Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band slippage, acid reflux complication

Just to let everyone know that I went down to Monterrey, MX this week, and Dr. Rodriguez ended up having to remove my band. After only having it for 2 1/2 months! I had no slipped band, no hiatal hernia. My problem was with the sphinctor at the base of the esophagus. It was really swollen and wouldn't work correctly. It wouldn't let hardly anything pass, although when he did the fluoroscopy on Tues night, the barium went through, then when I drank Water, it just closed off completely. No wonder I had such a hard time drinking water!

Tues night, he couldn't figure out where the restriction was, so he had to do an endoscopy the next morning. That's when he found the swelling, but still didn't know the reason. So he went in with the laproscope and made the decision to take out the band, because he said the swelling might go down with medication, but it could always come back later, and I might get an eroded stomach. He said that my body just might produce too much acid and that may have been causing the problem but he really wasn't sure. He just didn't want to take the chance with my esophagus and stomach.

He put me on steroids for a couple of days after the surgery and I was able to drink Water and other liquids with no problem. I have to stay on liquids and mushies for about 2 to 3 more weeks. I'm just relieved to not have the reflux or the pain in my back or chest anymore and to be able to guzzle water again!! :scared: I am more sore than when I was first banded, but I kind of expected that. And I can't wait to be able to eat regular food again! But..... I have figured out a plan and will stick to it.

Cathy

Thank you so much, health1st! Even after my NP said that she didn't think it was a slip, there really wasn't a way for her to be sure because she was only looking at an X-ray. I will be glad to get down to Monterrey and get this checked in a proper way. If it needs to be and can be fixed, Dr. Rodriguez will do it Wednesday afternoon, after my test. I am just hoping that he doesn't say that the band needs to be removed, but I am prepared for that also. Anything to take this pain and vomiting away!

Yes, you are right about the dehydration. This past week I got steadily weaker during the week, and had to take off from work on Thursday. I got more Protein in that day as well as more Fluid. I felt much better on Friday.

I will let you know how it goes this week.

Cathy

Wheeler, so you are a fellow Aussie? My computer has been down, so I couldnt reply till now!

Did the Prof. put the band in too high?? That sounds like a big stuff up! Also why did they replace the band, and not just reposition it after the slip?? With all that farting it sounds like a gastric bypass!!! LOL But, in all seriousness, thats just not good enough! Gee, the band is sounding less & less perfect isnt it?? I also lost about 40kgs & it comes back very quickly when the band is not working...for me anyway!!!

Please keep us posted. Maybe we will cross paths at the Ave!

Hi Curley

Yes prof placed it too high, and I understand that my first band was not exactly in the right spot either, or something to that effect and that is why it slipped. I think he replaced it cause the first was a 5ml band and with scar tissue etc needed the bigger one. I understand that in oct when I go in to fix this one he will be only repositioning but who knows, depends on what he finds. I am worried about bad scarring internally so the band wont sit right again, its just a bloody nightmare.

Do you ever go on the aussie band support site called ozbanders? I do but hardly ever post, if you're interested let me know and I'll give you the link. Do you know any other bandsters in Melbourne, I know two and we regularly talk, others that I knew it kinda trailed off. Let me know how you go with prof, and I do hope I see you one day:)

Ety

Cathy, you may want to put your experience in Life after Lap band removal. The more information we all have, the better.

SO Sorry you had to have ithe band removed BUT so happy you are feeling better!!!

Stay in touch. Barbara