Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

just wanted to check in. I can't say my recovery has been smooth. I am not having stomach spasams anymore, but my problem is I can barely eat or drink anything.

I feel full after about 1/8 cup or less of anything, and the full feeling lasts for 3-4 hours making it hard to drink. I feel weak and tired all the time. I have been out of the house a few times and get tired so fast

I actually hesitate to eat because I know how bad I will feel after.

I am begining to wonder if I will ever be able to eat somewhat normal again

I am 3 1/2 weeks post op, and looking for any words of encouragement, or anyone who has had similar problems and made it past them.

Thanks for listening

Sherri

Edited by disp4so
spelling

Sherri, hang on in there. It will get better, but make sure you are getting enough Fluid. I had bad periods after the op, wondering if I would be able to eat enough to live on, but as my stomach healed and the swelling subsided it got better. I still have days when I feel like I can't even get a drink down, but if you relax it subsides. Some days I can eat a bowl of food, it's quite odd really. Maybe you should see your doctor for some reassurance too.The people here will help too, I am sure you will be deluged with support and advice.

Jane x

I'm just 2 days out, but I can get all my fluids in by doing the "sippy sippy" all day. I think you just have to get used to it--no gulps or regular swallows, that will make your tummy hurt. I've been doing Isopure Plus RTD drinks to make sure I get Protein and liquid in at the same time (double duty) while on clears. So far I've got a burping issue, but I've seen others say that will go away. If it hurts you to even drink sippy style, definitely call your surgeon. Good luck!

when you say sip... is it close to a regular sip before op? just curious on how small of a sip we are talking about. I have not had surgery yet but would like to get a heads up on the amount. :)

I would guess that is was approximately 1/2 of what you'd normally sip. I had to do that for at least the first 2 weeks. It is frustrating but it will definitely get easier. Good luck:)

I didn't have the stomach spasms like you are talking about, Sherri, but I wasn't able to eat or drink much either. Have you lost the 57 lbs since your surgery? Or does that include a pre-op phase? That a LOT of weight to lose!

I still have to take one drink of Water at a time and wait for it to go down before I take another. I still have to take one bite at a time, chew thoroughly, wait for it to go down, then take another. But I can see that things have slowly gotten more comfortable with every day.

I agree that you should talk to your doctor about it. They can do a blood work up to see how you are doing.

Keep talking about how you "feel", though. We're here for you.

Like a toddler would get from a sippy cup--not enough to fill or even half fill the mouth, just little sips. No straws allowed. Some people disagree with that, but I've heard it from more than one doctor, so no straws for me!

The first 2 days after surgery, I could drink just fine, but then all the swelling really set in for me. It got harder and harder to get stuff down. The liquids were hard enough, much less to try to force food down. We all heal differently. There was one lady earlier today that posted she has been on 3 trips at only 5 1/2 weeks out. But, if you are like me....it takes time. That could be all it is. I am 6 weeks out tomorrow and still have some swelling. I know that isn't typical but it sure makes a difference on how much you can put into your tummy. As the swelling started to go down, drinking and then eating became easier. I know Proteins are a big concern but right now your main focus needs to be on Water.

Your weakness is understandable as your body isn't getting the "fuel" it needs to run. It does get easier I promise. Just try to sip, sip , sip and if you can eat a little great. We don't all progress at the same rate, so don't get yourself down comparing yourself with others. Trust me, that will only get you down. Focus on the progress you have made to this point and know that it gets better and easier. Your time will come. Hang in there. We're pulling for you.

Good point about the possibility of swelling after the 2nd day. I'm taking liquid Tylenol which might be helping with the swelling, letting me drink more. Whatever the case is, hang in there, and go sippy sippy as much as you can! We're all rooting for you!

I have had arnica recomended to take before an op to stop the swelling. Haven't tried it myself but it sounds plausable. May help you now.

Jane x

I felt pretty much the same. I am able to eat a 6 oz yogurt in 60 minutes now. I can drink at least 40-45 oz of Fluid in a day and get about 50 - 60 g of Protein in at 4 1/2 weeks. I am still tired but not nearly as weak as I was 2 weeks ago. It seems to get better every day and then some days are better than others. I do better when I get enough fluid and protein and take my Vitamin. Try sugar free Popsicles to get ore fluids

Hello I'm almost 2.5 months post op and I still have to eat slowly and drink slowly. Sometimes I get into my old habits and grab a glass of Water and try to gulp it. WHat am I thinking??? I'm still learning how to eat and drink with my new stomach. And my stomach will let me know when I drank or eat it to fast. Because I get heartburn. Everyday is a new day on how to adjust and make my health better.

I make sure I get about 70-90 grams of Protein a day. A lot of Protein Shakes. I'm a vegetarian so I'm challenged! I feel so tired daily and I wonder if I'm missing something? I think I will go to the doctor and have my labs ran. Any suggestions? Oh I'm 2.5 weeks post op. I wonder if its hypoglycemic?

Mont247- I'm 23 days from surgery. I'm tired often too. I even posted about it. It's normal at this stage. Try to get enough fluids in and give yourself a break.

You can do this!

It will get better. My first 10 days was a challenge, no energy, barely could sip Water or even look at Protein Shakes. I am now almost 4 weeks postop and feeling great now. Everyone is different, but just know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. You will recover fully and start to feel normal again soon. Best wishes on your journey.