Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to Sleeve Revision

:rolleyes: Hello! I am a newbie to vertical sleeve talk. I was banded in August 2009. I lost 76 pounds and have been having problems with my band. I can't eat healty food, can never get fills right, food is always stuck and I very bad heart burn daily and at night it is worst. I and waiting now for insurance approval for me to have the sleeve. I have been researching the sleeve and have heard nothing but great things. I feel that I can get the rest of my weight off with the sleeve and enjoy life with it.

I really need feedback on how the revision was.

Thanks,

Hi nAN,

Welcome to VST :) My revision was 90 minutes, though I didn't have any band relating issues either so I was lucky and it helped. I did have nausea after for a few days but subsided quickly (TG because I hate nausea). The first month is tough, not gonna go lightly here BUT that one month of struggles is so worth it now. I love my sleeve SO MUCH and it truly has saved my life.

Are there any specific questions you might have? There's a ton of information!!!

Good luck on your journey! You will get to goal no doubt about that.

First of all welcome! I love the sleeve compared to the band. With my revision, I felt the pain was about the same as when I first had lapband surgery. I was sore all over my stomach and my mouth was dry. I was in major pain right when I woke up. I didn't get the pain pump, so I had to cry for meds. Once I got the medicine though, all was well. I slept most of the first day and night. I was given antinausea meds through my IV, so I never had to throw up or felt like I had to. The nurses were good about keeping my pain meds up and I walked A LOT, so that helped. The only thing I hated was the drain. For some reason, it felt weird and I hated having something hanging from my stomach. I was so thankful when they pulled it out. (I would deal with it again for the sleeve though.) The first days are hard with only having liquids. To this day, I cannot stand Jello because I had so much of it post-op. LOL The results of the sleeve have been worth any pain from surgery or difficult days I had with the liquid diet. I am so happy. I have restriction! I can eat healthy foods and I don't have to worry about slimming food up. Good luck with your revision! I am excited for you.:D

It's a piece of cake. Living with the sleeve is effortless. I can eat anything I want. ANYTHING! Nothing gets stuck and life is good :rolleyes:

Sounds like you have a very familiar lap-band story. I am 3.5 weeks out from my revision. I would say that this recovery has been a little bit harder becuase the restriction is really intense right away - I remember with my band, I could eat as much as I could without it about 2 weeks after my surgery. I am happy that my port pain is gone, I can eat chicken (miracle), and I can lay on my side again without pain.

The first 2 weeks are really tough. The third week I started to come alive. At this point, I am still on mushies, but I feel pretty good. I am not as fatigued as I was a week or so ago. A lot of people compare the first couple of weeks to the blah pregnancy feeling, when things smell weird and food isn't very appealing.

I have a very long description of my experience at the hospital with Dr Aceves - check out my profile if you want to read it.

I am thrilled to have that lap-band out!!! So far I am recovering well and feeling good.

Good luck on your decision,

Lara

I have had no success with the band. It slipped and I had another surgery and now it just feels horrible. I have not lost any weight. I wonder if they take out the port also when they do the revision. I ask because when I got my second surgery the doctor was very careful NOT to mess with the port because of the "scar tissue" that was there and it would be very painful. I'm so discouraged and so shameful that it hasn't worked for me. I'm also getting so old - 57. Anyway, brand new here so any advice is welcome. thanks!

Hi nAN,

Welcome to VST :) My revision was 90 minutes, though I didn't have any band relating issues either so I was lucky and it helped. I did have nausea after for a few days but subsided quickly (TG because I hate nausea). The first month is tough, not gonna go lightly here BUT that one month of struggles is so worth it now. I love my sleeve SO MUCH and it truly has saved my life.

Are there any specific questions you might have? There's a ton of information!!!

Good luck on your journey! You will get to goal no doubt about that.