Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vitamin D deficiency

Ok so i'm ticking along, losing weight and feeling great. . everytime i have gone to the doctor for follow up she has drawn blood and has found Vitamin D deficency and has prescribed Vitamin D 50,000units x 13 weeks. . well I have had this x 2 and now the last time she took blood and she has said that I have the most severest Vitamin D deficency she has ever seen and doesn't understand why. . . my PTH (parathyroid hormone) now is elevated as well, however, my Calcium levels are perfect as is everything else except for the liver enzymes which are elevated but she attributes that to the surgery. . . so here i am taking Vitamin D in large doses Prescription once a week along with Vitamin D3 gummies every day. . . my bone density test is fine with just a bit of osteoartheritis noticable. . . what do you guys think? She says that if after this 3 months if the vitamin D has not gone up significantly, she'll have to do something else. . . what else is there? IV vitamin D??? anyone know?

This may sound silly, but exposure to the sun is the body's natural way to get Vitamin D. Some time out in the sun without sunscreen (if you are not too fair-skinned) would probably help.

Good luck!

Ok so i'm ticking along, losing weight and feeling great. . everytime i have gone to the doctor for follow up she has drawn blood and has found Vitamin D deficency and has prescribed Vitamin D 50,000units x 13 weeks. . well I have had this x 2 and now the last time she took blood and she has said that I have the most severest Vitamin D deficency she has ever seen and doesn't understand why. . . my PTH (parathyroid hormone) now is elevated as well, however, my Calcium levels are perfect as is everything else except for the liver enzymes which are elevated but she attributes that to the surgery. . . so here i am taking Vitamin D in large doses Prescription once a week along with Vitamin D3 gummies every day. . . my bone density test is fine with just a bit of osteoartheritis noticable. . . what do you guys think? She says that if after this 3 months if the vitamin D has not gone up significantly, she'll have to do something else. . . what else is there? IV vitamin D??? anyone know?

Vit D is fat soluble maybe take your pills/gummies with cheese. Also if you are out in the sun your skin should make Vit D but you need to get sun often (do you live somewhere sunny?) Maybe increase food intake that contains Vit D.

Not sure what is the next step, possibly giving you something to help your body process the vit D.

Doctors are finding Americans are deficient in Vit d at alarming rates. I was tested before my surgery in a regular check up and had to be tested again before the surgery. Normal is 125 and I was at 13 the first time I was tested. The second time before surgery I was above normal. I had to take the Mega doses also, after 4 weeks I started taking vit d everyday from Puritan Products in addition to sitting next window in the afternoon a couple times a week. Be sure you get your vit k as well as fish oil in as it helps the body absorb the D3 better as well as some zinc.

Hey chickee, contact Vitalady.com she has the dry form of Vitamin D, and that stuff works wonders.

The RX D pretty much sucks, and your numbers might go slowly, but if you talk to Vitalady, she won't steer you wrong. I promise. . . The RX D isn't as readily absorbed as the dry form. Michelle (vitalady) is amazingly helpful, and even it's not RX, I swear that Vit D Dry form is what all the DS'ers and RNY'ers use when their D drops too low.

Also, taking a calcium citrate with magnesium and vitamind d definitely helps.

Thanks everyone ! You all are great. . . and yes, I live in San Antonio Texas and am a sun worshiper, so getting my sunshine is definately NOT a problem over here. . . I'll try vitalady as well, and i do eat alot of cheese already any more and I'll turn into a rat. . :lol: Thanks again all, I'll keep you posted!

Vit D can make you constipated too, if so take your magnesium at the same time to counteract. I was 14 as well, taken one course of 50,000 units a week, test went up to 30 (the lowest in the normal range 30-100) I started to take 5,000 a day and my test is up to 43..... getting there.....Vit D is supposed to help joint pain too...

Vit D can make you constipated too, if so take your magnesium at the same time to counteract. I was 14 as well, taken one course of 50,000 units a week, test went up to 30 (the lowest in the normal range 30-100) I started to take 5,000 a day and my test is up to 43..... getting there.....Vit D is supposed to help joint pain too...

My level is 9. . . quite low. My normal potty routine is only 1 or 2 per week if that. Tell you, I'm just a mess. . .:blink:

My level is 9. . . quite low. My normal potty routine is only 1 or 2 per week if that. Tell you, I'm just a mess. . .:blink:

Check out Magnesium on the net, I read start out with 300 for a while. Thats the normal minimum recommended dose. After taking it with my Calcium for about 5 days it kicked in and has been smooth sailing every since!

Getting Vitamin D from Vitamins or food is pretty much a myth. You would need to drink gallons of milk to equal the Vitamin D in sunlight. And the sunlight must be without sunscreen or windows, any kind of block. You only need about 10 minutes per day. So roll up your sleeves and pantlegs and go outside! Actually the sunlight causes your own body to produce the Vitamin D you need.

The reason why there is a Vitamin D deficiency in people is because we're told, "Sunlight bad, no sun for you!" And it's not true. Like anything else, the trick is moderation. The face is different, it's a future wrinkle issue, so keep wearing the sunscreen there. But don't be afraid of getting some sunshine on your arms and legs.

The medical world discovers something and runs with it without thinking of the consequences. Like when they discovered fat causes heart disease. They started telling everyone to avoid ALL fat. And we know how well that worked out. It's the same with sunlight.

During my vitD research, i read somewhere that if you put mushrooms in the sun for a while, they produce VitD. Its one of the only places you can find it in your food (vegan source that is). Its not enough for therapeutic amounts, but thats pretty cool huh?

Mushrooms

The food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the USA has been seeking a natural, non-animal food, rich in Vitamin D. That led them to mushrooms. It has been demonstrated that when white button mushrooms are exposed to Ultraviolet B radiation, for a short period of time, the level of Vitamin D increases to levels many times the minimum daily requirement, i.e. 10 mcg. Normally, a serving** of white button mushrooms contains 18 IU (0.45 mcg.). Treated mushrooms contain over 80 mcg.***

Everyone is deficient in vit D these days. It's only recently that doctors started checking for it regularly.

Mine was really low. I could not get it to come up. I finally contacted Michelle at Vitalady and I got the dry vit. d 50,000 which I took once a week. It came up quite a bit but not where I want it to be. My friend who is also a sleeved friend is a nurse, and she had the same problem. She told me to take the 50,000 dry vit d every 5 days and that's what I am doing now. I'll get tested again in a couple of months.

So I am with Tiffy. Contact vitalady and get the dry 50,000. It took probably at least 6 months for mine to come all the way up.

I didn't know that.. I am taking high doses of D too

GTK