Serious Stomach Acid Issues Post Gastric Sleeve Surgery

21 posts in this topic

I am currently 4 months post surgery and have had severe stomach acid from the beginning. I am taking ompreazole (previcid)40 mg twice a day and Carafate 4 times a day. All of this is barely working. I have pain in my stomach constantly and it is really impacting my quality of life. I'm following the diet, I don't eat after 6pm, and I take the medicine religiously. I have spoken to my doctor and the the nut.

I see that a lot of people take a minor dose of a PPI, but my issues go way beyond that. My question is, did anyone else have serious stomach acid issues and how long did they last? I am having a difficult time getting an answer from my doctor and I really just want to know what I am looking at long term.

Has your doctor ever suggested H2 (histamine receptor) blockers? E.g. Zantac. Have you ever done any serious studies, such as a gastroscopy or 24-hr pH monitoring to look for a cause? Also, this could be the result of a surgical error, in case everything else fails and you want to pursue the legal route (although, unfortunately, this won't do anything for your symptoms, of course).

I am taking a blocker (omeprazole) and it certainly helps a lot, but it seems to be just keeping it back a bit. I haven't had a gastroscopy or a 24 hr pH monitoring (both sound pretty awful!). I think the gastroscapy is premature. I definately don't have a ulcer and I am taking the carafate to try and prevent that. The monitoring might really be helpful and I will talk to my doc about that. Thanks!

I have been having like yellow bile coming up at night and after I eat do you have that also???

I haven't had any bile come up, but I can can taste it in my mouth all the time. It is pretty gross. Are you taking anything to control acid production?

Omeprazole is just an over the counter drug which is not the most effective PPI. You should definitely get an upper GI scope (EGD) to check what state your esophagus and stomach are in, and to make sure things look ok and nothing else is wrong. If not, you may just need stronger drugs (esomeprazole - the active metabolite of omeprazole - or pantoprazole eg. protonix).

Go see a GI guy.

Hi Cherice, I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. Li at SSF on March 21st. This is one of the main things I am concerned about. I already have mild-moderate reflux that I usually take pepcid for once or twice a day. Did you have acid issues prior to surgery and if so, were they severe?

P.S. I really hope you start to feel better!!

I have acid reflux very bad too

I had a VGS on the 7th FEB this year

It's very painful

If any one can help it would be great ,,,,,

THANKS ANN :0)))

You might try asking your doctor to do a breath test for H-pylori. It is a stomach bacteria that causes ulcers, severe reflux, gastritis, cancer, etc. I had the same problem and found that is what I have. My doctor found it in an endoscope with biopsies. I have gone through a 14 day treatment with 4 antibiotics 4 times a day. Truely exhausting. But I go next week to have a breath test to see if the antibiotics killed it or not. I am hoping so, otherwise I will be doing another 2 weeks of antibiotics.

Hope this helps and most importantly feel better soon!

1 person likes this

I have had problems with lots of acid myself. I had a hiatial hernia repair at the same time as my sleeve. I had an upper GI this morning and the technologist said I have severe reflux. My doctor said that one fix for this is to convert the surgery to a bypass. I couldn't believe it and said "No Way". I guess if you have no pylorus te acid leaves the stomach more readily. But another surgery? and a bypass????