Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Over 60 and having the sleeve

Hi, I am 65 and had my sleeve on 10-25 and so far have lost 45 lbs. I was one of the fortunate ones that had no problems what so ever. Tired the first week and that is all. I pretty much kept to the plan but I did move it up a little with no problems. Now I am eating everything except fried, sugar,etc. and it is fine. Of course like you will find out every meal will just be about 3 bites. Do not go over this or you will have pain for about 15 mins., not good. I am getting just about all of my Protein from food and just about 15 gms. in a drink. tuna and cottage cheese are what I eat most during the day, at dinner I usually have a few bites of what ever I am fixing...good luck

Hi Everyone,

I had my sleeve Oct 21, 2008 and I was 63 and I am now 66. I lost 105 pounds and have kept it off. I am here for any of you if you have questions or need help with anything. I have a little history behind me so, I have been down the road ahead of you.

There isn't anything that we can't talk about. So ask away with your questions.

Hugs,

Suzanne

I am 62 having my surgery on January 10th - will turn 63 on January 13th - best birthday present I have given myself in years.

So good to read all the success stories of our age group - I just want to be healthy for the next phase of my life - the sleeve was the best option as I too have tried every diet known to man/woman - my family Doctor gave me speed at age 13 so my weight struggle has been for 50 years.

Please keep in touch - need the support of the mature group at this point

Had surgery 18 months ago at age 62 (now 64). I'm still working towards goal and I'm losing much more slowly now, but I'm still losing. Wish I had had the money to get it done years ago, but I'm grateful to have been able to have it even this relatively late in life. I enjoy reading posts from folks who have maintained their weight for a period of years. RE: my loss do far, I still need knee replacement, but the pain is so much more manageable now. That and sleep apnea were luckily the only co-morbidities I had. I like it when this usually quiet forum gets active. Let's keep in touch with our progress. So many in this community are quite a bit younger.

I am 62 having my surgery on January 10th - will turn 63 on January 13th - best birthday present I have given myself in years. So good to read all the success stories of our age group - I just want to be healthy for the next phase of my life - the sleeve was the best option as I too have tried every diet known to man/woman - my family Doctor gave me speed at age 13 so my weight struggle has been for 50 years. Please keep in touch - need the support of the mature group at this point

Hi,

I understand what you are saying. I was 63 when I had my VSG--now I am 66. It took me 14 months to lose the weight 105 pounds. I think keeping track everyday of what I was eating, keeping the carbs between 20 and 25 per day and no more than 800 calories for the day allowed to lose the weight in 14 months. I also walked 5 to 6 days a week and I walk between 45 minutes and 1 hour.

Like you I wished I would have done it long before age 63, but I love my life now. I told my PCP today I am feeling so great that I plan on living until I am 100--she said why not 110. LOL. So that is what I plan--I am going to live to be over 100. I feel so very good ALL the time now. Congratulations on your success. I think it is fabulous!

Hugs,

Suzanne

Thank you Suzanne for the words of encouragement - five more days; can't wait to have the surgery behind me not in front of me - doing the pre op diet now and it is not easy - I want to eat something other than Protein - but know this will all be worth it.

Will definetly keep you posted on the process - I don't know about living to 110; will be happy with 80!

thanks again!

Jane

Thank you Suzanne for the words of encouragement - five more days; can't wait to have the surgery behind me not in front of me - doing the pre op diet now and it is not easy - I want to eat something other than Protein - but know this will all be worth it. Will definetly keep you posted on the process - I don't know about living to 110; will be happy with 80! thanks again! Jane

Hi,

They very best thing I can say about the sleeve, is that I am NEVER hungry. Your head plays awful games with you. The head will try tell you to eat and you know that you are full. We were so used to always eating when we had stress, happy or sad. You will make lifestyle changes and that will be eating what you want--but making some healthy food changes. Like eating small amount of Protein, veggies, and fresh fruit. I kept my carbs at between 20 to 25 per day and keeping my calories at 800 per day while I was losing weight. I kept track of everythig I put into my body--that was so very helpful to me.

I will be thinking about you. 5 days will go sooooooooooo fast.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Tomorrow is the day! Normally I am a very relaxed person; but for some reason this past week I have been stressed out and cranky. I am certain it had to do with the pre-op diet of no carbs and not having my normal food to comfort me.

I am sure I made the right decision but I just want to get through this week; I will be celebrating my 63rd birthday on Friday with a Protein shake and resting at home.

Thank you all for the support; so glad I found this website and the over 60 group!

