Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

What Fiber Supplements can I use?

Views
Started by daezeey, Jan 08, 2011 10:07 AM
4 replies to this topic
4 replies to this topic

daezeey

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted January 8, 2011 - 10:07 AM

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with using fiber supplements since surgery. I have used them pre-op but wondered what people do after surgery.

I am currently still on the liquid phase of my post-op diet so I am not too concerned now. BUT the next phase of my diet plan does not offer a whole lot in the area of fiber either. So if anyone has dealt with this any advice would be most appreciated.

feedyoureye

BariatricPal Host

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
  • Surgeon: Mohamed Ali
  • Surgery Date: Jan 2011
  • Starting Weight: 259 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 91 lbs
  • Current Weight: 168 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 169 lbs
  • BMI: 24.8
  • My Blogs
Posted January 8, 2011 - 9:45 PM

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with using fiber supplements since surgery. I have used them pre-op but wondered what people do after surgery.

I am currently still on the liquid phase of my post-op diet so I am not too concerned now. BUT the next phase of my diet plan does not offer a whole lot in the area of fiber either. So if anyone has dealt with this any advice would be most appreciated.

Hi, I don't know about fiber supplements, but I was really having problems with Constipation, and my Dr told me that taking D vitamins can do that to you. I did a little research and found out that Magnesium can help when taken with the D, starting with 300mg a day. I started taking them and about 4 days later started to be more regular. Hurray! This was after three weeks of difficulties...so to speak....

Eureka-C

• Surgery Date: Nov 2010
  • Starting Weight: 299 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 89 lbs
  • Current Weight: 210 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 150 lbs
  • BMI: 31.9
Posted January 8, 2011 - 10:39 PM

I started taking benefiber 3 times a day with my protein shakes at 2weeks. At 6 weeks now I take it once a day, but if I go three days w/o a bm, I take it 2-3times a day again.

fullhandsfullheart

Posted January 8, 2011 - 10:46 PM

yes, Benefiber

Supersweetums

Aspiring Evangelist

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
  • Current Weight: 138 lbs
  • BMI: 24.4
Posted January 9, 2011 - 10:05 AM

I am almost 6 weeks out. I started taking Benefiber because I was having problems, except it seems to have done a 180 and I am going too much, so I think I will stop. What the other poster said about magnesium is good too. I haven't started, but I am going. Not only can Vitamin D cause constipation, but a lot of calcium. I am not sure about your diet, but my consists of trying to get 1500mg of calcium a day. You can buy supplements that have Calcium and Magnesium in them, and that is what I was taking before surgery. Now that I am much more healed and can swallow pills well, I think I will start taking them again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates