Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just had my surgery on 9/7/10. I been having difficulty eating the purees and drinking my Protein Shake, to the point of completely stopping from drinking the shakes and attempting to make a meal. I've been drinking liquids enough. Recently (as in a couple of days ago), I began to get nauseous whenever I take my chewable Vitamin and eating SOMETHING. Now I get nauseous all day long without eating anything and I have a heartburn like sensation at the top of my throat. My post-op appointment is in 2 weeks and I thought I'd ask here before calling my surgeon for some advice. Is it because I'm not eating that I'm getting nauseous?

Try Over the counter Prilosec or call your surgeon and ask if they can prescribe a PPI, something like Nexium.

Many WLS patients need some type of acid reducer after surgery.

I take a prilosec in the morning and a Pepcid mid afternoon if I need it.

I had a few episodes of major nausea (as well as that annoying mild all-day nausea your post also suggests) right around the 2-3 week mark as well. I had one episode that was really bad and unrelated to food, so I went to the ER. A shit-show followed, and once they decided I didn't have a leak (my biggest concern at the time), they sent me home instructing me to double my Nexium. When I called Dr. Aceves 2 days later, he suggested the same, but also asked me to do an upper GI (barium) to rule out a diverticulum, which is a possible complication. I doubled my Nexium for a few days, but I didn't seem to notice any difference on 2 occasions when I forgot to take my 2nd one, so after a week, I went back to 1 pill/day. I haven't had nausea issues since. I never had that heartburn sensation you're describing. I postponed my upper GI to the 3-month mark as my symptoms subsided.

so far this is the worst part of the recovery for me. I seem to be nauseous no matter what I do-- if I eat, if I don't eat, when I drink Water, when I drink Protein, whatever. I woke up at 3:30am last night because I all of a sudden needed to vomit. A major bout of diarrhea followed. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong at this point, but I feel like I have the worst stomach flu ever.

so far this is the worst part of the recovery for me. I seem to be nauseous no matter what I do-- if I eat, if I don't eat, when I drink Water, when I drink Protein, whatever. I woke up at 3:30am last night because I all of a sudden needed to vomit. A major bout of diarrhea followed. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong at this point, but I feel like I have the worst stomach flu ever.

I do feel a little like I have no appetite and I did feel a tiny bit of nausea after eating some potato Soup a few days ago. Yours sounds a little extreme though, have you contacted your surgeon just for follow up? They might have some advice to help you with it.

I've been upping my Water and it has helped a lot, but you mention you've already been trying that.

I hope you get to feeling better soon~!!

I was getting nauseated often too. I noticed it especially after taking my Multivitamin. After researching on here and speaking to my surgeon it turns out the multivitamin was the cause! The surgeon said he has received a lot of complaints about the brand - Bariatric Advantage. I got some samples from him for Celebrate Vitamins and it looks like I'll be switching to them.

Have you tried using different Vitamins? You can get free samples online, too.

I was getting nauseated often too. I noticed it especially after taking my multivitamin. After researching on here and speaking to my surgeon it turns out the multivitamin was the cause! The surgeon said he has received a lot of complaints about the brand - Bariatric Advantage. I got some samples from him for Celebrate Vitamins and it looks like I'll be switching to them.

Have you tried using different Vitamins? You can get free samples online, too.

Most vitamins, minerals, and Iron supplements can be hard on the stomach and really should not be taken on an empty stomach. It's best to take a few drinks of your Protein shake then take your vitamins/supplements and then drink more.

I do feel a little like I have no appetite and I did feel a tiny bit of nausea after eating some potato Soup a few days ago. Yours sounds a little extreme though, have you contacted your surgeon just for follow up? They might have some advice to help you with it.

I've been upping my Water and it has helped a lot, but you mention you've already been trying that.

I hope you get to feeling better soon~!!

Still experiencing this. Had another vomit/dizzy episode at around 5am and ended up dry-heaving since my stomach was totally empty. Called my doc today and he said to try to take a spoonful of malox an hour before bed, so we'll see if that works. I'm getting food down during the day but just not feeling well in general... just sick all the time. Wish me luck! I'm totally regretting my decision right now. It's really rough :)

Still experiencing this. Had another vomit/dizzy episode at around 5am and ended up dry-heaving since my stomach was totally empty. Called my doc today and he said to try to take a spoonful of malox an hour before bed, so we'll see if that works. I'm getting food down during the day but just not feeling well in general... just sick all the time. Wish me luck! I'm totally regretting my decision right now. It's really rough :(

I am sooo sorry to hear you still aren't feeling good. Something you said struck me though... I've noticed my stomach feels more "sick" at night. I was beginning to wonder if it were because maybe my PPI wasn't working as good as when I first took it in the AM. For you, of course by morning you would feel very ill.

