Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When will my hair stop falling out??

I think this is the only side effect I am really worried about. I have SUPER thin hair. Even a little loss and I'll be bald!

So, since I DO have bald spots, and tomorrow will be my 5 month surgevarsary...when can I expect to get new growth? My Dr. says it should quit falling out at 6 months..(another month to go...OH MY !!)

When it grows back, will it be thicker, the same or does it depend on genetics? I've heard that cancer patients get their old color and thicker hair. However, our nutrition is not quite the same as presurgery without all the multitude of Vitamins that we pop all day long.

I'm REALLY trying not to stress over this whole hair thing, but these bald spots are getting harder to cover...lol :)

My hair pre-op was super wavy almost curly to be honest. But, now it is stick straight. I have little to no volume even at 15 months out, and my hair quit falling out around 6.5 months out. I do have major regrowth. I have new baby hairs growing in all over the place, and the hair that started growing back in several months back is 7-9 inches. I still have some chia pet hairs that stand straight up on top of my head that are only 2-3 inches long. My stylist predicted that my hair won't be back to "normal" pre-op volume for another year.

When can I expect this lovely Hair loss to begin?

When can I expect this lovely hair loss to begin?

It typically starts around 3-5 months post op.

I also wanted to throw out there that I had my gallbladder removed in February, and my shedding started again in May. It wasn't as severe, but I still lost more hair than normal shedding. It only lasted 2 months.

My hair has been falling out for over a month or so. I had it cut shorter than it already was, and went wig shopping just in case. I didn't buy one, but I know where to get one, and what style I want.

The top of my head is showing through my thin hair. My hairdresser will not color it while it is so fragile, and has told me not to use appliances like blow dryers, curling/flat irons.

It is a mess.

My hair is really, really thin also. I have also heard that the anesthesia can cause you to lose it. As long as my weight is coming off, I will just put a rag over my hair if I have to. It's not easy being beautiful, but I'm sure gonna give it a try, even if I have to wear a rag on my bald head!!!

I am actually trying to keep my daily calorie intake between 1200-1600 to keep my weight loss slow. I want to lose about 10lbs/month (which is healthy) in order to avoid the many pitfalls of too-rapid weight loss. I'm hoping it will keep my hair in my head, and allow my skin an opportunity to keep up. I'm taking an Omega 3-6-9 oil as well as eating things like olives, to keep my unsaturated fat intake high. Keeping up with my Protein intake (about 70-80g /day) and Vitamins as well.

Tiffy posted an interesting article a couple of months back about the reasons for Hair loss (in all my years of nursing- I don't believe in a million years that it has ANYTHING to do with anesthesia, otherwise we'd be seeing it in our myriad of other surgical patients, many of whom have endured far more complicated surgeries; we don't). It seems to be purely hormonal- which makes a ton of sense. That's why I'm keeping my weight loss slow, in an effort to keep at bay a hormonal storm. I'm only 3 weeks post-op, but I'll definately keep you posted if I do or do not lose my hair. I'd like to see if slower weight loss is the answer.

Hey, Tiffy- maybe that article is worth another re-post...

I'm two months post-op, and haven't noticed hair loss. My quixotic thinking believes I will dodge it, but it doesn't sound like it from all the posts...

My husband dealt with pretty darn bad Hair loss about five years ago. Someone recommended aloe vera mixed into his Shampoo. He blends, literally blends, half his shampoo bottle with all the gooey stuff inside the aloe vera. He opens up one large piece of aloe vera and scrapes all the goey stuff off and into the blender it goes. Once blended he lets it sit for about 20 minutes, then transfers it to the shampoo bottle. His hair didn't show much regrowth, but it definitley stopped falling out. He thinks he has managed to slow down the balding process, and I believe it. By the way, he uses Nora Ross's Garlic Shampoo.

As for me, I plan to try it. I didn't buy Nora Ross because I have two huge bottles of Dove shampoo and conditioner stocked in the closet and think I shoud use them. I plan to mix both shampoo and conditioner with aloe vera. I'll also begin Biotin next week. I'll update on my efforts. I lost half my hair at 30 due to hormonal changes and stress. It's frightening to consider further hair loss, but we knew it was a huge possibility going into surgery. God help us and give us the peace we need. He will, just pray on it!

I am actually trying to keep my daily calorie intake between 1200-1600 to keep my weight loss slow. I want to lose about 10lbs/month (which is healthy) in order to avoid the many pitfalls of too-rapid weight loss. I'm hoping it will keep my hair in my head, and allow my skin an opportunity to keep up. I'm taking an Omega 3-6-9 oil as well as eating things like olives, to keep my unsaturated fat intake high. Keeping up with my Protein intake (about 70-80g /day) and Vitamins as well.

Tiffy posted an interesting article a couple of months back about the reasons for Hair loss (in all my years of nursing- I don't believe in a million years that it has ANYTHING to do with anesthesia, otherwise we'd be seeing it in our myriad of other surgical patients, many of whom have endured far more complicated surgeries; we don't). It seems to be purely hormonal- which makes a ton of sense. That's why I'm keeping my weight loss slow, in an effort to keep at bay a hormonal storm. I'm only 3 weeks post-op, but I'll definately keep you posted if I do or do not lose my hair. I'd like to see if slower weight loss is the answer.

Hey, Tiffy- maybe that article is worth another re-post...

Here's both the articles on hair loss:

I believe it has to do with our hormones as well(damn that estrogen) because we do not read about men losing their hair like we do. Also, I lost hair when I had my son, when I had my gallbladder out in February, and post sleeve.

I never lost hair with my band. But, I barely lost any weight either.

I shared one of the articles earlier in the post, but here is both of them.

Telogen Effluvium: eMedicine Dermatology

Telogen Effluvium Hair Loss

Here's the webmd publication

Effluviums (Telogen and More): Causes, Treatments, and More

Hiya, im was going to have a band but my consultant advised me to get a sleeve.... i noticed you had your band out and replaced it with a sleeve, do you feel you made the right decision

regards laila

Hiya, im was going to have a band but my consultant advised me to get a sleeve.... i noticed you had your band out and replaced it with a sleeve, do you feel you made the right decision

regards laila

It's the best decision I ever made. The band destroyed my stomach tissue. I lost 140+ pounds with VSG along in 10.5 months. I'm healthy, happy and feel amazing ! ! !