Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Official What You Will Need For Your Upcoming Weightloss Surgery Thread!

Awesome suggestions Jordi, thanks!!

I will start working on the "bring it" list on Friday. I have the day off and don't have a lot to do except unpack more boxes. Funny, we moved into our new home in May. Yeah, gotta finish that up... lmao!

Laptop with cord (install Skype or some other voice chat to save $ on phone calls!), books, magazines, stuffed animal, some sort of crafts (e.g. knitting), Spanish dictionary if you're heading to Mexico - might not be necessary, but why not improve your Spanish while there?

My bariatric coordinator gives everyone a small firm pillow with a picture of the procedure on it. I used it to press against my stomach when I needed to get in and out of bed, also when I needed to give a nice strong cough to clear my lungs after surgery, and I continued using it to help me at home. If you aren't given one of these (ask ahead) make sure you bring a small firm pillow with you for this purpose.

What a great idea!! I just had a uterine fibroid removed (laproscopic) and I could really have used one of these!! I tried to explain to the nurses that my swollen stomach needed support but they didn't get it. I asked if they had some sort of elastic girdle thing but they told me they couldn't give me anything like that.... I was miserable.

Thanks for putting this together!

A few things I've read about that I probably wouldn't have thought of:

An eye mask and ear plugs (wish I would have had them a few months ago during my hospital stay!!)

Slippers or slip on shoes to walk the hallway

A camera

Lotion, Shampoo, soap, deodorant, etc

Reading glasses

Phone charger

I'm getting the surgery in Mexico and I plan to bring some Water and food items with me for the night before. I don't want to have to worry about going out to get something to eat (I'll be by myself).

My nurse ok'd some sugar-free Halls Vitamin C drops. My throat hurt so bad, I was really glad I brought these to suck on once they determined I had no leaks and were letting me have small sips of Water.< /p>

Things I took that I needed and used:

- Chap Stick, #1 by far

- SF Ricola lozenges... sooooo dry with the oxygen

- Gas X strips

- Listerine strips

- Book (barely used, hard to stay awake to read long), glasses

- Cell phone

- Deodorant and baby wipes to clean up some before going home next day

Things I took and did NOT need or use:

- Robe and slippers

- Makeup (pah--right, as if lol)

- iPod (can't sleep with music anyway, so I'm gonna stare at the walls while I listen?)

Wear what you plan on wearing home, you'll only be in it a couple of hours anyway. Also, even though I turned on the TV for maybe an hour, I got a bill for it from some external company (not the hospital) -- only $5, but it's the principle of the thing. Had no idea I'd have to pay for the damn thing, so clarify that before you decide you want it on.

Wow these are all excellent ideas! Keep them coming. :) I will get that list prepared soon. I ended up not having a lot of time this weekend. It just makes sense to wait until more ideas are brought up first anyhow.

Awesome, you all rock!! :D

Lilmissdiva,

Maybe you can also do a list for things that we when we get home too.

It will be all inclusive -- we need so many things for before/during/after. Thanks for the suggestion!!

I brought cute night shirts, Chapstick, mp3 player, makeup, book... I didn't use any of them lol I didn't see anyone in the hospital ever change out of their hospital gown, there is too many tubes, shots, drainage bag, catheter bag. I was so tired, I never thought of listening to music let alone read. And... makeup, ya right lol My surgeon uses a blue die during the surgery, which, of course leaks down the side of your face, I was more concerned with washing my face to get the blue off then applying makeup. I suggest you keep it simple, stay in the gown, just bring real baggy clothes, with a very loose waist band, slippers to wear home, hairbrush and toothbrush and paste. Once I got home, not much changed for a few days other than I could shower. Stay comfy.

Ear Plugs. They saved my sanity. The hospital was so loud and noisy as well as my room mate her family.

I sent my husband out for the gas ex strips, nose spray and tweezers( something about surgery sent my few annoying facial hairs to grow overtime)

I did need my robe, but stayed in the hospital gowns and used the slipper socks they put on me before surgery.

They gave me a cough bear that they put a tshirt on with the hospital logo and the name Bari Bear on it. (not sure if I like that bariatic term on it) and it was huge in helping walking and getting up and coughing.