 times to make sure you are ok before you go home--not all doctors do that. You are paying for his excellent skills, his staffs excellent skills, and you are in a HOSPITAL. So many of these doctors are cutting their prices and costs because they do the surgery in a CLINIC NOT A HOSPITAL--Never have this done in a clinic. They then send you to a hotel to recover and someone comes by once a day to check on you--NOT GOOD AT ALL.

I think when it comes to your health you need the very best you can have. I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Aceves and his staff. You will never find a more caring and kind man than he is. He will spend hours with you answering all your questions the day before your surgery. You will NEVER feel like he is in a hurry.

If you want more information please contact me, and I would be happy to talk with you on the phone. He really is the best you could ask for. It is NOT a time to compare prices. You deserve to have the very best you can have when it comes to your health and the rest of your life and I would go back to Dr. Aceves in a heartbeat for anything I needed help with.

Hugs,

Suzanne

I second the comments about Dr Aceves. I was a lap-band revision and wanted the very best care because of possible complications. I paid more because I didn't want to risk it. You have your surgery and your recovery in a real hospital with a real trauma surgeon and emergency room. Besides the hospital being clean, I was also incredibly relaxed at the hospital. They go out of their way to make you comfortable. They tailor your pain medication to your situation (nauseau issues, any other issues). The doctor and anesthesiologist will sit with you for an hour before surgery talking about your prior surgeries, experiences with anesthesia, etc. I was particularly happy with the leak tests. They do the blue die test and then a barium swallow with an x-ray on the day before you leave. He makes 100% sure there is no physical leak in the sleeve before you walk out the door. You get copies of all labs, xrays, surgical report to take back to your doctor.

I think the additional cost is related to the in-hospital time. Also, Mexicali is a nice city and prices may be higher there in general compared to TJ. I live about 20 minutes from TJ and I can say that Mexicali is so much more relaxed. Less people - not as crowded.

Good luck with your decision. There are other MX doctors that other people have very good experiences with.

Lara

I second the comments about Dr Aceves. I was a lap-band revision and wanted the very best care because of possible complications. I paid more because I didn't want to risk it. You have your surgery and your recovery in a real hospital with a real trauma surgeon and emergency room. Besides the hospital being clean, I was also incredibly relaxed at the hospital. They go out of their way to make you comfortable. They tailor your pain medication to your situation (nauseau issues, any other issues). The doctor and anesthesiologist will sit with you for an hour before surgery talking about your prior surgeries, experiences with anesthesia, etc. I was particularly happy with the leak tests. They do the blue die test and then a barium swallow with an x-ray on the day before you leave. He makes 100% sure there is no physical leak in the sleeve before you walk out the door. You get copies of all labs, xrays, surgical report to take back to your doctor.

I think the additional cost is related to the in-hospital time. Also, Mexicali is a nice city and prices may be higher there in general compared to TJ. I live about 20 minutes from TJ and I can say that Mexicali is so much more relaxed. Less people - not as crowded.

Good luck with your decision. There are other MX doctors that other people have very good experiences with.

Lara

Hi Lara,

Thanks for adding what you said. We all know what a quality Hospital it is and then to add the team of doctors and nurses and everyone there, just makes it 100% better. Mexicali, is a very safe boarder to cross too. And you have a drive who is ver experienced getting you to the hospital and back to your plane in San Diego. It is tops in my book!.

Hugs, and congratulations on your new surgery.

Also a band to sleeve revision by Dr Aceves. Self paid for the band in Florida and the sleeve in Mexico. Doing all of my research he was the most experienced revision surgeon other than the one I also really liked in San Fran.

Since I was self pay Nina was able to schedule within 10 days. Dr Aceves and Dr Campos are worth whatever they charge. My husband went with me and was really surprised at how great everyone was, how clean it was and how the Drs were so informative.

Congratulations on your new life and hopefully I will be able to do as well as you have.

NOTE: I have not been paid for my review of Dr Aceves! It is just my experience.

Also a band to sleeve revision by Dr Aceves. Self paid for the band in Florida and the sleeve in Mexico. Doing all of my research he was the most experienced revision surgeon other than the one I also really liked in San Fran.

Since I was self pay Nina was able to schedule within 10 days. Dr Aceves and Dr Campos are worth whatever they charge. My husband went with me and was really surprised at how great everyone was, how clean it was and how the Drs were so informative.

Congratulations on your new life and hopefully I will be able to do as well as you have.

NOTE: I have not been paid for my review of Dr Aceves! It is just my experience.

Thanks,

You ae going to love your new sleeve and it will allow you to accomplish everything you ever wanted. You made any excellent choice. And I will agree 100% with you about Dr. Aceves. It is the best place to have this surgery.

Hugs,