Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight gain after surgery?

Well, I made the mistake of getting on the scale this morning. In spite of eating barely nothing since Saturday because I just don't feel like it, I've actually gained about nine pounds. Talk about discouraging. I hope it's just the fluids they pumped into me, but still. Not the outcome I was hoping for.

Amy

Yes,it is very common to gain weight from the fluids after surgery. Don't trip the weight will soon be falling off of you.

Good luck!!!

Deb B)

yep a lot of people tend to add a couple of pounds of liquids after surgery.. Don't freak out they will come off quickly..

I was shocked to learn that I had gained 4 lbs post-op. The nurses told me this is normal due to the fluids from the ivs. They said many RNY patients gain 20 lbs. It does come off fast because it is Fluid related.

Yup I gained weight too after surgery. Very frustrating but it did come off very quickly.

Good luck and KUP!

I avoided weighing myself for 10 days after surgery because I was terrified of being discouraged. Just don't weigh in for a while, then you can be pleasantly surprised when you do weigh in! :)

Work at drinking your Water, it will help the retained water to come off quicker.

Aww, Im so sorry to hear this.. just reading your post mad me sad too..I know It would be very discouraging to gain after all you have went thru. But, it makes sense about the fluids from the IV.. Hang in there.. A change will come Im sure.. you will be losing in no time

yes this just happened to me - so how are you doing now - how do you like the plication? was this your first WLS? I just had a lap band revision and they did the plication as well. I am up 9 lbs and in fact i had to call them cuz they state that as a 'call your dr if....' but they DID discharge me 7 lbs heavier! Going to see my GP tomorrow how was your recovery?

Well, I made the mistake of getting on the scale this morning. In spite of eating barely nothing since Saturday because I just don't feel like it, I've actually gained about nine pounds. Talk about discouraging. I hope it's just the fluids they pumped into me, but still. Not the outcome I was hoping for.

Amy

yes this just happened to me - so how are you doing now - how do you like the plication? was this your first WLS? I just had a lap band revision and they did the plication as well. I am up 9 lbs and in fact i had to call them cuz they state that as a 'call your dr if....' but they DID discharge me 7 lbs heavier! Going to see my GP tomorrow how was your recovery?

Everyone with an IV gained weight at the surgery. I gained 10, some gain 20! Its pretty normal, and will come off soon as Water weight. You can find lots of stories if you search here.

my weight loss/gain chart...I do everything right and exercise 4-5 times a week. Stalls are normal for many people and we lose weight anyway.

post-3718-13813656474232_thumb.jpg

and a close up of after surgery with stalls...

post-3718-13813656474509_thumb.jpg