Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hello! I am scheduled to see a surgeon for the first time a week from today. I am concerned about my H. Pylori. I was diagnosed and treated for it when I was 8 or 9 years old. I have not been treated again but I do still have frequent acid reflux (2-3 times a week). Has anyone else been diagnosed with H. Pylori had the surgery? What has post-op been like?

Thanks!

Amanda

hello! I am scheduled to see a surgeon for the first time a week from today. I am concerned about my H. Pylori. I was diagnosed and treated for it when I was 8 or 9 years old. I have not been treated again but I do still have frequent acid reflux (2-3 times a week). Has anyone else been diagnosed with H. Pylori had the surgery? What has post-op been like?

Thanks!

Amanda

My stomach was sent to pathology and the test came back normal except they did find H. Pylori. The pathology was done in Mexico - and I brought this up to my PCP here in Sacramento. She asked me if I had any symptoms and went through a series of questions with me. I pretty much told her I was fine pre surgery. She said almost everyone has it and it's only treated if it causes the patient issues.

That being said you have already been treated for it previously because apparently it was causing you problems. To be safe you should bring this up to your surgeon. It would be for the better, IMO.

Good luck!! You want to go in knowing you are as healthy as possible. :)

pproximately 50% of the population is colonized with Helicobacter pylori and of those 80% do not show any symptoms.

Check with your doctor to see if he/she would like to test you again and if needed to treat.

Hi, I have heard of others who have/had h. Pylori and have gone on with surgery without any problems. I seem to remember Kaiser saying at orientation that they won't but I could be wrong.

Thanks!

Amanda

I'm hoping some others will chime in on this, my cousin is doing her preop and tested positive, was put on antibiotics and we go back tomorrow to re-test. If she retest negative the Dr, then goes in with a scope. I' had zero issues with the H pylori but am worried about her, hoping I'm not encouraging her to proceed to surgery .

I'm hoping some others will chime in on this, my cousin is doing her preop and tested positive, was put on antibiotics and we go back tomorrow to re-test. If she retest negative the Dr, then goes in with a scope. I' had zero issues with the H pylori but am worried about her, hoping I'm not encouraging her to proceed to surgery .

I was examined and found positive for H Pylori. I had no symptoms but a family history of ulcers and stomach cancer on my dad's side of the family.

I took 8 antibiotics a day for 14 days (14 miserable days!). The PCP is going to follow up with me to see if my stomach is clear. It is good to take the antibiotics and clear it up--even if no symptoms are present (my case). My PCP is not recommending that I not get the sleeve and he said I would be ok to get the surgery.

I did ask the surgeon during the seminar but he just said we could talk one on one and generally there is an increased risk for ulcers. I will post a follow-up once I speak witht he surgeon on Wednesday. thanks for all the comments so far.

Amanda

I was told a week after surgery that H Pylori was present in my stomach and that I should go on antibiotics to get rid of it. I also had an incisional infection at the time so antibiotics should be perfect to handle both issues. Here is when I think my problems started. I am allergic to penicillin, so I was given Bactrim and Tetracycline. Bactrim is very large and Tetracycline tastes very nasty. Just out of surgery it is impossible to take pills whole, so they have to be crushed. Bactrim is okay to crush but the Tetracycline capsule's taste would make gasoline taste bad. After surgery, many people get a huge gag reflex and bad flavors can make you throw up. I took about 5 days of my antibiotics and then just could not stomach them. I had to stop taking them altogether. My incision infection did heal and time went on okay for about 3 months. Lost lots of weight, was feeling okay.

However in the 3rd month, I could not eat, or drink, was taken to the ER and then released. 5 days later I passed out with Sepsis. I had developed a leak in the stomach. My wife was told that I would not live the first night.

Now there is a lot more to this story, but I was hospitalized for 5 months, 2 in a coma. I suspect that the H Pylori issue might have caused the breakdown of my stomach lining and the fact that I might have developed some superbug or something because I could not take all my antiobiotics to clear the H Pylori. My suggestion is to take antibiotics and get rid of this H Pylori BEFORE you have surgery. Because if you try to get rid of it after the surgery, it might not erradicate it. And remember if you get surgery outside of the US, most insurance companies will not cover a dime of your complications. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Les