Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many calories should I be taking in???

I am 3 weeks post op and I cannot find anywhere how many calories I should be eatting. Does anyone know what they were told?? I have been in a stall for 7 days now and am wondering if I am eatting to much or to little!

I am 3 weeks post op and I cannot find anywhere how many calories I should be eatting. Does anyone know what they were told?? I have been in a stall for 7 days now and am wondering if I am eatting to much or to little!

For myself, I don't watch calories as much as what I put in my mouth. For instance, I've gotten rid of all drinks with calories except the one cup of coffee I allow myself in the morning with sugar and cream. I eat chicken, pork or lean beef and a lot of salads. I look at the carbs on everything I eat and stay away from having a lot of carbs in a day. If I choose a 3 bean salad for lunch (a lot of carbs in Beans but the Fiber & Protein is good for me), then I'll have chicken filet and salad for dinner.

My doctor didn't talk to me about calories as much as the bad food choices I had made in the past that got me to where I was.

For myself, I don't watch calories as much as what I put in my mouth. For instance, I've gotten rid of all drinks with calories except the one cup of coffee I allow myself in the morning with sugar and cream. I eat chicken, pork or lean beef and a lot of salads. I look at the carbs on everything I eat and stay away from having a lot of carbs in a day. If I choose a 3 bean salad for lunch (a lot of carbs in Beans but the Fiber & Protein is good for me), then I'll have chicken filet and salad for dinner.

My doctor didn't talk to me about calories as much as the bad food choices I had made in the past that got me to where I was.

Around how many carbs do you try to stay under per day?

Around how many carbs do you try to stay under per day?

I don't keep track in a systematic way (maybe I will if I experience a stall), but the number my mind is looking at is 30 per day. If I was in a stall, I would probably actually write them down, because I'm convinced carbs are what keeps me from losing weight.

I have to mention exercise too. I've been trying to actually get my heartrate up for long enough to sweat several times a week. I believe this jump starts my body to break down fat after it uses what I have eaten that day.

Now, I am just one person... how about it folks? Do you have carb or calorie limits that you try to stay within?

Dr. Aceves gave a very detailed guideline on how many calories, carbs, fat, Protein we should be taking in each day. Calorie guideline was 600-800 per day. Most days I am in the 550 range. His guideline on carbs and fat was no more than 60 g a day and on Protein a minimum of 60 g per day. I limit my fat and carbs to 30 g a day.

I hope this helps!

Dr. Aceves gave a very detailed guideline on how many calories, carbs, fat, Protein we should be taking in each day. Calorie guideline was 600-800 per day. Most days I am in the 550 range. His guideline on carbs and fat was no more than 60 g a day and on Protein a minimum of 60 g per day. I limit my fat and carbs to 30 g a day.

I hope this helps!

Thanks Angie, that helps ALOT!!!

I've never been good at (or interested in) counting calories, carbs, etc... And I've dieted successfully in the past without doing so. It seems to me that if you follow the guidelines that everyone seems to agree on, to use sugar free and fat free products and to focus on Proteins first, then veggies, then occasional carbs, you won't overdue the calories or the carbs. I'm working from this standpoint right now within the guidelines of my post op diet and I hope it will allow me to live "counting" free.

I didn't count calories most days, for the first two weeks i know that they were probably around 600, then after that around 1200 a day. Higher than a lot of people take in, but i didn't want my body to go into starvation mode from losing weight too quickly. I still managed to lose 16 lbs the first month with NO exercise at all.