Which PPI are you taking? I was taking Nexium which was given to me in the hospital. I recently ran out and as of today I started taking Prevacid 24 Hour. I also have a box of Omeprazole (Prilosec) I plan to try to see which one works best for me. Usually by this time of night my stomach is giving me ill feelings, but tonight I actually feel ok right now. I didn't even think about it until you mentioned this.

Do you think maybe you should try a new PPI? I've heard not having the right one, or not using one at all can give us sleevers a bad time for our tummies, especially in the very beginning.

Just a thought... feel better soon! :001_smile:

I'm still having nausea after anytime I eat a puree item. I felt good this morning waking up, had my clear Protein shot/crystal light. Felt good up until lunchtime, decided to try a pudding. It was a smooth yoplait thing, seemed okay. I felt uncomfortable about halfway through it so figured I was full, put the rest away. Now since then I've had awful nausea. Am I eating too much? Or am I just maybe not ready for purees? I am Day 13 post-op. Stay on liquids a little while longer? Ugh, I hate the nausea feeling. Help!

I'm still having nausea after anytime I eat a puree item. I felt good this morning waking up, had my clear Protein shot/crystal light. Felt good up until lunchtime, decided to try a pudding. It was a smooth yoplait thing, seemed okay. I felt uncomfortable about halfway through it so figured I was full, put the rest away. Now since then I've had awful nausea. Am I eating too much? Or am I just maybe not ready for purees? I am Day 13 post-op. Stay on liquids a little while longer? Ugh, I hate the nausea feeling. Help!

Maybe it wouldnt hurt to go on liquids again for a day and start over? I heard it really takes a long time to get used to progressing into more foods.

Nothing wrong with taking it easy!

I'm just now starting to progress a little bit more outside of just Soups. I had some mashed up Beans for dinner tonight and 2 tiny bites of artichoke dip at a family picnic. Other than that I just still slurp on my Protein shakes for meals.

What are Protein Shots?

Lisa

I felt much better yesterday after I went to just my clear Protein shot/crystal light combo and some chicken broth. Felt really good and had a greek yogurt for dinner which was FINE. Then was HUNGRY! Which was a great feeling... and I had a vanilla pudding. Also FINE. I am going to just take it slow.....

Lisa for me, I was on 2 weeks of Clear Liquids but had to get Protein in, so I found these:

Hormel Healthy Shot https://www.homecarenutrition.com/HHL/nxcsc.nsf/ListProducts?openagent&ListMenuEntry=6E7F3EE5EE83D2F485257625004FB354&MenuEntry=6E7F3EE5EE83D2F485257625004FB354&SID=1C04BA3C0E62630C852577B10048689F

ANd Proasis I found at Rite Aid [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Proasis-Clear-Fruit-Punch-Pack/dp/B001XUQLCM/ref=pd_sim_hpc_4]Amazon.com: Proasis Clear fruit Punch, 2.9 fl. oz., 6 Pack: Health & Personal Care[/ame] (I used fruit punch and white grape)

The key to these Protein Shots for ME... was that they were very small. Only 2.5 or 2.9oz. I mixed them with a glass of crystal light lemonade and sipped on it. Got it done in about an hour or so and automatically got 25g of protein in for my day. If I do two of them, I fulfilled my protein quota. I felt so much better after surgery when I started getting protein, and it was hard to do with no food allowed!!! They don't taste the best, but w/ the crystal light, I managed okay.

SO after fighting this Nausea, vomiting and heartburn, I called my doctor. He prescribed me pills for nausea and told me to take some over the counter heartburn meds. So, I've been taking Pepcid. I also have been having what others call "slime" or "foam". I've been confused because others are saying they get it when they eat too much or too fast. For me it just comes on for no reason. I don't eat and am dehydrated. I was just hospitalized on Wednesday for dehydration and to see what was going on. I was on an IV drip and was given a whole bunch of unknown meds. Felt good while i was in the hospital besides the spit.

Now that I'm home, I'm back to where I was, throwing up and the nausea and ridiculous heartburn. I'm taking everything he's told me, I' back on liquids and trying to keep as hydrated as I can while throwing up, but nothing seems to help. Now i'm feeling really dizzying and faint and am shaking again. I'm very desperate to get better, I feel like I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what.

Does anyone have any advice? I've talked to my surgeon but he doesn't seem to know what's going on.