Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Bodybuilding after sleeve

Views
Started by OilSooner, Feb 23, 2011 10:21 AM
16 replies to this topic
16 replies to this topic

OilSooner

Expert Member

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Height: 5 feet 9 inches
  • Starting Weight: 285 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 101 lbs
  • Current Weight: 184 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 175 lbs
  • BMI: 27.2
Posted February 23, 2011 - 10:21 AM

How would that work? Can you build muscle after the sleeve? I mean, isnt it impossible to gain muscle at a caloric deficit?

I'd rather not be "skinny" (though would MUCH prefer skinny over fat), but I truely like lifting, and would like to gain some muscle after I get sleeved. I'm not looking to look like the guys on the cover of bodybuilder mags, but I would like to have some mass and be somewhat cut.

Is this possible? Or is being fat, then sleeved, then muscular not in the cards?

TIA

TijuanaPlication

Aspiring Evangelist

Posted February 23, 2011 - 12:27 PM

I can't see why it'd be a problem - I guess it depends how much you're able to eat. I'd check with the doc when you can start doing weights, but I wouldn't have wanted to do anything too strenuous for the first 6 weeks after my surgery. People report being able to eat a fair bit more after 6 months, so worst case I'm sure you'd be able to by then.

Paul11011

Guru in Training

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
  • Surgery Date: Jan 2011
  • Height: 5 feet 10 inches
  • Starting Weight: 496 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 301 lbs
  • Current Weight: 195 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 195 lbs
  • BMI: 28
  • My Blogs
Posted February 23, 2011 - 12:50 PM

Wow talk about perfect timing. I met with my excercise physiologist today and we discussed this very topic. The conclusion: no reason it can't be done. It will involve an extra effort to pay attention to calories burned versus those taken in and an increase in protein, but should be very managable. Let's hit the weights!

OilSooner

Expert Member

• Height: 5 feet 9 inches
  • Starting Weight: 285 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 101 lbs
  • Current Weight: 184 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 175 lbs
  • BMI: 27.2
Posted February 23, 2011 - 1:08 PM

Wow talk about perfect timing. I met with my excercise physiologist today and we discussed this very topic. The conclusion: no reason it can't be done. It will involve an extra effort to pay attention to calories burned versus those taken in and an increase in protein, but should be very managable. Let's hit the weights!

Great news, Paul!

I guess ones main colaroic intake would have to revolve around protien, but fortunately, I love protien shakes and bars (not sure why so many dont like them here, but I really like them). Also, if one could maintain most of what is under the flab, I am sure it wouuld provide a great base to work off of. Surely it takes more muscle to tote this body around than is required to tote a smaller one. There should be some decent sized muscles under there already, once the fat around them is chipped away.

Paul11011

Guru in Training

• My Blogs
Posted February 23, 2011 - 1:22 PM

Great news, Paul!

I guess ones main colaroic intake would have to revolve around protien, but fortunately, I love protien shakes and bars (not sure why so many dont like them here, but I really like them). Also, if one could maintain most of what is under the flab, I am sure it wouuld provide a great base to work off of. Surely it takes more muscle to tote this body around than is required to tote a smaller one. There should be some decent sized muscles under there already, once the fat around them is chipped away.

LOL...yep, you just summarized another part of my conversation with him. A good by product of being overweight (like that is posssible) is that it does build muscle and bone density.

thinoneday

Sleeve Believer

Posted February 23, 2011 - 1:46 PM

Hey all, just an FYI here regarding this bodybuilding thing. . I have lost 150 lbs . . I used to bodybuild years ago and with the weight loss now I still have definition and tone under that loose skin, (still can puff out the lats pretty good and move the pec's :lol: ) actually was approached by a bodybuilding trainer at Golds to work with him to represent Gold's gym. . . wow that was a shocker. . never thought I still had it in me. . . HOWEVER, 5-6 hours a day workout sessions, plus working full time and being a wife (hubbie thinks it would be cool! of course he would :P ) . . . don't know about that one though. . . was nice to be approached, Good ego booster! but if you have the time, go for it, every bit counts!!! Good luck

snowfie9

Guru in Training

Posted March 13, 2011 - 4:38 PM

I don't see why not. serious Body builders regularly undergo crash diets to reduce their total body fat % for competitions without managing to lose muscle mass.

Not that I"d recommend that, it's not healthy. Still, I'm sure it's possible.

River King

Novice

Posted March 13, 2011 - 8:07 PM

I was a former college football player, and I got sleeved after a player I know had bypass two years ago. He's in the best physical shape of his life, and hits the gym all the time. We were the same weight at surgery time so I'm hoping for the same results. I'm still two weeks out from being able to hit a weight room again.

We could both dunk at 300 lbs (at 18 and 20 years old), and now he's 30 and 195 and not only can he dunk again, he can show up 18-19 year olds with his ability to jump.

In short..., you can have the muscle mass you want to have, and be as athletic as you want to be.

Paul11011

Guru in Training

• My Blogs
Posted March 13, 2011 - 9:36 PM

I was a former college football player, and I got sleeved after a player I know had bypass two years ago. He's in the best physical shape of his life, and hits the gym all the time. We were the same weight at surgery time so I'm hoping for the same results. I'm still two weeks out from being able to hit a weight room again.

We could both dunk at 300 lbs (at 18 and 20 years old), and now he's 30 and 195 and not only can he dunk again, he can show up 18-19 year olds with his ability to jump.

In short..., you can have the muscle mass you want to have, and be as athletic as you want to be.

Thanks for sharing that. I've been back on the weights for about 3 weeks now and am seeing improvements. I was initially discouraged because my weights were down so far from where I used to be lifting. I then realized it had been a good 4 years since I did any serious lifting and I'm no spring chicken any more, gonna be 40 in October. I look forward to seeing how you progress as you get back to the weights. Good luck!

DBubba

Intermediate Member

• Surgeon: Allan Cribbins
  • Surgery Date: Dec 2012
  • Height: 6 feet 1 inches
  • Starting Weight: 324
  • Weight Lost: 75
  • Current Weight: 249
  • Goal Weight: 240
  • BMI: 32.8
Posted December 15, 2012 - 1:10 PM

This is a big concern of mine. I am 4 days out from surgery and my biggest concern is losing too much weight. I work out regulalry and have good muscle mass but do not want to lose it all with the unwanted fat. My goal is to begin lifting as within the first 45 days so I can use the fat burining power to build the muscle. Anyone seen any good results lifting after to avoid the super skinny look?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Trending Topics