Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

What kind of pre-op tests?

Views
Started by TnT, Jul 14, 2010 7:39 PM
11 replies to this topic
11 replies to this topic

TnT

Novice

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
Posted July 14, 2010 - 7:39 PM

I keep reading that there is extensive testing before surgery to make sure that you can have the surgery...what kind of tests? I assume blood pressure, etc...but can't find any place on line that tells me all of them.

Also, I have some pretty substantial swelling in my lower legs that my doctor attributes to my weight. I take lasix for it, but it doesn't do much...is this going to be an issue for my surgery?

Tiffykins

Believes in the Sleeve

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • My Blogs
Posted July 14, 2010 - 7:43 PM

I had a full panel of blood work, eKg, chest xray, and some other diagnostics performed directly related to my clotting disorder, and other medical history. Some require an EGD, sleep study, stress test, etc etc based on each patient's own medical history, and ailments.

I'm not sure about the lasix issue.

kansas1973

Advanced Member

Posted July 14, 2010 - 8:58 PM

I just finished my pre-op testing today.
I had a sleep study done a couple of months ago, followed by an EGD (endoscopy) a month later.
Today, I went to the hospital that I'm having the surgery at (in a week!). A nurse took a quick medical history, vitals (blood pressure, pulse, heartbeat) then took me to a lab for an EKG, which is totally painless. Then I had a couple of vials of blood drawn for standard pre-op testing (CBC, Chem-7, Full Metabolic Panel, etc.) and gave a urine sample. Then I had a chest xray and that was it.

euphoric-in-tx

Novice

Posted July 14, 2010 - 9:14 PM

The only text I was required to do was blood work and an EKG. I'm thinking because I am fairly young and have no previous medical history of my own only (family medical history that is horrible)

Donna4545

Bariatric Guru

• My Blogs
Posted July 14, 2010 - 9:44 PM

I had chest xray,blood work, ecg, physical and medical history, pulmonnologist consult because I have asthma, psych eval, nutrition class. The xray and ecg and blood work were done in my gps office, the psych eval, nutritionist, surgeon consult, and info session weRe all on the same day in the bariatric cliNic.

These tests had to be within 30 days of surgery

Calgarygirl

Posted July 14, 2010 - 10:14 PM

where are you all getting your surgery done?? Im going to Mexico and I think its done that morning? Im not sure yet though as I still need to find out all the ins and out still :confused1:

Roseib

Junior Guru

Posted July 15, 2010 - 11:27 PM

I keep reading that there is extensive testing before surgery to make sure that you can have the surgery...what kind of tests? I assume blood pressure, etc...but can't find any place on line that tells me all of them.

Also, I have some pretty substantial swelling in my lower legs that my doctor attributes to my weight. I take lasix for it, but it doesn't do much...is this going to be an issue for my surgery?

Hello, I too have swelling in my legs, primarily the left leg and my surgeon required me to have a cardiology clearance. Luckily they worked me in quickly and within five weeks of my initial consult with surgeon (5/21) I had surgery 6/29. All's well so far!

The cardiology clearance involved an EKG, an echocardiogram of my carotid arteries and my heart, an ultrasound of my legs to check for vein blockage (blood clots), and a stress test. I'm self-pay and had to put up another $1500 for the cardiology tests which was a bummer, but better safe than sorry on the operating table. Nothing painful except a little discomfort on the stress test as I have severe osteoarthritis in knees, so they induced stress through medicine. It wasn't bad, though.

Hope that helps. All doctors are different. Yours may not request the cardiology clearance, but one of the the worst possible things that could happen would be a blood clot to break lose during surgery.

Good luck!

p.s. the ultrasound and echocardiogram were kind of neat! The technician had the sound turned on so I could actually hear the blood swishing through the veins in my legs and also the sound of my heart. The biggest expense as a self-pay was the stress test -- almost $1,000!

Edited by Roseib, July 15, 2010 - 11:52 PM.
added p.s.

Sunshine

Expert Member

Posted July 16, 2010 - 1:32 AM

My pretesting consisted of the following (it was done 2 days ago):
- Upper GI (swallow test)
- EKG (done it about 2 seconds...literally)
- BP, P, R and they took blood

That's it. It was all done in less than 2 hours.

Maddie

Bariatric Evangelist

• My Blogs
Posted July 16, 2010 - 1:46 AM

It depends on your ins. company, your doctor, and your medical history as to what tests will be required. I personally had to have:

endoscopy
sleep study
ekg
stress test
pulmonary function test
blood/urine work

Edited by Maddie, July 16, 2010 - 11:14 AM.

Papillon

Junior Guru

Posted July 16, 2010 - 8:58 AM

Our surgeon required:

Clearance from a Psychologist
Sleep Test
EKG
Ultrasound
Upper GI - Barium eww
Blood work & urine test (you need to fast)
Clearance from your PCP

So far... that is the gauntlet. Waiting on insurance approval now..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Trending Topics