Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chin Hair and Weight Loss?

I am almost two months out and have lost 39 pounds but I haven't noticed any changes in my Hair growth. Like some of you, I have to shave and also tweeze! I have a lot of sideburn hairs and under chin area. It's a big pain and it really sucks! I have to shave every day! I noticed that birth control pills helped slow the growth but be careful... I didn't know that I had to be stop taking birth control pills for one month before and one month after surgery because of the risks of blood clotting. If I would have been off the birth control I would have had an early surgery date.

I was really fat, and my mom is Greek. 'Nuff said.

I'm debating over trying the "No No!" Have any of you tried it? I'm seriously thinking about taking the plunge and trying it. I would do laser (even just for my eyebrows of nothing else - waxing makes me look like I've been maced), but several friends have done it and they all compare it to "the agony of being repeatedly sliced by exacto knives." Umm, pass...

I'm debating over trying the "No No!" Have any of you tried it? I'm seriously thinking about taking the plunge and trying it. I would do laser (even just for my eyebrows of nothing else - waxing makes me look like I've been maced), but several friends have done it and they all compare it to "the agony of being repeatedly sliced by exacto knives." Umm, pass...

Unrelated to this post, but have to ask you what is AGB?

LOLLOLLOL! I have a really bad problem- wa eah week but this post is hillarious!

I too, have PCOS. I'm 5 weeks out from surgery and seem to be losing at the same rate of others so far, which is so exciting for me, as nothing I've tried before has worked!

I am halfway through laser hair removal treatments and I am definitely noticing a huge decrease in the speed and volume of hair growth! :) I can't speak as to whether it will be forever yet, but I can tell you it seems to be working so far.

My first period since VSG did seem to be lighter than the intense ones I was having prior to surgery (I had to stop taking the birth control pill to help with PCOS due to getting blood clots from it).

So, for me, so far, my symptoms seem to be improving. My endocrinologist wants to see me 3 months out to check the progress.

I'll keep you posted.

DO NOT TWEEZE! your making everything worse. Shave instead of tweezing. I've had lazer removal and saw a big difference. I would of continued but It's not cheap and I wasn't working at the time. I haven't had WLS yet but the lady that did lazer removal told me tweezing is the worse thing someone can do to remove their chin hair.< /p>

3-weeks post op, no improvement whatsoever in the amount and texture of chin hairs. I'll keep track and update you guys, perhaps it's too soon to tell - but outlook's not good. I don't want to go on the pill for this *sigh*.

You have to be careful w/ tweezing because you can cause in-grown hairs and scarring.. if you do it right, you should be fine.. I had laser treatments for a few months and I saw a significant decrease in the amount and coarseness of the hair on my face. I was diagnosed w/ PCOS.... I haven't had treatments for over a year and a half, but, the hair is not as coarse as it was pre-laser... now I just use a triple butter soap and shave a little once/per week...

Getting more laser treatments after I recuperate from surgery...

My GYN explained the chin hair was a result of the PCOS. Although I've never had children she inserted an IUD instead of birth control pills due to my previous high blood pressure. The estrogen boost has slowed the growth a teeny bit. We'll see how things pan out since I'm just barely a month post-op. Heredity does play a role too. Many women in my family either tweeze or get waxed. I will be seeking laser treatments too. Groupon in my city has great deals almost every month. Happy hair removal ladies!

Lizzie, How are you??

Hi everyone, I actually work for a Dr who does the laser hair removal. It works fabulously, provided you are dark and the hairs you are plucking out have dark bulbous roots. The laser will target those black roots and kill them, but those of us who are truly blonde or have turned white, the laser will get them hit or miss. It will take more treatments and doesn't do as good as a job. I love the post from the Greek lady and assume you're dark? Typically a semi full bearded person of dark decent are the most successful clients we have. If you are fair and have light hair, don't waste your money. If someone tells you that they can cure you 100% in 2-3 treatments, they are lying to you and themselves. :-(

Ok, so just so help me understand. I'm light skinned caucasion, but have dark chin hairs. I have to shave every other day which is highly annoying. And, talk about embarrassing if on a date and there is even a slight "5'oclock shadow"....

Would laser removal work for me? Years ago, I tried some treatment where they did this treatment where they put some clear gel or something and then moved a pulsating device over it for like 10 or 15 minutes, can't remember. Was worthless!!

How long do laser treatments take per session?

Hi everyone, I actually work for a Dr who does the laser hair removal. It works fabulously, provided you are dark and the hairs you are plucking out have dark bulbous roots. The laser will target those black roots and kill them, but those of us who are truly blonde or have turned white, the laser will get them hit or miss. It will take more treatments and doesn't do as good as a job. I love the post from the Greek lady and assume you're dark? Typically a semi full bearded person of dark decent are the most successful clients we have. If you are fair and have light hair, don't waste your money. If someone tells you that they can cure you 100% in 2-3 treatments, they are lying to you and themselves. :-(

Ok, so just so help me understand. I'm light skinned caucasion, but have dark chin hairs. I have to shave every other day which is highly annoying. And, talk about embarrassing if on a date and there is even a slight "5'oclock shadow"....

