Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

stomach flu after VSG

I'm 5 months post VSG. I got the flu this week. Headache and nausea but no throwing up. 3 friends and my son have all gotten this flu in the last month. For them it followed a predictable pattern: 1 day of nausea (with or without vomiting) and headache and then good as new. It's lasted longer for me and I'm wondering if my immune system is different or if this has something to do with the VSG. So here's my question:

Have you gotten stomach flu since your VSG? Did it take you longer to recover?

Thanks. This isn't my favorite way to lose weight!

I ate lots of yogurt and added probiotic powder to fight off the stomach bug. I hate, I mean absolutely despise throwing up so I did everything I could to prevent hurling.

I went back to mushies, lots of yogurt, and Probiotics for the good bacteria to even out in my GI tract. I don't think it took any longer for me to recover than pre-op. I used the same tactics pre-op, lots of saltine crackers and chicken noodle Soups, broths, etc etc. Plain, bland diet always helps. Little to no meat, yes, I know it kills the Protein count, but if I'm hurling up what I eat, what does it matter? ? ?

I never take Immodium, or any other drugs to stop the diarrhea. For me, when my body goes through something like this, it's always a sign that my body wants it out of my system. I'm not going to take something to stop me up. I'll poop 10 times a day over taking anti-diarrhea medications. Gatorade and pedialyte pops to combat dehydration are always in my house in the event we get hit with a stomach bug.

I got the stomach flu at around 9 weeks post op. Up until then I hadn't puked one time post op so it really really freaked me out. I felt like I had gotten hit in the head with a sledge hammer and the vertigo was out of this world. I got a call to pick my son up at school early that friday morning and he had it one night, then hopped up like 11 hours after it started and it was like nothing ever happened.

I got it in the middle of the night that following night and I had felt no symptoms and it took me a lot longer until I felt back to normal. My mother came and did a gatorade drop off lol. She left it on the porch. I just sipped as much as i could and kept it on ice and took ibuprofen for the headache. When my vomitting stopped after about 20 hours I was still really weak and had a lingering headache. My stomach ended up a big acidic mess and I had to go to my regular doctor a week after the flu to get a strong PPI because the normal PPI I had been taking was not working. My doctor said my tummy got thrown out of whack with the virus and needed something to get it back under control. So I took Dexilant for 6 weeks and then was able to progress off of it totally. My husband started about 4 hours before I finally stopped throwing up so then it was his turn. Somehow my 11 year old dodged the bullet even though he was playing nurse to us. All-in-all it took me around 3 days to feel like I had decent energy level but because my stomach was so acidy and burning after it felt like it lasted forever.

Im like Tiff that if I am in the middle of a virul infection like that I wont take immodium and stuff I just let it work it's way through. Now if I get hit with bathroom problems with no other symptoms I will give it a day or so before I take something.

I hope you feel better soon.