Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hungry, or not...after surgery

So I am confused...I read here and there that after surgery some are hungry and some are not. Then a few weeks later some of the hungry are no longer hungry. Do some people never lose their hunger? Is there a normal progression after surgery or is everyone different? What about a few years out? I'm getting sleeved in 11 days and I'm just curious...thanks!

My surgery was three months ago and I have not been hungry since. I think you will find, as you suspect, a range of answers. It appears that for some removal of the stomach (and ghrelin-producing cells) takes away hunger immediately after surgery and for others, the levels in the body decrease more slowly. There are some who believe that ghrelin, which is produced in other parts of the body besides the stomach, eventually is produced in sufficient quantities to cause hunger once again.

Appetite and hunger are poorly understood physiologically; add in the psychological component and you have a multi-faceted conundrum.

I'm 4 days post-op and there is a feeling like hunger, but it's just my stomach telling me "hey, I'm empty... give me something to gurgle"... so i down 1 small shot glass of Water or G2 and i'm full.. for the next 30 mins or so....

But head hunger.. yep it is still there..

I'm over 22 months out, and never experience physical hunger. I had this funky, gnawing, twinge after eating around 6-7 weeks, talked to some other vets, and they said it could be acid causing false hunger. Went on Prilosec 20mg once daily, and have never felt it again. I take Nexium now, and not being hungry is the biggest reason I stay on it.

Even with the pregnancy, I'm not ever, I mean ever physically hungry. That does not change my want to eat, or my appetite. I still love food, and the sleeve makes the "decision-making" process on what goes in my mouth so much easier.

I think like Foxbins said, you will find everyone is different. I have no hunger but notice more acid induced grumbling but like Tiffykins said, take my meds and feel fine. It will all depend on you and how you are as a eater. Emotional eaters or those addicted to food will of course have a harder time mentally than those that aren't. I myself have no problem watching someone eat or smelling food. But seeing the new Hershey's commercial of the minis that look like M&M's really messes with me lol.

I think the same way we were determined to have this surgery is the same way we will and do overcome whatever issue we have with it. But I do not think it is hard as the 100's of diets I have been on. The pre-op diet I placed myself on really helped prepare me for what was to come. Being a week and a half out is nothing I know but in that time I have learned my sleeve is now in charge no matter what my eyes or mind wants and that is exactly what I need.

No physical hunger at all at almost 6 weeks out, but the head hunger has been a problem for a while now. Just want me a big 'ol bite of hubby's cheeseburger when I smell it. Thankfully he usually eats well and only occasionally splurges on fast food. That's the hardest part for me. Physically, I am full after 2 bites of something substantial, mentally though, I could eat that cheeseburger and the fries, too. And the shake, toobiggrin.gif

No physical hunger at all at almost 6 weeks out, but the head hunger has been a problem for a while now. Just want me a big 'ol bite of hubby's cheeseburger when I smell it. Thankfully he usually eats well and only occasionally splurges on fast food. That's the hardest part for me. Physically, I am full after 2 bites of something substantial, mentally though, I could eat that cheeseburger and the fries, too. And the shake, toobiggrin.gif

Talking about fighting temptation...my little girl came home yesterday with a Wendy's frosty saying it was my reward for doing so good and boy did I want to taste it along with whatever she had in the bag for herself :P but instead I said thanks but I couldn't. The soft cals will be what does me in I know so I am staying away from all dairy including yogurt. I instead keep sf Jello and popsicles on hand to fill my sweet tooth as needed.

It took me 3 1/2 months to lose my hunger. And breaking bad habits I'm still working on. I have to remind myself just because its 1:00 doesn't always mean I have to eat.

Love, love, love the honesty and information I get on this group!! You all have me so stinkin' excited to get started! It's amazing how different it feels to have HOPE that this time, it'll WORK! :P

It works differently for everyone it seems. There was a vocal group that posted in the past - you can search for them using the word HUNGRY. I haven't seen them for a while.

I am 4+ months out and I too am not hungry any more and very rarely really "crave" anything. I too get the acid churning which makes me think I am hungry. I take Rx omeprazole (Prilosec) and it helps. I find I have to nibble on a few crackers sometimes to ease the acid. If I do get a craving and go ahead and eat it I am usually disappointed with whatever it is I am wanting. I was alone on Saturday and noticed my wife had one last 100 calorie pack of gold fish crackers, man I used to love those things. I succumbed to temptation and grabbed it. Now I am still eating less than 1000 calories a day and exercising to boot too, 100 calories of crackers won't really effect me at all so I am not really cheating. I too a few bites and then went bleh! They tasted like crap. The dogs ate the rest. I just have no stomach for them (pun intended). Now why my tastes are so drastically altered is a mystery. I was a real sweets freak, never pass up a pie or cake. Sugars really turn me off now.

Thats what I love about the sleeve, it will work as long as we follow our guidelines. I'm a slower loser but its okay, I'm enjoying every pound thats coming off. Good Luck!

Love, love, love the honesty and information I get on this group!! You all have me so stinkin' excited to get started! It's amazing how different it feels to have HOPE that this time, it'll WORK! :P

I do get hungry, really hungry not head hungry. And it's not acid -- I do take a PPI as well and it is working fine. I also don't have any problems with smells or taste changes. Things still taste really good to me. I sometimes wish this was not the case, but this is the sleeve I ended up with. I still can't eat too much of things, so the restriction works just fine. I am hungrier some days than others, so it may be fading.

I am so worried about this!! This was the main reason I chose this surgery. I AM FREAKIN STARVING ALL OF THE TIME!!! I hope so badly that when I do have my new tummy, May 9th, I will stop being so hungry.

I take Nexium and have for years, so I really do not think it is acid, it is not head hunger, my stomach GROWLS AND GROWLS all damn day long! I can eat and then 2 hours later, I am hungry again!

I seriously could eat all day!!! I hope this will "fix" me.

Kelly :angry:

And I was not hungry all the time pre-op. I would get hungry and want a good meal, but after I ate I would get full and be done. I get hungry more often now -- but that makes sense to me, as I can only hold a small amount of food at a time. I would imagine I AM hungry every 2-3 hours. It doesn't suck that bad, but I'm not losing very fast either.

I am 3 weeks out from surgery, and I am not hungry at all. I am struggling to get the calories in. I do OCC get head hunger, but so far have been able to ignore it.