Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve stretch?

Guest squick

Good point. I actually read that in some paperwork from my dr. I will def. Be asking him to clarify!!

I think it could burst if you ate a lot right after surgery when your stomach hasn't heeled yet. But certainly once it is heeled you aren't going to burst it. I'm shocked to hear that you can't stretch it though. I had mine done in 2010 and I know mine has stretched. I can eat a sausage mcmuffin and a hash brown now, but when I had my surgery I could only eat half a sausage mcmuffin and no hash brown. Btw, that is just an example...I don't eat that every day!lol

A lot of people take recovery as a misconception from stretching. The stomach still swells a lot, so after surgery the swelling goes down, slowly, thus opening up for more food over time. Everyones recovery is different. I've never opened up a human stomach, but there have been numerous pig and deer stomachs I've cut open, and damn those things are tough. I find it'd be very, very hard to make it burst from over eating since the natural reaction is going to be just to throw it right back up. There are numerous doctors who have laughed at the question of bursting, but then again there are obviously some who take it very seriously.

A lot of people take recovery as a misconception from stretching. The stomach still swells a lot' date=' so after surgery the swelling goes down, slowly, thus opening up for more food over time. Everyones recovery is different. I've never opened up a human stomach, but there have been numerous pig and deer stomachs I've cut open, and damn those things are tough. I find it'd be very, very hard to make it burst from over eating since the natural reaction is going to be just to throw it right back up. There are numerous doctors who have laughed at the question of bursting, but then again there are obviously some who take it very seriously.[/quote']

Mark I think you made a good point about the stomach healing and this being able to take in more food. I can certainly see where that makes sense...no swelling, so there is more room to take in more food. I think it is just scary when all of a sudden you can take in so much more food. I remember at the beginning, I could only take a couple spoon fulls of food and now I feel like I can eat sooo much.

I'm glad I found this thread. I was sleeved 11/2011 and to date I've lost 75lbs. I feel like I should have lost more. It seems like I can eat too much and I have a carb demon. Any suggestions?

BJ, hang in there. Try to stay on track and keep a positive attitude. I was sleeved Oct 2012 and hv lost almost 80 lbs. I can eat more now, food tastes normal again, and i find myself eating crap like Cookies, ice cream, etc. Are you doing a prot shake per day? This may help fill you up. I've been trying to get back on track myself!

In the morning around 7, i eat egg whites and half a toast (seems i get much fuller if i eat SLOW). then before i get hungry again (around 10 AM), i make a big Protein drink. Only using 8 oz FF milk, then another 6-8 oz Water, scoop and half prot powder, and a couple tsp SF pudding mix to bulk it up. It takes a long time to drink it, and really fills me up. For me, starting in on junk food is a huge trigger and it's like a runaway train of eating. It's hard to eat right, but at least we have this SLEEVE tool to help us control things. It's like the Food Police live in my stomach, thank goodness! I wish you all the best! You've lost a lot of wt so you should be very proud and happy abt that.

VSG 10/25/12

Sw 300

CW 225

F/51

5'10"

From size 22/24 to 16/L. Yesssssssss!

I'm glad I found this thread. I was sleeved 11/2011 and to date I've lost 75lbs. I feel like I should have lost more. It seems like I can eat too much and I have a carb demon. Any suggestions?

I am only 4&1/2 months post-op but I can definitely eat more volume that I could a month ago. I have a carb-demon too. I consider it an addiction really. The surgery doesn't cure that, dammit! LOL! However, I've done pretty well thus far by tracking my food intake using the Lose It! App on my phone. I keep track of the calories but also the ratio of Protein, fat and carbs. I find when my pie chart is almost equally divided into thirds between Protein, fat and carbs with a bit more going to the protein I seem to lose at a steadier rate. When the carbs, especially my addiction, sugar and simple carbs, creep up too high it slows things down. The fact that I can eat more already really scares me because my biggest fear is that I'll have gone thru this surgery, lose a ton of weight and then gain it all back. AAAARGH!

pre-surgery weight 325; surgery date 2/28/2013; surgery weight 307; 8 weeks past-op weight 281.4; 12 weeks post-op 274; 4 month post-op 266.2

I am scared that my sleeve has stretched cause I almost a year out from surgery and I am eating more food, than I did the first couple of months and It worries me. I stop sodas like 6 +months ago. My weight loss is slow. I just don't want to go backwards with the weight loss I wasn't working out all that much but I have now recently increased that as well will my weight loss pick back up again

I am scared that my sleeve has stretched cause I almost a year out from surgery and I am eating more food, than I did the first couple of months and It worries me. I stop sodas like 6 +months ago. My weight loss is slow. I just don't want to go backwards with the weight loss I wasn't working out all that much but I have now recently increased that as well will my weight loss pick back up again

I've struggled as well. I'm 8 mo out and need to be more rigid with myself! I'm increasing my Water, Protein and exercise!

One thing to remember is that after surgery your stomach is also swollen and that makes the volume much less than what your stomach will hold once your healing is complete.