Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest Weight Loss Surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for Weight Loss Surgery patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your Weight Loss Surgery decisions as well as providing you the Weight Loss Surgery support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive BariatricPal member features!

Join our 250K+ WLS member community. It's free!!!

So, how much can you eat??

Views
Started by Firefly2, Jan 20, 2011 11:32 AM
14 replies to this topic
14 replies to this topic

Firefly2

Expert Member

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Height: 5 feet 4 inches
  • Current Weight: 270 lbs
  • BMI: 46.3
Posted January 20, 2011 - 11:32 AM

Okay, I am 3 1/2 weeks post op and I am now on my mushies/soft food stage (yay) but OMG it takes me a good hour or more just to eat 1 scrambled egg and I feel so full at that!!!! :blink:

I am curious, how much food can everyone eat post op and when?

Thanks-Tiffany

SouthernSleever

Bariatric Master

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
  • Surgery Date: Oct 2010
  • Height: 5 feet 6 inches
  • Starting Weight: 276 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 143 lbs
  • Current Weight: 133 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 150 lbs
  • BMI: 21.5
Posted January 20, 2011 - 12:06 PM

I started eggs at about 3 weeks out and it I could eat 3/4 of one in about 15 minutes. I'm a fast eater and always have been. I'm a little over 3 months out now and I can eat a whole egg in about 5 minutes and 2 bites of toast. I'm stuffed after that. Seems the most I can get in is a cup of food. Last night I had 3 chicken wings and 2 french fries. STUFFED. 1 cup of soup sits very nicely. 1/2 a cup of cottage cheese with nuts on top, 1 peice of toast with 1/2 a piece of cheese and 2 slices ham. Those are typical meals for me.

Rootman

Bariatric Hero

• Surgery Date: Dec 2010
  • Height: 6 feet 0 inches
  • Starting Weight: 375 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 170 lbs
  • Current Weight: 205 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 190 lbs
  • BMI: 27.8
Posted January 20, 2011 - 12:20 PM

Sleeved Dec 6, 2010
Same here, took better part of an hour to finish breakfast at first, not I'm down to 15 minutes or so. I am NEVER hungry and as I've posted elsewhere I get really turned off by what I'm eating and have to actually force myself to eat the rest. I still eat maybe a 1/2 cup to 1 cup (depends on density) of food a meal. Been loosing like crazy but I actually need a few more calories and a lot more protein.

LilMsDiva Irene Rny

BariatricPal Super Host

• Surgery: Gastric Bypass
  • Surgeon: Afshin Eslami
  • Surgery Date: Jul 2014
  • Height: 5 feet 7 inches
  • Weight Lost: 120 lbs
  • BMI: 32.9
  • My Blogs
Posted January 20, 2011 - 12:34 PM

Sounds like DJackson and I both eat similarly and about the same amounts. My meals last anywhere from 20-30 minutes. It's usually enough to fill me and keep me for 3-4 hours.

Deedle Dee

Advanced Member

• Height: 5 feet 2 inches
  • Starting Weight: 243 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 23 lbs
  • Current Weight: 220 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 163 lbs
  • BMI: 40.2
Posted January 20, 2011 - 12:55 PM

. I have soup quite a bit. Usually about 1 1/2 cups (with chicken, beans and vegies). I can probably eat that much because part of it is liquid; other times I eat about a cup. I am 7 weeks out. So far I've lost 28 pounds since the day after Thanksgiving.

Susanne

Junior Guru

• My Blogs
Posted January 20, 2011 - 1:08 PM

I can tell ya how much I CAN'T eat, 4oz. of lean pork sirloin steak (sans anything else).
How do I know? Well, I just tried to have that as my left-over lunch and it was followed by about half an hour of extreme discomfort and a lot of rumbling in my stomach!

I am 11 weeks out

JanePatrick

Posted January 23, 2011 - 1:43 AM

It really depends on the kind of day I am having. Some days I seem to be able to eat more than others. I have also always been a slow eater, but since surgery I have turned into a snail with my eating pace.

Typically meals look pretty close to this for me at 5 months out:

Breakfast: 1 scrambled egg w/onion & zucchini cooked into it w/a sprinkle of cheese
Lunch: 1/2 to 3/4 ounce of lean meat or fish w/some cheese
Dinner: 1.5 ounces cooked chicken 1 baby carrot cooked 1 floret of steamed broccoli less than 1/4 c of baked potato
Snacks: protein drinks, Tbsp natural peanut butter, nuts, 1/2 apple or other small portion of a fruit, sometimes a carby treat but not often

I don't know how normal or not this amount is. Sometimes I feel like I am still hardly eating, then other times I feel like have eaten like a piglet.

With the exception of a 1 time week long carb binge, I do not usually feel hungry at all-the carbs in my system cranked up the hunger feeling though. Me and carbs have a very dysfunctional relationship and my body is super sensitive to them.

NLWC.Christa

Expert Member

Posted January 23, 2011 - 2:04 AM

I can eat about 3 to 3.5 ounces of protein and maybe a bite or two of vegetables, and that's about it.

It really depends on the texture/density of the protein though. I can eat 1/2 cup of yogurt with a little kashi go lean cereal mixed in with no problem. Soft proteins like tuna salad, I can eat 3 ounces and two or three crackers. Grilled chicken, pork and beef, three ounces and that's about it. If I'm eating something other than fish, I don't often have room for anything else.

Soups, like Wendy's chili, I can eat four ounces.

I'm 5 and a half months out.

tiffnie

Expert Member

Posted January 25, 2011 - 2:13 AM

It depends on the time of day for me. In the morning I usually cant eat too much, maybe a half a scrambled egg and half slice turkey, then I come back and finish it maybe half an hour later. Lunch today was 1 oz of tuna salad w 2 black olives. I usually have 2 snacks a day, one was a protein shake and the other was 1 oz of plain shredded chicken. Dinner was 4 oz of cauliflower and chicken soup, recipe off bariatriceating.com.

Question: I will sometimes set out a specified amount of food, say 2 oz of meat, and work at it over an hour or so until it is gone, considered as lunch or dinner. Technically it wont all fit in one sitting, but if I just eat what will fit (sometimes a little less than an ounce) I know Ill be hungry again in an hour or so. Is it better to just eat what I can in that specific sitting, then STOP and ride out the hunger w fluids until the next snack or meal, OR eat a reasonable amount (1-2 oz of meat, and thats it) over a timeframe? What are other people doing?

thinoneday

Sleeve Believer

Posted January 25, 2011 - 8:46 AM

Okay, I am 3 1/2 weeks post op and I am now on my mushies/soft food stage (yay) but OMG it takes me a good hour or more just to eat 1 scrambled egg and I feel so full at that!!!! :blink:

I am curious, how much food can everyone eat post op and when?

Thanks-Tiffany

Hey! I'm 1 year 1 month out now and can get down 6 - 8 oz comfortably but forget about trying to get down "just one more bite" then I'm uncomfortable. I time myself to have my meals completed in about 30 minutes and if i'm not done, too bad, out it goes. . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Dec 21
    ProjectMe

Day 5 Post Op...feeling pretty good! Still sore though

Show comments (2)
View All Updates