Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve stretch?

Guest squick

Guest squick

Does the sleeve stretch from drinking lots of fluids?

Guest squick

Only fizzy ones as far as I know. I think you'd have to be drinking really fast to stretch it with regular liquids. Eating to the point of vomiting will also increase the chances of your pouch being stretched.

Guest squick

Thank You......definately don't want to do anything to stretch it.

In a seminar hosted by Dr. Cirangle, he said the sleeve will stretch from about 3 oz to 6 oz at its max. He said its like a leather wallet. At first its flat and tight, after years of being filled with this and that it tends to stretch out some, but not a whole lot. He said it's because the part of the stomach that is not excised is the more muscular part - not the stretchy part.

I thought that was an interesting way of looking at it. Whether it's from fluids or food, I do believe it will stretch - just not a lot.

Dr. Kelly told me that it was not supposed to stretch. He said that it happened when doctors were leaving part of the fundus but now they do it very smell and so not leave any fundus so it is not supposed to stretch, It is swollen in the beggining and it will hold more as the swelling goes away but it will not stretch. This is what I was told about mine.

Guest squick

Thank You....just what I wanted to hear. I definately don't want it to stretch. I'm so careful what I eat. sleeved 9/13/10. 64 lbs lost so far. about 15 more to go. very diffucult.

Dr. Kelly told me that it was not supposed to stretch. He said that it happened when doctors were leaving part of the fundus but now they do it very smell and so not leave any fundus so it is not supposed to stretch, It is swollen in the beggining and it will hold more as the swelling goes away but it will not stretch. This is what I was told about mine.

Stretched or not, all i know is that if i eat really dense Proteins like eggs, tuna, sausages, chicken, etc. . . i have sooooo much restriction. . . for example today i only had the following, 2 poached eggs for Breakfast, 1.5 oz of chedder cheese at about 2:30pm and 1 piece of fish (tail end) for dinner. . .for a snack i had greek yogurt with 1 scoop of Protein Powder. . . i feel like i'll never need to eat ever again I am soooooooooooo full. . .and with that being said and at 14 months out, i think i'm still doing pretty darn good with restriction. . .

Sleeved 4/12/12, I wished mine would stretch, can't drink, or eat anything! I've lost lil over 50 lbs...wished I could keep anything down!

that's kind of scary bout_it. You're over 4 weeks post-op and you have to eat and drink or you will not only lose weight, you'll lose your health and possibly your life. Have you told your doctor ?

Doing a lot better...I had thee slowest healing ever...eating drinking more than 64 oz...back at work, even using stairs!!! Loving it

Sleeved 4/12/12, I wished mine would stretch, can't drink, or eat anything! I've lost lil over 50 lbs...wished I could keep anything down!

Something's not right. Same sleeve date for me, and other than a few days of nausea, and difficulty with gagging on pills etc., for the first month, I've slowly worked up to eating "real" food in small quantities without a lot of problems. I've lost 40 pounds since sleeving, and the doctor tells me now the wls needs to slow down to about two pounds per week, which I am still happy with. It's down.

I know I was given many dire warnings about losing too much weight, too fast. If you're still not able to keep liquids down with certainty, it would be wise to see your doctor.

CE

I was told the stomach could burst if you overeat...drink what you're not supposed too....has anyone else heard this?

I was told the stomach could burst if you overeat...drink what you're not supposed too....has anyone else heard this?

I asked my doctor if my stomach would burst, and he laughed at me...he said I would just throw up if I ate too much. It still freaks me out though...it seems :P like it could burst. Oh well, I'm gonna trust my doc. He did cut me open after all

Good point. I actually read that in some paperwork from my dr. I will def. Be asking him to clarify!!