Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
Weight gain after surgery?

Views
Started by amw, Mar 24, 2011 4:25 AM
11 replies to this topic
11 replies to this topic

amw

Advanced Member

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
Posted March 24, 2011 - 4:25 AM

Well, I made the mistake of getting on the scale this morning. In spite of eating barely nothing since Saturday because I just don't feel like it, I've actually gained about nine pounds. Talk about discouraging. I hope it's just the fluids they pumped into me, but still. Not the outcome I was hoping for.

Amy

Dansha

SLEEVE LOVER

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • My Blogs
Posted March 24, 2011 - 4:47 AM

Yes,it is very common to gain weight from the fluids after surgery. Don't trip the weight will soon be falling off of you.

Good luck!!!

Deb B)

Billy363627

Aspiring Evangelist

• Height: 5 feet 11 inches
  • Current Weight: 378 lbs
  • BMI: 52.7
Posted March 24, 2011 - 5:00 AM

yep a lot of people tend to add a couple of pounds of liquids after surgery.. Don't freak out they will come off quickly..

lilmissbigmouth

Novice

Posted March 24, 2011 - 6:36 AM

I was shocked to learn that I had gained 4 lbs post-op. The nurses told me this is normal due to the fluids from the ivs. They said many RNY patients gain 20 lbs. It does come off fast because it is fluid related.

genepha

Junior Guru

• Height: 5 feet 7 inches
  • Starting Weight: 265 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 58 lbs
  • Current Weight: 207 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 175 lbs
  • BMI: 32.4
  • My Blogs
Posted March 24, 2011 - 10:05 PM

Yup I gained weight too after surgery. Very frustrating but it did come off very quickly.
Good luck and KUP!

oliviam

Posted March 25, 2011 - 10:40 AM

I avoided weighing myself for 10 days after surgery because I was terrified of being discouraged. Just don't weigh in for a while, then you can be pleasantly surprised when you do weigh in! :)

feedyoureye

BariatricPal Host

• Surgeon: Mohamed Ali
  • Surgery Date: Jan 2011
  • Height: 5 feet 9 inches
  • Weight Lost: 89 lbs
  • BMI: 25.1
  • My Blogs
Posted March 25, 2011 - 11:16 AM

Work at drinking your water, it will help the retained water to come off quicker.

TEXAS DIVA

Posted March 30, 2011 - 3:22 PM

Aww, Im so sorry to hear this.. just reading your post mad me sad too..I know It would be very discouraging to gain after all you have went thru. But, it makes sense about the fluids from the IV.. Hang in there.. A change will come Im sure.. you will be losing in no time

hmarko

Bariatric Guru

• Surgeon: Christine Ren-fielding
  • Surgery Date: Sep 2009
Posted April 14, 2011 - 12:09 AM

yes this just happened to me - so how are you doing now - how do you like the plication? was this your first WLS? I just had a lap band revision and they did the plication as well. I am up 9 lbs and in fact i had to call them cuz they state that as a 'call your dr if....' but they DID discharge me 7 lbs heavier! Going to see my GP tomorrow how was your recovery?

Well, I made the mistake of getting on the scale this morning. In spite of eating barely nothing since Saturday because I just don't feel like it, I've actually gained about nine pounds. Talk about discouraging. I hope it's just the fluids they pumped into me, but still. Not the outcome I was hoping for.

Amy

feedyoureye

BariatricPal Host

• Surgeon: Mohamed Ali
  • Surgery Date: Jan 2011
  • Height: 5 feet 9 inches
  • Weight Lost: 89 lbs
  • BMI: 25.1
  • My Blogs
Posted April 14, 2011 - 8:42 AM

yes this just happened to me - so how are you doing now - how do you like the plication? was this your first WLS? I just had a lap band revision and they did the plication as well. I am up 9 lbs and in fact i had to call them cuz they state that as a 'call your dr if....' but they DID discharge me 7 lbs heavier! Going to see my GP tomorrow how was your recovery?

Everyone with an IV gained weight at the surgery. I gained 10, some gain 20! Its pretty normal, and will come off soon as water weight. You can find lots of stories if you search here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Trending Topics