Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Became A Drunk After My Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Hi, Been totally alcohol free since Feb.5 2013. Every so often I think of what it would be like to have some wine. But you won't believe this I'm actually allergic to wine. No wonder I was feeling so crappy it seemed like my asthma would be constantly rearing it's head when I drank. Well found out I'm allergic to salicylates that are in foods. Wine, pickled items, most fruits, preserved meats ect. are all culprits. Since I'm limiting those foods my asthma is under control. So another good reason not to drink. Vodka and Gin have no salicylates but I'm not into hard stuff. Hope you all are doing good. Linda

Exercise is a HUGE anxiety and depression reliever. Way better than any meds..

Um perhaps for some. But do not judge those of us with suicidal ideation and schizophrenic tendancies. Psych disease is managed not cured.

I need to stop drinking its not helping my weightloss issue at all ????and I get drunk fast with the sleeve. ????

Hi Everyone,

I am experiencing crossover addiction from food to alcohol and have even used some drugs over the past month. It is not good. Super glad I read this thread. Makes a huge difference knowing I'm not alone and that others have moved through it successfully.

I'm glad to see this post as am am 1.5 years out and having a similar problem. Easier to get drunk on just a few drinks and then my ability to stop when I have had enough is just gone. Am starting 2015 with a goal to stop and get back on the weight loss plan. 25lbs to go

Did you all continue to lose weight while drinking? I'm 4 months post op and have had a few good nights of drinking over the holidays. I too have quit smoking 5 months now. I'm struggling with quitting my Captain Morgans......

I think with any addiction you need to look at why you're doing it. What is it that you are trying to avoid? Cope with? A teacher had a HALT sign (hungry? Angry? Lonely? Tired?) if any of these things you need to stop & evaluate how to remedy the situation effectively. For me it's loneliness & a general unhappily with life. I was drinking 4 doubles a day. I'm down to 0-2. I think post sleeve I'm More social & have more opportunities to drink & also I like losing myself because it's easier to get drunk quick&easily. It stopped my wt loss& regained 7lb from goal. I do think finding something to be proud of or occupied with (exercise, adopting a dog, writing, etc) is a good addition to the life of an addict.

Very brave of you to post this. I'm actually dealing with an alcohol issue as well now. I've lost 180 lbs and all my life have been almost debilitatingly shy in social situations. Now I'm in this new body and getting attention from friends, co-workers and interested men. I started drinking to help with my inhibitions, but I like it way too much and have come to rely on it. I'm thin, but this is not good for my health. I wish you the best of luck in your recovery, and thank you again for posting .

I am currently going through this... I don't want to quit though? I feel happy and self esteem is high when I am intoxicated :( I look frwd to the weekends to get drunk, sloppy snooki drunk but not sexually wild, just dance wild and fun! It's been 2 weeks since I had my last drink, only because my work schedule, I am mandatory to work more hours and every other weekend now. So maybe it is a good thing but this weekend I am off and can not wait to drink the night away! I feel so anxious for this weekend!

I am so depressed, I take zoloft and xanax to help me.. but it isn't working. I can totally feel your pain.

This is SOO me. Especially the self esteem thing.