Hi everyone. Just wanted to chime in here. I had my surgery 10-3-11 and turned 68, on the 24th with a new "birthday suit" LOL! I have lost 62 lbs to date and have done well except for some nausea that mysteriously appeared two weeks out and lasted about 3 weeks. I too can eat about anything but when my head rules, my body talks back with pain. I have learned to get away from the table so I don't experience that feeling of something stuck and having to burp to free it. It's trial and error but if you follow the guidelines you will do fine. The biggest help to me was this board and the responses, sleevers take the time to write. Good luck on your journey.

well, wish I could tell you it was a great experience - the surgery was smooth - but I had a reaction to the adhesive used during the surgery - bad ugly itchy rash. Took a week to gid rid of it; it was unpleasant.

Must admit can't get enough Water each day - so I am weak and have very little stamina; trying to do ice tea, gatorade, chrystal lite.

Have little appetite at all - eat as much as I can, but nothing tastes right. I miss my crutch which was food. I know it will get better; but for now I feel sad and confused.

I have lost 23 pounds since January 10th - but it doesn't make much difference right now.

Can't wait to feel great again - which I know I will !

Oh Wow. So sorry. Do NOT get dehydrated. You'll end up back in hospital. I know you know that, but just a reminder. I remember how hideous all that sipping was. I didn't have much appetite either those first few weeks and everything tasted weird, but the fluids are essential. Good luck! You just had major surgery! It takes a while to recover. It will get better. Congrats on the 23 pound loss. Yay!

well, wish I could tell you it was a great experience - the surgery was smooth - but I had a reaction to the adhesive used during the surgery - bad ugly itchy rash. Took a week to gid rid of it; it was unpleasant.

Must admit can't get enough Water each day - so I am weak and have very little stamina; trying to do ice tea, gatorade, chrystal lite.

Have little appetite at all - eat as much as I can, but nothing tastes right. I miss my crutch which was food. I know it will get better; but for now I feel sad and confused.

I have lost 23 pounds since January 10th - but it doesn't make much difference right now.

Can't wait to feel great again - which I know I will !

Hi,

We told you that the 1st month is the hardest month that you will ever have to do. I am sorry you had a reaction to the tape. But, look at it this way. It is over and it is time to move on and put that in the past.

It is very difficult to get in all the water--so here is what I want to say--STOP stressing over it. Stop keeping track for a little while and do this: Keep some kind of liquid with you all the time and make it a habit to sip baby sips all the time. It makes it a whole lot easier.

Now you said you are tired all the time. I want you to go to your PCP and have them run a blood panel. I want you to have your potassium levels checked. It should like this just might be the problem. I had this and all I had to do was take some potassium pills and I felt a whole lot better. It might not be that, but to be on the safe side have all your blood levels checked to make sure that everything is OK. Did them test them while you were in the hospital and before you went home? I knew when I left Dr. Aceves my potassium was low, so I had it checked when I got home--sure enough that was my problem.

The surgery is doing what is is supposed to--you DO NOT have an appetite and food will taste different for awhile. You will never feel hungry and you will feel full really quick. You are experiencing what we call "head hunger." You old brain is missing the food you are feel sad about it and actually mourning the loss of NOT ever being able to eat like you used to.

Would you rather be fat or wasn't it your goal to lose this weight and become healthy. That is what the surgery was all about. I promise you it gets better each day and when you start feeling better it becomes a lot easier. This is a lifestyle change and you will love your "sleeve" and look back on these days and say they were all worth it. This is NOT a miracle cure and it doesn't happen over night. I would think you would be thrilled to lose 23 pounds. When was the last time you lost 23 pounds in about 20 days?????

Hang in there and keep posting so we can help you.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Thanks for the good words - just want my stamina back as my work life is crazy and while I was out the pile of call backs just mounted up.

Before the surgery I was on an anti depressant, they took me off and did not replace (with my permission) so at one time I am going through the loss of that - no cocktails for a while - and no comfort food all happening in the dreary winter in New England.

Today I feel better and thing are starting to work themselves out. My blood pressure has dropped so the meds had to be adjusted - seeing the cardiologist on Friday.

I know this summer when I am walking to the beach without huffing and puffing I will so glad I made the choice.

Thanks for the good words - just want my stamina back as my work life is crazy and while I was out the pile of call backs just mounted up.

Before the surgery I was on an anti depressant, they took me off and did not replace (with my permission) so at one time I am going through the loss of that - no cocktails for a while - and no comfort food all happening in the dreary winter in New England.

Today I feel better and thing are starting to work themselves out. My blood pressure has dropped so the meds had to be adjusted - seeing the cardiologist on Friday.

I know this summer when I am walking to the beach without huffing and puffing I will so glad I made the choice.

Hi,

You have the right attitude and that is half the problem. One day at a time, and it does take a little time to get your strength back.

Hugs,

Suzanne

I am 62 and will be having my surgery in three days on April 20, 2012. Two weeks ago I was terrified about the upcoming surgery, but reminded myself of the health benefits it would bring me and got over it. I am ready and looking beyond the surgery and any difficulties adjusting afterwards. You all are so inspiring. Thank you for being here.