Would laser removal work for me? Years ago, I tried some treatment where they did this treatment where they put some clear gel or something and then moved a pulsating device over it for like 10 or 15 minutes, can't remember. Was worthless!!

How long do laser treatments take per session?

Allow a couple hairs to get long enough to pluck. If you pluck them and the root is black or very dark, then the laser will be able to find them easily, if not, it's just hit or miss as the laser pulsates over them. I personally am very fair, my body hair is very blonde with the exception of an occasional thick hair I like to call the family "goat" hair. We all have them, you know the ones, the fine wire that decides to pop out of your chin when you least expect it. Although it looks dark to me, once plucked, the root is still blonde, making it very difficult for the laser to zoom in on. The laser operator can go over the area repeatedly in hopes of catching the hair root and for me who has had access to repeated treatments, finally has had that one or two stubborn ones removed, it wasn't easy. I'm just saying, a dark haired person is so much more successful and the cost is usually cheaper because the laser can find those roots easier. In any case, cheaper Dr's are not better, they are usually the ones in the "learning" phase, spend your money on the newest technology and the most experienced people. It all works eventually. I have seen some true miracles. I would wait until weight loss goals are met and hormones are balanced before spending money. Make it part of your make over plan. You deserve it.

The length of treatment depends on how much area is being done. It can be quite painful and maybe sideburns or marionette first. Worry about one area at a time. I know that dark side burn hair on woman, seems to disappear very quickly and makes the client very happy. Depends on what bothers you the most. Each session is 15 minutes or so, but of course there is 30-45 minutes of prep time with local anesthesia creams for numbing. At least in our office, some Dr's don's use that at all. :-( Then for something really special, try putting hair back where you may have lost some, I am true advocate for the product that gives you back youthful eyelashes. You know the one, it starts with the letter L and sounds like ateash . Well, I think it makes people look younger, nothing like a longer set of eye lashes, people tend to put on mascara, make themselves more presentable and sincerely others look at them differently and overall they do look younger. I think it's the least expensive thing you can do to change how you look. I have seen some drastic changes. It is an up keep product, but I see the results and honestly, it's better than botox in my book. Eyelashes and freckles and youthful!!!

I do very little make up to be honest, other than foundation and eyeliner. Long eyelashes would bother me personally, but they do look pretty on other people.

The only issue I have for hair growth is right under my chin, no side burns or anything. I will check around when I get closer to goal for someone to do laser treatments. What is PCOS?

Allow a couple hairs to get long enough to pluck. If you pluck them and the root is black or very dark, then the laser will be able to find them easily, if not, it's just hit or miss as the laser pulsates over them. I personally am very fair, my body hair is very blonde with the exception of an occasional thick hair I like to call the family "goat" hair. We all have them, you know the ones, the fine wire that decides to pop out of your chin when you least expect it. Although it looks dark to me, once plucked, the root is still blonde, making it very difficult for the laser to zoom in on. The laser operator can go over the area repeatedly in hopes of catching the hair root and for me who has had access to repeated treatments, finally has had that one or two stubborn ones removed, it wasn't easy. I'm just saying, a dark haired person is so much more successful and the cost is usually cheaper because the laser can find those roots easier. In any case, cheaper Dr's are not better, they are usually the ones in the "learning" phase, spend your money on the newest technology and the most experienced people. It all works eventually. I have seen some true miracles. I would wait until weight loss goals are met and hormones are balanced before spending money. Make it part of your make over plan. You deserve it.

The length of treatment depends on how much area is being done. It can be quite painful and maybe sideburns or marionette first. Worry about one area at a time. I know that dark side burn hair on woman, seems to disappear very quickly and makes the client very happy. Depends on what bothers you the most. Each session is 15 minutes or so, but of course there is 30-45 minutes of prep time with local anesthesia creams for numbing. At least in our office, some Dr's don's use that at all. :-( Then for something really special, try putting hair back where you may have lost some, I am true advocate for the product that gives you back youthful eyelashes. You know the one, it starts with the letter L and sounds like ateash . Well, I think it makes people look younger, nothing like a longer set of eye lashes, people tend to put on mascara, make themselves more presentable and sincerely others look at them differently and overall they do look younger. I think it's the least expensive thing you can do to change how you look. I have seen some drastic changes. It is an up keep product, but I see the results and honestly, it's better than botox in my book. Eyelashes and freckles and youthful!!!

I am fair skinned and have very dark brunette hair. I have very little hair on my arms and legs, but get terrible chin and moustache hair. I did 6 sessions of laser treatment and it tremendously reduced the hair regrowth - I only shave once a week, and just in spots, rather then my whole chin nearly daily. I finished my 6 treatments of the laser hair removal about 6-8 months ago and but definately notice that they are coming back. I am not really convinced that laser hair removal is permanent for me anyway. I went to a well known salon with a good reputation, but am not too interested in doing laser treatments every year as they kinda hurt and cost a bundle.